Watches

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have a Citizen Navihawk.

It has an E6B, a chronograph and a few time zones in it.

It also has 3 alarms and a timer calander, these I don't really need.

I find that I use the E6B function and the UTC read out more than any others.

It's worth the money I've spent on it.

The girls like, and thats the point right?;) :p

Cheers.

Im another of those nerdy unprofessional piots with a small- But I love Breitlings. Generally speaking though most airline pilots are cheap as can be and it is a pretty good rule of thumb that the highest paid 777 captain will undoubtably wear the cheapest watch. I guess that is why I never have any money and they do! Truthfully if you are ever flying international the navihawk by citizen with 24 time zones or whatever it has is very nice- that is if you can ever figure out how to set it.

I use a Casio "Illuminator". Cost me $16 at Wal Mart. Best watch I have ever owned. Lights up at night with a push of a big button, shows local and zulu at the same time - just what I need.
I spent an extra $9 to put a flex band on it - so now its a Casio "delux".:D

Sounds like Wally World and Timex are the winners. I "splurged" and bought a $29 Timex 'Atlantis 100' there. Has the stop watch stuff and zulu time. This was a replacement for my Casio that I really liked.
As far as the jokes about pilots being cheap (how was copper wire invented? 2 pilots fighting over a penny!), I prefer to call it being frugal. For people that are weekend warriors, it is spending your money on flying airplanes rather than expensive watches. For the folks flying the line, it is the reality of being furloughed and/or going from one bankrupt airline to another.
Enjoy the view from above!

I had a seiko pilots watch for 10 years.. Spent 250 or so on the thing in 91. It just broke and I bought a Citizen EcoDrive. A bit pricey, but if it lasts 10 years, its worth it.

One of my favorite topics. :) :)

No, it's not important to have one of those "fancy" pilot watches. I happen to have a couple of pilot watches, though, because I love watches. A lot depends on how much utility you want from the watch. You certainly want a timepiece that is easy to read in all light conditions and gives you information that you want. You want one that's rugged and accurate. Some people want a watch that makes a statement. A lot also depends on how much you want to spend.

I wore a Tag-Heuer pilot watch with an E-6B scale for several years. The E-6B was useful on the ground, but hard to use while flying because the scale is small.

If you want to spend a little more for a watch, consider Limes at www.limes-watches.com . I have a Limes. They really offer a lot of value for the money. The Chase-Durer models, www.chasedurer.com , also offer a lot of value for the money and make a bold statement about being a pilot, if that's the statement you want to make. I have a Chase-Durer that I wear nearly every day.

In any event, do plenty of shopping before you buy. There's a pretty hefty markup on watches. Also, if you plan to spend the money, buy from a reputable dealer. I (or my wife) bought my Limes from the website. It needed work and they took care of it cheerfully and with no problems.

Good luck with your selection.

Last edited:
Here's another vote for the Citizen Eco-Drive. It's solar-powered; no need for batteries! I would just look for one that you like the look of and has a second time zone for GMT. I don't like to add or subtract either. Plus that **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** time change really screws me up. I wouldn't bother with all that E6-B mumbo jumbo, either. Try www.higuchi-inc.com. It's a Japanese website (but can be displayed in English) that has a lot of nice looking Citizens. At least their my style of watch.

Tom

Breitling

I fully agree, although some Breitlings share the same basic movement as a Chase-Durer and other, less-expensive watches. It's a terrific watch, but you pay a lot for the name.

Once again, shop, shop, shop, and don't be afraid to negotiate. One other point: Don't go watch-shopping in the Carribean. You won't find any real deals. Bottom-line prices are comparable to the mainland.

Anyone can PM me if they have questions about watches. I am no expert, by any means, but I have loved watches since I was a child and have a bit of knowledge.

I absolutely love my watch. It is nice for just about any occasion. It is an anne klein. It is silver and bracelet style, and to date I have never gotten a comment about it being a "pilot watch" ;). I sincerely doubt that I ever will.

I had a friend though, who wanted a $200 "pilot watch" It was one of those with an E6B. Personally I have enough fun trying to read the E6B on the miniature version. I could not even imagine trying to read it when it is as small as a watch. I think he eventually decided that that kind of money was alot to drop on a watch....

Ali

Latest resources

Back