• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

uwochris

Flightinfo's sexiest user
Hello guys and gals,

I was just wondering if it is important to have one of those fancy aviation-type watches? Are those things more of the "good to have but not necessary" variety, or would you say they are a necessity?

The reason I ask is because I just bought a Timex Expedition watch today from Walmart. I spent only $50 on it. I comtemplated spending more and get some fancy watch, as I expect these things to last long. I however decided to go with the Timex. I liked it because it had both the face dial and digital time readout, with indiglo, timers, 24 hour clock, 3 time zones, a compass (not magnetic), and a velcro strap. Also, I am able to set local time on the face dial, a 24 hr clock in digital, and have UTC time set as my extra time zone - I figure this is very handy.

I see a lot of pilots with those chrome/metal watches these days. I rarely see anyone with a regular Timex or similar watch. I myself prefer digital readouts with timers, which is not an option on most of the chrome aviation watches.

So, what's everyone' opinions? Do you own a fancy aviation watch? If so, what features does it have that make it good to have?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
I've always had timex watches. A watch thats made mostly of metal will be a pain every time that you go through security. I also like having UTC, it's too hard for me to add and subtract to get back and forth:)

Timex Expedition..it takes a lickin and keeps...well you know.

Re: $60 Timex

The Timex Zulu has an analog face for easy readin' in addition to a digital box so you can see local and Zulu time/date simultaneously. It alone is no problem through security. I save my more expensive "attractive" watch for off-duty occasions.

My $ 19.99- Lorus Mickey Mouse watch I bought 5 years ago fit the company I work for very well................

Last edited:
Well I myself have used the Timex Expiditions for a few years now. Great watch, I wear it just about every where (and if you see my arm that is the only place that isn't tan). I have gone swiming in the ocean with it on (both voluntary and not so voluntary), and just about any other place that one could imagine.

Here's another vote for the Timex Expedition. If you can find one, Timex makes a pilot watch that uses the Expedition works with an E6B ring. I lost mine a while back and haven't seen another, but I keep looking. My current Expedition cost me $9.72 at the Wally World in the Christmas special rack.
8N

Added at 02:45z, BTW very few professional pilots wear one of those $400 "pilot" watches. The ones that do, most likely do so because it was a gift and they don't want to insult the giver (most likely a spouse)

I would guess that I have seen more CASIO G-SHOCKS on the wrists of major airline pilots than any other watch but a nice dress type Seiko, or better.

Last edited:
I have one of those cool Seiko pilot watches. I have made so many friends just by spotting their pilot watches, then I know they are flyers too!!

I don't have a watch. I use my cell phone, and the four clocks in the airplane. I always wanted that Citizen pilot watch that I never could afford. But
now I would be embarrassed to wear it after this old man told me about big pilot watches and small.....someone had to say it.

Latest resources

Back