• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Well, 5 more years in the right seat.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As an outsider looking in (as I'm not quite flying professionally yet), the argument against the age 65 change honestly looks a little juvenile. The only way you can upgrade is for the government to force a more experienced and qualified pilot into early retirement? I'm not tryin to p!ss anyone off, just my $.02, an opinion.

What happens in 5 years when all that great experience again reaches retirement age. I am sure we will have another pilot shortage.

As for the I want to continue to fly til I die crowd, ever hear of part 91. Go knock yourself out. I do think it is a little hypocritical. We all got into this gig knowing that at 60 we leave. We all should have been planning for that event. I personally would like it if we could get out after 25 years regardless of age. Beach here I come.

And anyone who says that they love their job that much is crazy. I agree with the loving to fly but is a round trip to MKC really the same as flying around in a cub or citabria on a nice clear cool morning.....

We need to stop these selfish short sighted old farts from trying in four years, when they have a year to go, doing the same sh*t and getting it raised to 70!!

I still believe that it is a safety issue, a 60 year old does not have the reaction time, that a 40 year old does.

This sucks.......now I have to collectively bargin to allow retirement age at 60, to still be allowed with out being hammered. You can be sure the company will want to change it, and treat 60 as the old 55.

Thanks guys, how selfish. May be we should give up something that these selfish f'ers need, like retirement medical......h*ll lets just get it raised to death and give up the pension!

The vocal minority just hammered the majority!!

Rant out

Last edited:
I still believe that it is a safety issue, a 60 year old does not have the reaction time, that a 40 year old does.

I believe you're on to something here! Reaction time definitely does increase with age. Further, a 40 year old doesn't have the the reaction time of a 20 year old. I'm guessing the optimum balance between reaction time and experience occurs somewhere around 30-35 years of age for most airline pilots. Therefore, to achieve maximum safety the mandatory retirement age should be no more than 40 years. A side benefit would be accelerated upgrades for FOs.

How is AGE 60 considered age discrimination and AGE 65 NOT???

In 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, whats to these guys will push for AGE 70??
(maybe I am wrong).
Excellent question which I have not heard anyone address. Also, even though Europe allows Age 65, the other guy still has to be under 60. This suggests to me that there might be an age related concern. If not, why not put two 64 year olds up front?

No question, a 50 to 60 year-old's reaction time is
slowing down, I see it in myself, it's unmistakeable.
On the other hand, us old farts have a wealth of
experience the whippersnappers just don't have.
We've seen more and done more.....if you have a
safety oriented attitude (and good health) you'll
be as safe in the cockpit as a youngster (insert
Walter Brennan cackle here)

We need to stop these selfish short sighted old farts from trying in four years, when they have a year to go, doing the same sh*t and getting it raised to 70!!

This sucks.......now I have to collectively bargin to allow retirement age at 60, to still be allowed with out being hammered. You can be sure the company will want to change it, and treat 60 as the old 55.

Thanks guys, how selfish. May be we should give up something that these selfish f'ers need, like retirement medical......h*ll lets just get it raised to death and give up the pension!

The vocal minority just hammered the majority!!

Rant out

I don't know...I just recently flew with a young 30-something yearold who had the airplane taken from him on the approach from an alomost 60 yearold because he was sitting way back on the Horizontal Stab! The Whale was too much airplane for him. However, that old "cargo geeser" did a dam fine job of putting it on and tactfully showing the "youngin" how to do it!
Sounds like normal pilot "whining" to me. It's all about Meeeeeeeeeee!

Seems like Australia is the only place with no age limit (maybe I am wrong).[/quote]

They preserve themselves in Fosters. Yum!

Latest resources

Back