Well, 5 more years in the right seat.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You obviously support the change,...

Your rapier insight and perception is indeed staggering.

...and your best argument is to deal with it because you put in the time.

I said nothing of having put in the time. I did, however, state that one should deal with it. Your power to read is surpassed only by your perception of the obvious. Your reading comprehension does appear to suffer somewhat, though.

With logic like that we should let these geezers go until they die.

You can draw what you wish from my comments, but the fact remains that the President of the United States signed into law a resoloution upping the age to 65. If you wish to introduce legislation to up the cutoff age to a blanket "death" limit, then by all means, knock yourself out. I, of course, said nothing of the kind.

I do not, however, see a need for any age limits.

Formerly, the age limit for pilots WAS 65. It's been restored, that's all, and it's in line with most of the rest of the planet. Welcome to the modern world.

The thing is this: you want what you don't have, and you want those above you with greater seniority and experience to roll over and die so you can get it. That's just tough for you, isn't it?

Whine all you like. It won't change the law.

[ Welcome to reality. Take some prozac and move on.
__________________ey think they're somehow more important. Newsflash, kids; you want what the next guy has? Tough. It's not yours. The older pilot has already put in the time; he's in the position to decide to go a few more years, not you. Deal with it.

The pathetic whining about what you think is your due only speaks poorly of you, each of you. It's not your due. You don't have a right here (even your pilot certificate is a privilege). You think you're owed something? You're wrong. Get over it. You're owned nothing.

Welcome to reality. Take some prozac and move on.[/quote]

OK...pass the prozac. While I'm waiting for it to kick in, I'll be thinking about the promotion you got because of the age 60 rule. A promotion born on the backs of those wrongly excomunicated from the Captain's seat. The seniority they earned stolen so the likes of you could replace them. I bet you laughed all the way to the bank back then, didn't you? What did you do back then to protect those pilots who were wrongly removed from the seat they had worked years to earn? Or was this something you got interested in in your late 50's?

What's the difference between a pilot and a jet engine? The engine stops whining after the flight.

A quick story here....I had a friend who's dad flew for Pan Am and one day I was perusing their company newsletter and reading a section dedicated to promotions and noticed that ALL the FO's (probably 30 or 40 in that newsletter) had been in the right seat a minimum 20 years before he was upgraded to captain....can you imagine?

Last edited:
What's the difference between a pilot and a jet engine? The engine stops whining after the flight.

A quick story here....I had a friend who's dad flew for Pan Am and one day I was perusing their company newsletter and reading a section dedicated to promotions and noticed that ALL the FO's (probably 30 or 40 in that newsletter) had been in the right seat a minimum 20 years before he was upgraded to captain....can you imagine?

12 +5 more minimum, yes I can.............must feel goo d to reap the rewards and then stick it to the rest of us. As long as you can feel good about it more power to you, I wish I had no conscience.

What we have in the crowd that's got their panties in a knot over the age issue is the "me" crowd. Gotta have it now. World revolves around them. They think they're somehow more important. Newsflash, kids; you want what the next guy has? Tough. It's not yours. The older pilot has already put in the time; he's in the position to decide to go a few more years, not you. Deal with it.

Good point, but the argument still remains;

The older pilot got it when he did thanks to a rule that made guys bang out at 60, not 65.

Older guys

Which one of the older guys signed the law into effect? I thought the President of the United States did it.. If any one got hosed, it was by the congress and the President..As for why they might stay? Even at our little company, a senior Captain is looking at $700,000.00 in additional salary,Good prices on medical(many of whom have dependents with major health care issues)plus keeping $400,000.00 of life insurance in effect.Not to mention five more years of 401K contributions. At the end of five years,he will be eligible for Medicare and a good social security check. Contrast that with a minimum of $1400-$1600 a month for medical (provided you or a family member has no pre-existing conditions),no social security and only as much life insurance as you can afford. Everyone who has had this law affect them will benefit in the same manner when their time to be old arrives.Just my thoughts on a very sore subject.

Which one of the older guys signed the law into effect? I thought the President of the United States did it.. If any one got hosed, it was by the congress and the President..As for why they might stay? Even at our little company, a senior Captain is looking at $700,000.00 in additional salary,Good prices on medical(many of whom have dependents with major health care issues)plus keeping $400,000.00 of life insurance in effect.Not to mention five more years of 401K contributions. At the end of five years,he will be eligible for Medicare and a good social security check. Contrast that with a minimum of $1400-$1600 a month for medical (provided you or a family member has no pre-existing conditions),no social security and only as much life insurance as you can afford. Everyone who has had this law affect them will benefit in the same manner when their time to be old arrives.Just my thoughts on a very sore subject.

Good point and well said!

$700k in additional salary? Dude, maybe there's a reason your an F/O.

Those are perfectly realistic numbers for our company. And you need to pay more attention to the little notes on the left side of Flyer8's screen, re: F/O reference, an unintentional (I'm sure...) insult.

Back to the subject: We have only a 401(k). Once we retire, the company pays us zero. No incentive to "make" anyone stay until any mandated, fair or not, retirement age. I can live with seniority stagnation. This was going to happen sooner or later. Hopefully, we'll be able to retire by choice at some age when full Social Security benefits become available. A lot of us DON'T want to work to 65, but most of us need to work at least a little past 60 for various reasons. As long as you can pass a check ride and a real physical (i.e, no "walk thrus"), as brought up above.

Latest resources

Back