• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Well, 5 more years in the right seat.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No question, a 50 to 60 year-old's reaction time is slowing down, I see it in myself, it's unmistakeable.

There's very little in the airplane that needs a "quick reaction." Most of the time the best thing a pilot can do is sit on his hands and count to ten while he thinks about it, then proceed slowly and methodically. I've seen too many hotshots try to shut down the wrong engine or get too smart for their own good, reinvent he wheel. It's just not necessary.

The most dangerous thing in the cockpit is the pilot. Slow down. Age isn't a bad thing.

What we have in the crowd that's got their panties in a knot over the age issue is the "me" crowd. Gotta have it now. World revolves around them. They think they're somehow more important. Newsflash, kids; you want what the next guy has? Tough. It's not yours. The older pilot has already put in the time; he's in the position to decide to go a few more years, not you. Deal with it.

The pathetic whining about what you think is your due only speaks poorly of you, each of you. It's not your due. You don't have a right here (even your pilot certificate is a privilege). You think you're owed something? You're wrong. Get over it. You're owned nothing.

Welcome to reality. Take some prozac and move on.

World revolves around them. They think they're somehow more important. Newsflash, kids; you want what the next guy has? Tough. It's not yours. The older pilot has already put in the time; he's in the position to decide to go a few more years, not you. Deal with it.

You Sir sound like the whiner. You obviously support the change, and your best argument is to deal with it because you put in the time. With logic like that we should let these geezers go until they die.

This whole issue was pushed by the unions and the companies. I do not know why but now we have only delayed the "pilot shortage" for 5 years. I guess that is until you get your buddies to change age 65 to age 70. The whole issue of a shortage could be corrected by the free market. Pay more and more people will become pilots. Pay crap and get a 200 hr newbie flying your RJ.

This issue is all about economics. The pensions went bust, and now you have to fly till you die to pay for your home, wives, and vices. If the pilots (read ALPA) would have stood up and shut down the whole industry the first time a Legacy airline put the pilots pensions into the PPG this would not be an issue. We can only blame ourselves. I for one want to thank all you senior geezers for screwing me again. Now I will have to fly until I die just to make captain.:beer:

What makes everyone think that just because you CAN fly until you're 65 means you WILL fly until you're 65??? There is nothing that says you have to fly until they force you out. Any smart pilot has long since established his own retirement fund, and can retire whenever he dam well pleases.

I've been staying out of this until now, but you all do realize that there are tons of pilots in Europe and Asia that are flying until age 65 and their doing a great job at it, even with 200 hour fo's sitting in the right seats of Boeing and Airbus aircraft.

I've been staying out of this until now, but you all do realize that there are tons of pilots in Europe and Asia that are flying until age 65 and their doing a great job at it, even with 200 hour fo's sitting in the right seats of Boeing and Airbus aircraft.

This is the reason this whole thing got passed in the first place. Anyone who thinks that in 5 years they will pass another law making the age cutoff 70 is an idiot. They have actually been trying for 20 years to get it up to age 65, and now only because Europe did it, the law was passed.

They will eventually force you to stay until the retirement age, or take a penalty in your retirement, etc.

Those that think this won't happen are smokin' crack.

Every year longer you work is less time they have to pay your pension...

And back side of the clock flying kicks your butt, much more so than the average people carrier.

Well said Booger,

This is now something that will have to be negotiated for. To get to keep age 60 as an option will cost us something else, maybe a day off a month maybe a buck less an hr of flt pay, who knows. Difference now is that it will be negotiated and at a cost, all to keep the least productive, most costly group of pilots. I still do not see the benefit to this age 65 deal but then again I am just a lowly first officer.

Not that this has any imapct on me, (I am the office stiff that will more than likely die by 50 anyhow) but I have to agree with the ones that were against this. As it was posted in another forum:

Age at ////////Average Age
Retirement// At Death

49.9 .......... 86
51.2 .......... 85.3
52.5 .......... 84.6
53.8 .......... 83.9
55.1 .......... 83.2
56.4 .......... 82.5
57.2 .......... 81.4
58.3 .......... 80
59.2 .......... 78.5
60.1 .......... 76.8
61 ............. 74.5
62.1 .......... 71.8
63.1 .......... 69.3
64.1 .......... 67.9
65.2 .......... 66.8

http://faculty.kfupm.edu.sa/coe/gutub/english_misc/retire1.htm

...you should plan your career path and financial matter so that you can retire comfortably at the age of 55 or earlier to enjoy your long, happy and leisure retirement life into your golden age of 80s and beyond...

If possible I will try and shoot for 55 myself. But I do not fool myself that big corp. greed had something to do with pushing this over on you all. There may be some that wanted it, but there is a reason it passed so effortlessly. Sorry guys!:(

Last edited:
Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with NO age
limit, IF and ONLY IF we could eliminate the Drive-by
medical exams that permeate the USA.

CE

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<They will eventually force you to stay until the retirement age, or take a penalty in your retirement, etc.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

You can bet management will try to nego a penalty leaving before 65. They are probably salivating at the thought of taking up to 5 more years to fund your pension and you dying up to 10 years sooner; according to the chart in a previous post.

Another bet: at least 70% of the 121 pilots will fly past their 60th birthday. Maybe not till 65 but a year or two anyway.

Latest resources

Back