Week at Netjets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cforst513 said:
would the FO fly from the left seat? to get the PIC time?

You only get PIC time when you are designated PIC on the release, as designated by company. If both pilots are PIC rated, only the senior pilot is PIC. The whole purpose is to give a person left seat experience, especially handy when dealing with tiller equiped aircraft. Helps when you do upgrade.

cforst513 said:
would the FO fly from the left seat? to get the PIC time?

Don't have a definate answer why they only fly from the left seat, but it's not so the FO can log PIC, at least I don't think so. I believe that there is only one PIC and that's the one getting the big bucks, even though both pilots are captain rated in the plane. I think it's just to get experience flying from the left side.

Edit: looks like Pervis beat me to it.

I have a friend who is looking into NJA for a flight attendant position. Is the scheduling similar to the pilot's?

Great info, thanks!

Never mind...I see the FA board. My face is red...

Last edited:
Usairbus01

You stupid %&%%$&%%^%........ Just kidding! Glad you found the FA board. (I heard we are getting some "hotties", I mean highly trained FA's... Yeah, thats the ticket.

You can fly PAX from the right seat, or empty legs from the left. The above poster was correct about learning to use the tiller.

Cpt's will teach you about the paperwork if you ask them. That helps for when it's time to upgrade.

You have to win their confidence before you hop in the left seat (that makes sense)

The Cpt's like to get back in the right seat to keep current on the duties. Also at times guys fly as Co-Cpts and the senior guy is in charge.

I hope that helps.

There was once a time when you had to have 250 or 300 hrs as SIC in type before you could fly pax from the right seat. I think that was because we had so many low time guys years ago. I don't know if this is the case anymore. I haven't flown with any junior guys in a while. As mentioned above, it comes down to the Cpts discretion for left seat. I tend to fly with the same folks time and again and we swap sometimes for the non rev legs.

I rather just sit in my own seat and keep from moving all my crap. If i'm the fo that tour I'd rather just sit in my seat the whole tour and swap legs and fly from the right seat.

It's just a pain in the butt sometimes. If two captains are flying together they will swap days as PIC but that's a pain in the arse to keep changing things on the company end.

I do enjoy the tours i go out as an FO. Coffee, papers, ice, clearance, and cleaning. Oh yeah and I'll have the greek platter for lunch (watches captain furiously type it in). Make sure you get it right this time.

No i usually like a light lunch. Chicken ceasar wrap or greek platter with dolomites and humus.

I'm sure Rudy's will cook just about anything.

NJA just started the practice of letting F/Os fly empty legs from the left seat empty and with pax on board from the right seat several years ago.

It is really just a pain to transfer the headset and all of the gear so I just plan on flying from whatever seat I'm in.

The pay is the same regardless of seat.

The rules about PIC are pretty clear if one is logging time to go to the airlines (and get furloughed). That interview board wants to see you log time as PIC only if you are signing for it.

I swap every leg.. If the FO meets the mins with time in type as our FOM states then they fly every other leg no matter who is in the back.. I don't swap seats.. Pain in the arse...

Hey Diesel; I had one of your greek platters from a leg you didn't fly and it su$ks,,,,,, being the captain I gave the FO the choice greek platter or sliced sirlion... Man did I get hosed...... Order a club dude///// Please....... and for the love of all that's right.... Don't blow air in flight after eating that horse food...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back