• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Weapons

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So when you are traveling on a public highway law enforcement has every right to search your vehicle?

Do you understand that we're talking about airplanes, and not cars? Airplanes don't travel on a highway, as a rule. Perhaps yours do, stupidpilot. This wouldn't be a great surprise, given some of your other comments.

Law enforcement most certainly does have the right to search your vehicle, given reasonable suspicion, or a number of other considerations depending on location and circumstance.

Park your car inside a secure area in which you are subject to search...and yes, your car may be searched.

Park your airplane inside the perimeter fence of an airport acting as a secure area, in which weapons are prohibited, and yes, your airplane may be searched.

So far as concealed weapon permits...most do not authorize the carriage of a firearm into places where firearms are prohibited, which include locations serving alcohol, post offices, schools, government buildings, and yes...in many cases, airports. Additionally, many airports and the authorities which operate them will prohibit weapons. Land there with a weapon on board and you're in violation.

Perhaps you're simply inexperienced enough to have had a very thorough customs inspection before...but without any permission on my part, they've gutted my airplane, smashed a liquor cabinet, and left no apology...simply because they had a question about a passenger on board. As it turned out they did search him, without his permission (because they didn't need it), and he was carrying a weapon...and he certainly was caught. As was one of his traveling companions. Not only could customs have damaged the airplane (they did...during a 135 charter flight)...they could have confiscated it.

Your "private" property can just as easily become someone else's property. Don't try waving your rights around too much, stupidpilot. They're not as broad as you might think.

Then perhaps you can explain to me how you can get a weapon on to checked baggage oh my wise one?

Folks, can you do us all a favor and avoid typing out a how-to guide for hijacking a chartered aircraft? Thanks...

Then perhaps you can explain to me how you can get a weapon on to checked baggage oh my wise one?

Declare it at the counter, show that the chamber is open, have the firearm and ammunition in proper containers with non-tsa locks. A very simple and easy process.

Folks, can you do us all a favor and avoid typing out a how-to guide for hijacking a chartered aircraft? Thanks...

God forbid that we should know what can happen, how it can happen, and what to do to prevent it from happening.

Several sayings come to mind:

Ignorance is bliss. Forewarned is forearmed. A stitch in time. Etc.

Do you understand that we're talking about airplanes, and not cars? Airplanes don't travel on a highway, as a rule. Perhaps yours do, stupidpilot. This wouldn't be a great surprise, given some of your other comments.

Law enforcement most certainly does have the right to search your vehicle, given reasonable suspicion, or a number of other considerations depending on location and circumstance.

Actually the police can't legally search your car based on suspicion. The term is Probable Cause which is a long way from a cops suspicion. That is why when you watch "cops" the police always ask if they can search the peps car.

That's correct Timmay! Also I've had hunters bring weapons on my aircraft and TSA just watched us walk into the FBO with them and didn't utter a word.

Actually the police can't legally search your car based on suspicion. The term is Probable Cause which is a long way from a cops suspicion. That is why when you watch "cops" the police always ask if they can search the peps car.

You watch too much television...and yes, law enforcement most certainly can search a car based on reasonable suspicion. Moreover, the cause for making a stop on a potential violator may be made on reasonable suspicion, and the search itself may be based on reasonable suspicion, or other probable cause.

A subject's demeanor may not be probable cause, but may invite such reasonable suspicion as to do a stop. It may also cause the officer to detain a subject, perform a search, and even a subsequent seizure of property based on that reasonable suspicion.

Probable cause exists when sufficient evidence exists; reasonable suspicion doesn't necessarily need to rely upon a preponderance of evidence in making the stop or search. Both probable cause and reasonable suspicion are acceptable for search and subsequent enforcement action. Both are frequently used to establish the reason for a search, and yes, based on reasonable suspicion, your aircraft may be searched.

What has this to do with the price of tea in China?

We discuss the carriage of a firearm by a pilot on board a flight in which the pilot is acting as pilot in command, and you want to know how to check your firearms as luggage?

Check them. Simple. Locked container, ammunition in a separate acceptable container. Not exactly complex. Declare the firearm. You don't know or understand this?

I check my own firearms regularly. No problem. You...given your commentary here, would probably be best prohibited from owning weapons...let alone checking them.

Also I've had hunters bring weapons on my aircraft and TSA just watched us walk into the FBO with them and didn't utter a word.

Also irrelevant to the conversation. Why bring it up? You're making a point, then? You're surprised that TSA might allow a legal act to take place?

Apparently Stupidpilot is as stupidpilot does.

Latest resources

Back