• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Welcome back On Your Lee

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How many credit are the 12 day trips on average?

It depends, but I have seen 12 day trips worth 78 hours, and 13 day trips worth 83. They all have INTL override, which is an extra $4 an hour, and the perdiem is an extra 50 cents per hour, which on a 12 day trip can add up. But again, I do it because it is easy. I usually deadhead to SFO or PDX, and then fly the next day to NRT. I do one or two turns back to those cities, or go to Honolulu. I even had one that had me deadheading to Honolulu, and then I went back and forth to Nagoya and Fukuoka Japan from HNL. One of the layovers in Hawaii was 48 hours too. Really nice work. The other thing about INTL layovers in Japan is that the taxes you get back because you layover in those cities. Cities like Osaka and Nagoya have a per diem allowance of $46 PER MEAL by the IRS.(DTW layovers for example are less than $20 per meal) I don't spend that, I usually go to my Gyoza or Sushi places that I know aren't too expensive. But, your IRS tax return is a lot more. Then again, my wife has a great job and her dad is "real nice" to us, so who cares. Still, I enjoy it a lot.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Too bad he only does only 7 legs.....That's a usual day for you Burger...Don't be jealous!

I had a Delto jumpseater recently ask me "how many legs today"?, I said "uh three" :rolleyes:. I think some of you guys actually think we fly seven legs a day, Delto is definitely the home of the most uninformed pilots in the industry. It is no joke that all of you guys are cast from the same mold, unfortunately its a rather incognizant mold.

I had a Delto jumpseater recently ask me "how many legs today"?, I said "uh three" :rolleyes:. I think some of you guys actually think we fly seven legs a day, Delto is definitely the home of the most uninformed pilots in the industry. It is no joke that all of you guys are cast from the same mold, unfortunately its a rather incognizant mold.

Sensitive Canyon? BTW....thanks for the jumpseat!

Speaking of mold, dust it off of your tired and useless attempt at masking your jealousy that only you can explain to your family.

Sure, it might just be three legs, but you start in BOS, then head all the way to LAS, and then onto SJC and PDX. That stinks. Your schedules are very productive, but after 10 years, it must really STINK. I like my one leg days, some over 11 hours. I get to nap, eat a nice meal, maybe watch a movie, and when I am up front I also get to use CPDLC and not talk to anyone. Just type them requests for altitude climbs or descents. It's really nice. Enjoy PDX, SLC, MCO, and BUF tomorrow!

Bye Bye---General Lee

78-83 hrs?

That's hilarious General. I'm glad we are just a little more productive than that. Glad you enjoy it. I would go crazy on a 12-15hr flight. Different strokes. I prefer to be home more consistently.

78-83 hrs?

That's hilarious General. I'm glad we are just a little more productive than that. Glad you enjoy it. I would go crazy on a 12-15hr flight. Different strokes. I prefer to be home more consistently.

So, you don't want 18 off in a row? How about 35? Easily can be done if you can hold that. The deal is there are different planes at Delta. Big and small. The big ones have different schedules. You can fly turns to the islands from ATL (1 day trips), 3 day trips to Europe (worth 20 hours), or 4 day domestics. You can also do 12 day trips, or even 13. It's called variety. And that's just on the 757/767 INTL. Most of the domestic planes (DC9, Md88, 737, 320) do from 1 to 5 day trips, and people enjoy that too. Variety, something you should look up sometime.

Have you ever done a 12 or 15 hour flight? First of all, the most I have done is just over 12 hours, and that was a trip from SEA to PEK (Beijing) that I did last year. It had 2 Captains and 2 FOs, and there was a lie flat bunk room with bunk beds. It was climate controlled, and was nice. You get a menu prior to push showing you what you might be able to eat (3 or 4 meals, a choice of desserts, soup, salad, etc). After takeoff the 3rd pilot (on flights less than 12 hours) figures out the length of breaks, and then he usually goes back first, getting a nap or watching a movie for 3 or 4 hours. When in the cockpit, you eat and plot your way across the pond, often "talking" to centers on CPDLC---typing requests to them, and the plane even does automatic position reports. It's not very tough. By the time you arrive in your destination, you are fairly relaxed thanks to a few hour nap, and going to Asia you arrive late afternoon. After the ride to the hotel, the pilots usually all meet for dinner, and then you try to stay up a couple more hours, and then you usually sleep a full 8 or 9. You can acclimate fairly easily that way, as long as you stay over there. If you go back and forth to the mainland (we call them 6 pack trips----6 Pacific crossings), then it can be a bit tougher, but you get used to it. Europe is a bit different, since you arrive over there mid morning, so it can be tougher to get a short nap. But, the way home isn't as bad because you usually sleep for a full 3 hours in the rest seat, so you feel good by the time you land back in ATL.

It's actually quite nice overall. I seem to get a lot more bang for the buck, can get my flying over with, and I enjoy Asia a lot. The people are nice, and the operation is great. But, if I decide I want to see West Palm Beach or Seattle, I can always bid those trips too. That again is variety.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back