Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"We're the highest-paid narrow-body (jet) pilots in the free world," he said...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"We're the highest-paid narrow-body (jet) pilots in the free world," he said. "I wish we could beat our chests and say SWAPA did that, but it's only because events ... brought everyone else down below us."

SWAPA UNION LEADER

So there are higher paid narrow-body pilots in the non-free world?

"We're the highest-paid narrow-body (jet) pilots in the free world,"

KLM 73 captains get 180.000 Euro's a year (1 Euro = 1.30 USD)... widebody captains get up to 230.000 Euro a year.

FD

"We're the highest-paid narrow-body (jet) pilots in the free world," he said. "I wish we could beat our chests and say SWAPA did that, but it's only because events ... brought everyone else down below us."

SWAPA UNION LEADER

If we pass our TA, we AirTran pilots will be the highest paid DC-9 type rated pilots in the free world, but we won't have any scope or work rules and our per diem will be stagnant for a decade.

And how much do they give back to the government?

Take into consideration ALL aspects of life, medical care, retirement and so on and they pay much less than you!

There is a little reality check that we need to come to grips with over here in the States, we are payed lower than our counterparts (pilots) in most of the industrialized nations, and our civil services are underpar.
But if it brings some comfort to burry your head in the sand? I'm sure that your 90,000 D a year brings you a more comfortable and rewarding lifestyle than their 250,000 D a year does:rolleyes:

KLM 73 captains get 180.000 Euro's a year (1 Euro = 1.30 USD)... widebody captains get up to 230.000 Euro a year.

FD

Bad example. I am pretty sure The Netherlands are free. Denmark too by the way.

Well, it's a bad example of a "non-free-world" country paying more, as yes, both of those countries are free, but what it DOES do is prove the point that Southwest pilot ARE NOT the highest-paid narrow-body pilots in the free world, although they're close.

And Dumb Pilot is correct, our social services are FAR under-par compared to the rest of the world's industrialized nations and THEIR citizens know it. When's the last time you heard of a German, Dutch, or Scandinavian citizen sneaking across the border to work here in the U.S. illegally?

You may pay a lot in taxes (50-60%) but their pay is higher to begin with AND they don't have to pay medical insurance (government-provided) every month out of THEIR OWN money. I'd be more interested in seeing how many days off and how much vacation a KLM guy gets starting at year 1 compared to Southwest.

Not that we could go to work there, but it might put it in perspective. Southwest is a great career choice for U.S. citizens and, even if the pay rates only come up for COLA, it would STILL be one of the best-compensated pilot positions in the country.

Well, it's a bad example of a "non-free-world" country paying more, as yes, both of those countries are free, but what it DOES do is prove the point that Southwest pilot ARE NOT the highest-paid narrow-body pilots in the free world, although they're close.

And Dumb Pilot is correct, our social services are FAR under-par compared to the rest of the world's industrialized nations and THEIR citizens know it. When's the last time you heard of a German, Dutch, or Scandinavian citizen sneaking across the border to work here in the U.S. illegally?

You may pay a lot in taxes (50-60%) but their pay is higher to begin with AND they don't have to pay medical insurance (government-provided) every month out of THEIR OWN money. I'd be more interested in seeing how many days off and how much vacation a KLM guy gets starting at year 1 compared to Southwest.

Not that we could go to work there, but it might put it in perspective. Southwest is a great career choice for U.S. citizens and, even if the pay rates only come up for COLA, it would STILL be one of the best-compensated pilot positions in the country.

Somebody understands. Thank you.

Latest resources

Back