• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Welcome Aboard Jet Blow Airlines....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
O.K., I did a little math (on reserve today, at home, wife at work). I couldn't find reliable JBLU numbers so someone please fill me in. The following numbers are based on 80 hours block/month, 200 hours TAFB month. Holding the highest paying aircraft possible at January 2004 rates. They do not include other benefits or retirement.

ATA year 1
$41,040

ATA year 2
$66,160

ATA year 6
$137,175

ATA year 12 and beyond
$175,280

Please post some JBLU #'s and lets figure out how much a 30 year career is worth at both carriers. Also, I'm inviting AirTran, SWA and others to chime in with their data.

I figure that a 30 year ATA career with current Jan 2004 contract rates (not including retirement) is worth approximately $4.57 million (using the above rates).

Figuring out retirement isn't realistic because contracts change and investment strategies vary.

Hey General, is Delta triple these figures? ;)

Noam

Last edited:
Noam,

Well, currently without future paycuts they are. We are willing to negotiate, so they will go down. I think a 12 year Capt rate for the 777 is near $300 an hour. (but we have 8 777s---not many get there) It isn't good to have such a large Gap with the other majors (AA 777 Capt is $178 an hour--but they have more than 30 777s). I happen to think Job Security is better than super high wages.

And Skirt is right, I am passionate about my airline, and I have never said "Jetblue should die!!" etc.... I don't want anyone to lose a job, and I want all of the furloughs to come back to a good one.

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes: :cool:

Skirt,

That is extremely encouraging to hear. I hope they get the program off the ground ASAP. I fully support all efforts in this area.

Further commenting on this topic has come to a close for me - I never should have posted to begin with.

Pardon me.

Noam said:
O.K., I did a little math (on reserve today, at home, wife at work). I couldn't find reliable JBLU numbers so someone please fill me in. The following numbers are based on 80 hours block/month, 200 hours TAFB month. Holding the highest paying aircraft possible at January 2004 rates. They do not include other benefits or retirement.

ATA year 1
$41,040

ATA year 2
$66,160

ATA year 6
$137,175

ATA year 12 and beyond
$175,280

Please post some JBLU #'s and lets figure out how much a 30 year career is worth at both carriers. Also, I'm inviting AirTran, SWA and others to chime in with their data.

I figure that a 30 year ATA career with current Jan 2004 contract rates (not including retirement) is worth approximately $4.57 million (using the above rates).

Figuring out retirement isn't realistic because contracts change and investment strategies vary.

Hey General, is Delta triple these figures? ;)

Noam

JBU Pay as of now only goes out 10 years. First year Capt. pay (salary only, no PD or other pay) based on 81 hours a month is $114k 1st year, $117k 2nd, $120k 3rd, $122k 4th, $125k 5th, etc. Realistically, the "average" Capt, most of which are in their 2nd year at a minimum, make about $150k. SOme of the more senior Capts., which are just past their 4th year average $180-200k a year.

I won't go into the other monetary benefits because it will just draw hoards of the naysayers out of the woodwork stating our stock and other benefits are worthless and I am tired of hearing it.

All I was responding to was your statement that you made that "ATA pilots make more money" and it was so vague and un-substanciated that I couldn't resist a reply.

Sorry I made you do the math.

C ya.

P.S. Those numbers for first year pay you gave were for a Captain right? $41k a year for first year Captain pay???? Wow, our first year FO pay is $12k more than that!!! Over 4 million for a 30 year ATA career sounds good. Too bad you'll be dead or out of business!!!:D

Last edited:
Hey no problem about the math, sitting on reserve today not doing too much...and it is too cold to go outside.

Theoretically, our contract shows that if a person upgraded their first year at ATA their hourly rate would be $37.50. Of course, that isn't going to happen...upgrades have been running about 5 years seniority now.

Hey, I didn't say I was going to be dead! :) But, I think our CEO is like 66 years old...chances he will be running ATA 30 years from now are pretty slim. A shame too, for an airline exec he doesn't seem to be too shabby.

skirt said:
P.S. by the way atafan, I am NOT an "airline newbie." Yes, I am proud of my new airline, but I firmly believe there is an airline suited to every different pilot, and every different personality. Since JetBlue has chosen to hire in part for "passion," it is not surprising that some JetBlue pilots come across passionate at times. However, nobody could be as passionate as General Lee is about Delta or Lowercur is about the EMB family. We all belong here on this forum, and you can choose to skip over the people who get too passionate if you want. I enjoy reading the 'rah rah' ...including the General and Lowercur, as well as the blue koolaid... life is too short to be grumpy.... been there, done that.

Best thing I've read on this forum, ever. Thanks.

Red :D

JetBlue employees,

Thanks for the jumpseat help. I love you folks.

Same for Southwest.

I know we are just folks trying to enjoy are working hours and hope we can all help each other. I forgive any that choose to spout off with the company line or slogan. Its natural to want your team to win.

But, as others have pointed out, the company line may change with shifts in the economy. We'll all still be here with our noses to the grindstone at one airline or another.

Noam said:
Hey no problem about the math, sitting on reserve today not doing too much...and it is too cold to go outside.

Theoretically, our contract shows that if a person upgraded their first year at ATA their hourly rate would be $37.50. Of course, that isn't going to happen...upgrades have been running about 5 years seniority now.

Hey, I didn't say I was going to be dead! :) But, I think our CEO is like 66 years old...chances he will be running ATA 30 years from now are pretty slim. A shame too, for an airline exec he doesn't seem to be too shabby.

Roger that (about the math and cold!).

I was teasing ya about the 30 year deal.

Our CEO is 44. And, he has 9 kids!! I know him personally and I am sure he'll be here for quite some time. Heck, he'll be out there pushing planes and hawking jetBlue probably after we're all long gone!!

C ya and have a good one.

FlyBoeingJets said:
JetBlue employees,

Thanks for the jumpseat help. I love you folks.

Same for Southwest.

I know we are just folks trying to enjoy are working hours and hope we can all help each other. I forgive any that choose to spout off with the company line or slogan. Its natural to want your team to win.

But, as others have pointed out, the company line may change with shifts in the economy. We'll all still be here with our noses to the grindstone at one airline or another.

I speak for us all and I say You're Welcome.

And well put about the grindstone.

C Ya

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back