Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gulfstream 200

Database Expert
After reading another thread, I have a question for folks carrying security with them...

What is your company policy about firearms onboard? How is it enforced? (none, lockbox, dont ask-dont tell, etc...)

just curious.

Our FD operates only under Part 91, But our crews imposes that all firearms must be guardes on a lockbox, also they don't fly transporting large firearms (AR-15 as example), it also aplies to stunt guns and pepper sprays.

flying rap stars sometimes you have to ask who is not armed. :)

Are you referring to the passengers or the pilots, and also do you mean onboard as in the cabin, or in the luggage compartment?

We have more of a "dont ask dont tell" as it pertains to both."

Oh no, not luggage...not as concerned there. I was asking as in armed security in the cabin. Not hunting, skeet, etc...

humm...your pilots carry?

I think that unless for a real reason that may be a quick termination most places. Im not sure who can carry in all states, outside the US, etc...

And as far as rap stars....NO THANKS!

Last edited:
Use caution with pepper spray, there was a case of it being carried in the cabin, canister got discharged (by mistake) and it brought down the plane. I made sure it always got put in the float compartments. That would suck, having it discharged in the a/c.

And another note - there is nothing more scary than a packing wannabe, nothing. I had a guy try to get on my plane in AK with a cocked .45 in a shoulder rig - said it was for bears - no way man!

There should be some SOP or understanding in place, after all, you don't want to try to clear customs somwhere and find out that someone is packing that should not be.

Good luck, keep your head down.

Hey IRAPilot, I carry and my .45 is always cocked and loaded with one in the chamber, or Condition One to those in the know. I don't see the purpose of having a gun with you if it is not Cocked and Locked. I think maybe you were a little aprehensive cause you aren't familiar with guns or the 1911 .45. Any 1911 fan will tell you the same thing, period.

To those of you using the "don't ask don't tell theory", I warn you. I was given permission flying 135 to carry by the CP of a company who obviously has Operation Control, as well as his FFL. Long story short, it got me in a mess, because I was too young and naive to get a LOA from him. It was his word against mine. I recommend you guys carrying be sure you have your License covered.

Duderino said:
Hey IRAPilot, I carry and my .45 is always cocked and loaded with one in the chamber, or Condition One to those in the know. I don't see the purpose of having a gun with you if it is not Cocked and Locked. I think maybe you were a little aprehensive cause you aren't familiar with guns or the 1911 .45. Any 1911 fan will tell you the same thing, period.

I carried Condition Two for many years. I had the draw perfected....no problems. I was shy about carrying Condition One, but finally after much training and demonstrations by a senior gunsmith with Kimber, I decided Condition One was totally safe. I then carried my Kimber and Springfield that way for many more years. I now carry, most of the time, a Para Ordnance LDA(C6 Para Carry) with a bit of work done to it. It's the best of both worlds....although, I would like to eliminate the safety on it alltogether. As you can probably tell, I'm also a big Glock fan....but they are too big and bulky....but they are simple and reliable, with no manual safety to forget.

Gulfstream 200 said:
humm...your pilots carry?

I think that unless for a real reason that may be a quick termination most places. Im not sure who can carry in all states, outside the US, etc...
Sorry Gulfstream, I probably didn't word that well.

I was talking more specifically about the passengers, and not the pilots. One of the guys I fly with always carries a handgun, but he always keeps it in his suitcase in the luggage compartment.

I think it's to be assumed that when your carrying someone who is accompanied by a bodyguard, that they are packing, but they also are well trained and responsible enough not to be coached and egged on by the "guys up front." We fly mostly the same guys over and over, so after awhile it doesn't become much an issue.

That story about the Pepper Spray was interesting. I never had thought about the potential of something like that happening. Something to keep in mind for the future!

Latest resources

Back