Weird Sim-isms

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
S-3 OFT @ VS-41

Saw a 95,000 ton aircraft carrier spinning like a top while sitting vertically on it's bow, all while MiGs did gun runs.

You said no PC sims... but you still gotta love maxing out the wind down runway hdg (with no turbulence) in X-plane and hovering like a helicopeter :)

I had no idea that Level C/D sim developers were into 'Easter Eggs'. I always figured that was reserved for us Developer weenies who wrote things like on-line auction applications and medical office management software. :D

Minh

Dornier 328 Jet sim

1.) The "glass mountain" as was mentioned above. The real scenario for us is a GPWS demo where we take off from a tough airport like Aspen, CO. The sim guy can put a glass mountain in your path and cause the GPWS to go off. Of course, if you put the glass mountain (elevation 10,000Ft) right off the end of RWY04 at LGA or between Dulles and Richmond it can cause some fun. I especially like the Dornier graphics of a dripping red screen right after you hit these things.

2.) Fire trucks from everywhere. There we were on fire, single engine and I can't remember how many other systems were broken - but we nevertheless got the airplane to the ground for a safe landing at Kennedy. The instructor wanted to force us into a ground evac situation - suddenly there are fire trucks coming at us from all directions - some right in our path on the runway. Needless to say, a great amount of braking action, swerving and hitting about 2 of the rescue trucks caused the need for a ground evac and some time to recover from the laughing in the sim.

3.) We caught 3 TCAS warnings in about 30 seconds. (Must have been the caffeine!) The frustrated instructor wanted us to get in an RA situation. Unfortunately the 747 was put a little too close with a little too much speed. We got the RA, but the pointer was through the roof. That nice red screen again from one heck of a midair.

4.) When we first got the 328 Sims, the Tandy 8088 processor that ran the thing was just a bit overloaded. We would get (frustrating) freeze ups and the techs would have to come in and reset the thing (CTL-ALT-DEL). However the mid-air freezes were spectacular. One was on short final at Kennedy and there we were suspended in mid-air about 30 feet from touchdown on 31L. Very cool looking. Mountain Dew break time!

1900D at FSI DAB:
> Buzzed a couple in a rowboat somewhere near NYC waving thier hands for help.

1900D in Greeley, CO:
>Doing a missed from RSW we got 2 GPWS warnings and hit a mountain at about 1500 feet.......in Florida
>Getting the "Blue Screen of Death" and having to turn the motion off and hit CTRL-ALT-DEL.
>Break out at mins while doing the VOR 13L at JFK and starting the turn to final only to have the runway dissapear and all the navaids flag.
>Finding instructor playing Windows Solitaire while we were holding over Miami running the QRH.

--03M

Reverse Sensing while inverted?

jergar999 said:
When I went to ATP we had an AST 300 without the visuals, it was supposed to simulate Seminoles, but I swear the thing outperformed most Lears. I once flew PHX V95 GBN V66 BARET BARET4 SAN inverted on one engine. Incidentally, will an HSI reverse sense while inverted? It did in the sim, and we had quite a debate over it.

I recall doing an interted ILS in an old Frasca 242, and like jergar I'm trying to remember if it reversed sensed...:eek:

Seems like the glideslope would. If you were upside down, and low, and pulled up you'd be headed for disaster!

Hello,
I was flying the SH-3H simulator at NAS North Island and while landing at "Anytown U.S.A." I saw a giant bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken on the roof of a building off the end of the runway.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

In a King Air 200 Simulator. Hold on the brakes, pull the parking brake, apply full power and the airplane lifts off like a helicoptor. Then at about 50 feet, Power to Idle, then Boom. You Crash back to earth.

I think all motion simulators will do that 727. I'm not sure how they do it, I think it has something toi do with motion off and freeze position, but the DOrk does it too.

My personal favorite because I busted a phase check on this one; ILS into Troy, AL. Plate said tower closed after 2300, use alt minimums. I failed to note that our sim T/O time was 0130. I flew a great ILS to normal minimums...and busted the ride. DOH!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back