• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Praetorian

For Immediate Release July 14, 2011:

Ankle Grabbers Society announces it annual award

Today the American Society of Ankle Grabbers announced that this year’s recipient of the prestigious Ankle Grabber award will be the Avantair Pilot group. Society president Pusillanimous Wussington said in a statement, “Although they faced stiff competition from abroad we are pleased to announce that this year's winner is the Avantair pilot group.” Wussington noted, “Their company dramatically altered the pilots schedules, forcing them to work over 24 more days this year than last, but in true ankle grabber fashion they bent over, took it and did nothing. The Society felt it simply had to acknowledge these pilot's credulity.”

Editors Note: The Ankle Grabber award is a small bronze figurine in the likeness of a pilot posed in the prone position, firmly grasping his ankles, while the face gazes furtively upward as though wary of some impending attack.

Anyone that doesn't belive pilots don't benefit from a Union are either:

1) Idiots

2) were able to land one of those 1% jobs on something like a G-V with a great company....

3) too young or inexperienced to know any better.....

Being former NJA and now being at a 135 on-demand non-union, work 25+ days a month on call etc...It amazes me how many of the lower time or purely night cargo guys think that this place is the end all be all.... can't get any better than this, mindsets.....

Avantair needs a Union unless they want to have changes to their job at managments discretion...

Because of the nature of a pilots schedule (especially 135/91) we need unions because our lives are so dependant on others schedules.... Not to mention that most "owners" etc have no idea how much work goes into flying...All they see is auto pilot on, wheres the coffee.... And have no clue about the rest..... thus the mentality that we're not worth the pay...

Last edited:

1) Idiots

2) were able to land one of those 1% jobs on something like a G-V with a great company....

Being former NJA and now being at a 135 on-demand non-union, work 25+ days a month on call etc...It amazes me how many of the lower time or purely night cargo guys think that this place is the end all be all.... can't get any better than this, mindsets.....

Avantair needs a Union unless they want to have changes to their job at managments discretion...

Because of the nature of a pilots schedule (especially 135/91) we need unions because our lives are so dependant on others schedules.... Not to mention that most "owners" etc have no idea how much work goes into flying...All they see is auto pilot on, wheres the coffee.... And have no clue about the rest..... thus the mentality that we're not worth the pay...

Very well-said. Most of the types you've called attention to are abject fools, losers whom having failed themselves feel a sense of unqualified devotion to any employers that give them a chance, so to speak.

Perhaps most tragic of all: the afore-mentioned unqualified devotion results in a sort of divorcing from reality; brought upon by self-reinforced marginalization of self-worth, causing them to emulate the savage temperament of management with relation to pilot labor.

You've heard it before, I'm sure: "...pilots are whiners who don't really work for a living...pilots are not skilled professionals, analogous to common field workers..." and so forth.

With this form of Stockholm Syndrome, as inevitable as it is grim, comes the requisite throwing of fellow pilots under the bus.

I've yet to hear a reasonable argument against pilot organization and representation in universalis.

Very well-said. Most of the types you've called attention to are abject fools, losers whom having failed themselves feel a sense of unqualified devotion to any employers that give them a chance, so to speak.

Perhaps most tragic of all: the afore-mentioned unqualified devotion results in a sort of divorcing from reality; brought upon by self-reinforced marginalization of self-worth, causing them to emulate the savage temperament of management with relation to pilot labor.

You've heard it before, I'm sure: "...pilots are whiners who don't really work for a living...pilots are not skilled professionals, analogous to common field workers..." and so forth.

With this form of Stockholm Syndrome, as inevitable as it is grim, comes the requisite throwing of fellow pilots under the bus.

I've yet to hear a reasonable argument against pilot organization and representation in universalis.

Spelling, punctuation and grammar (regardless of content) are not your forté....

1) Idiots
Name calling is for the true idiots.

Unions don't benefit all companies. We're still a (relatively) young company that's trying to survive/grow in an extremely tough business climate. The unreasonable demands that a union typically forces on a company would, at best, cripple us and prevent the growth that we're all working so hard to achieve. Worst case, we might not be able to survive as a company. Busting my a$$ in the name of growing our company sure beats being out of work, or even worse, working for an on-demand 135 sh!tbag operation.

Crazy assumption that you're making there. At 43 years old, I wish I could be younger, but I'm neither low time, nor former night cargo. I'm ex-121. I'm not time-building. Got all the flight time I'll ever need. We're thinking long-term, I still have a good 20 years of life left in my career, and I envision this as a place to retire from. There's going to come a time when this hard work will pay off. I'm literally betting my career on it.

We have a buffer against this. It's our PAC. We elected these guys (and lady) to keep an eye on our best interests, without putting a stranglehold on management that might keep them from making key decision(s). They've done a great job in the past, we trust that the new roster will do the same.

Pilots being expendable sure describes the mindset of the 135 on-demand passenger, but it's quite a bit different with our Fractional owners. It's an absolute joy flying most of them.

I'm truly sorry that you've lost the cushy Netjets gig. Not sure why you went to the 135 torture chamber type of flying, but hey, we've gotta put food on the table somehow, right?

Last edited:
Aww, let it go. The guy who started this thread works for flops, and is therefore one of the most downtrodden pilots in history. Even with a union, they make less than we do. Let the poor guy rant.

I'm truly sorry that you've lost the cushy Netjets gig. Not sure why you went to the 135 torture chamber type of flying, but hey, we've gotta put food on the table somehow, right?

Well, you see, it appears that simply having NJA on your resume is enough to be blackballed by some with chips on their shoulders heavy enough to sink a battleship. Many time that is all they can get.

Latest resources

Back