• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Weight restricted? Grrr...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On a 25 minute turn, we're supposed to get the people off, do the checklists, calculate limits if necessary, look over the paper work and call DX because he ********************ed up and forgot to put an alternate on, do the required departure brief, program the FMS, take a pi$$, AND THEN go up the jetway and ask a busy gate agent who wants the flight out?

Yes, and might I add, 25 minutes is the Brasilia equivalent to "all day."

-Goose

And what do you do again? That's right, you dispatch.

So lets get this straight, because I'm sure you do get to do it all the time.

On a 25 minute turn, we're supposed to get the people off, do the checklists, calculate limits if necessary, look over the paper work and call DX because he ********************ed up and forgot to put an alternate on, do the required departure brief, program the FMS, take a pi$$, AND THEN go up the jetway and ask a busy gate agent who wants the flight out?
Ahhhh, there's that leadership I was looking for.

Wow, aren't you just a commuter's wet dream...

Good response to basically not knowing what you are talking about.
Pot, meet kettle.

You don't know me, anything about me, my experience, or how I operate. So, throwing around an accusation that I am completely clueless as to the chaotic nature and timing of a basic RJ quickturn makes you sound, well, kinda stupid.

I double and even triple my required jumpseat time every year...not because I like being crammed in an uncomfortable seat with two people I probably don't particularly like, or because I think it's "cool", but because I try to constantly educate myself on the repercussions of decisions made on my end and the impact on crew and pax alike. I do this by attaching myself with a crew for a full day and following them through swaps, quickturns, and long delays. Their day is my day...and it helps to better understand the things pilots claim we don't. If only I could get any pilot to come spend even half a shift with me and see what a joy it can be managing 3 flow programs and re-piecing the puzzle together everytime MX and WX try to take it apart piece by piece.

I don't claim to know and understand every single thing you face (just like you a vast majority of you guys haven't the slightest clue what we do all day or why we do it...too much specialized tribal knowledge and mindsets already set in a certain mode on both sides), however I do have a working knowledge. What I do know is there are a few captains here and there (not just at my company, but everywhere according to my colleagues at other airlines...regional, LCC, and major alike) who, quite frankly, fail at basic decision making and general situational awareness and control of their flights once on the ground.

These are typically the guys who want someone else to make the decisions for them, don't want to take a stand on anything for fear of being labeled "difficult", and whine about every minor obstacle they face in the process. These tend to be the same type of people that go on internet forums and complain about everything, then complain being given a little constructive criticism because that person is on the outside looking in...nevermind the fact that the person has seen it work for people in your position who are widely regarded as excellent at what they do.

I don't sit here and claim that I can do what you do or know everything about your day-to-day...but to generalize and determine that I know nothing because of my job title (when my job description essentially calls for an ability to intuitively know what you're thinking at any given moment) just because you have some kind of ego issue with a little criticism does little more than make you look like the idiot.

Good day, fly safe...

Last edited:
I'd love to sit in SOC for a day and watch what dispatch and scheduling have to deal with.... Think the company would actually let me?

Walt

Well said, well spoken. I wish all crews would have to spend "jumpseat time" in OCC. Those that have, have had their eyes opened wide - like mine when I jumpseated into ASE a few years back - at minimums.

Yeah, if you truly believe in JS Karma (like I do), while you are up taking your whiz (unless you can go to a nonpublic area for your whiz), you can scan the gate area for potential jumpseaters on your way to the crapper, or back to the plane. It's not that difficult (ORD Concourse F being the exception, in that case I apologize).

I like the holding your badge against the window to get their attention - just might have to try that next time....

I dug up some old releases from training events so we could get some real numbers (or at least close to it). Most of the numbers here are based on a flight from CLT-GSO in October 2007. I am assuming clear day with 50 pax and a jump so I manipulated the numbers for those weights.

Burn 1566 00.30
Reserve 2146 00.45
Alt/Msap 0 00.00
Hold 0 00.00
T/O Fuel 3715 01.15

Bow 32005
Pyld 11700 (50 Pax-50 Checked-25 Carry-on)
J/S 190
Zfw 43895 limit 44000
Fob 3715
Tow 47610
Burn 1566
Lgw 46044 limit 47000
Fod 2146

As you can see, it can be done on a day that doesn't require an alternate but its close. Personally, I wouldn't be too comfortable with a fuel load as low as this but there is room for another 20 minutes of gas before we run into landing weight issues. Nasty weather will obviously increase the fuel requirements and allow less Passengers and bags.

Pot, meet kettle.

You don't know me, anything about me, my experience, or how I operate. So, throwing around an accusation that I am completely clueless as to the chaotic nature and timing of a basic RJ quickturn makes you sound, well, kinda stupid.

And you don't know me, my background, or anything about either. So making the accusation that I need to come up with a solution makes you sound, well, kinda stupid.

I double and even triple my required jumpseat time every year...not because I like being crammed in an uncomfortable seat with two people I probably don't particularly like, or because I think it's "cool", but because I try to constantly educate myself on the repercussions of decisions made on my end and the impact on crew and pax alike. I do this by attaching myself with a crew for a full day and following them through swaps, quickturns, and long delays. Their day is my day...and it helps to better understand the things pilots claim we don't.

Well good for you.

If only I could get any pilot to come spend even half a shift with me and see what a joy it can be managing 3 flow programs and re-piecing the puzzle together everytime MX and WX try to take it apart piece by piece.

Funny, I have done that, multiple times. My previous employer had a program for that purpose so I had no problem participating.

I don't claim to know and understand every single thing you face (just like you a vast majority of you guys haven't the slightest clue what we do all day or why we do it...too much specialized tribal knowledge and mindsets already set in a certain mode on both sides), however I do have a working knowledge.

Yep, and I NEVER said I had all the knowledge of your job. But you sure are making a lot of assumptions here. But I have a "working knowledge" as you put it.

What I do know is there are a few captains here and there (not just at my company, but everywhere according to my colleagues at other airlines...regional, LCC, and major alike) who, quite frankly, fail at basic decision making and general situational awareness and control of their flights once on the ground.

Yep, but did I say I was one of them? All I said was there has been an ersosion of PIC authority in regards to the JS. I've been commuting for 8 years to 7 different bases both pre and post 9/11. If you don't know what I'm talking about, try to JS more often on different carriers.

I don't sit here and claim that I can do what you do or know everything about your day-to-day

See above, we already established this.

...but to generalize and determine that I know nothing because of my job title (when my job description essentially calls for an ability to intuitively know what you're thinking at any given moment) just because you have some kind of ego issue with a little criticism does little more than make you look like the idiot.

Who has the ego issue? Funny, a dispacter trying to lecture pilots on the JS. You know, the guys that have to deal with it day in day out.

Good day, fly safe...

You too, try to dispatch safe.

Last edited:
Wow, aren't you just a commuter's wet dream...

I'm 100% sure we have a mutual friend from XJT so I won't flame you because he says you are a good guy.

But as a commuter myself, try to find something I wrote where I said would not do whatever it takes to get a fellow commuter on the airplane?

Latest resources

Back