• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Watch out for the cabbies in HTO--East Hampton

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK, well what if the police are called and it is a "he said she said" sort of situation where the cabbie claims he/she said $50 per person? What happens then? What can the police do? Can the customers still not pay in that situation - even if the cabbie won't budge on price? How does it get resolved in the moment with the cop there?

I guess I haven't had much experience with situations like these...

You are the one wearing the uniform. Act accordingly. By default, you have the percieved socio-non verbal upper hand over the Somali from Yellow Cab in any conflict scenario.

He said, she said? Oh, boo!

The schedule of fees charded to taxi passengers is hardly as convoluted as how the airlines charge for tickets. A simple anonymous call to their company with all 3 of you presetn should be all the matter takes to achieve resolution.

When the cabbie I had started acting like a thief and I called him on it, he initially got pissed. 2 mintutes later when it became apparent that the PoPo was coming he simply left. Guys he realized his story wasn't so strong.

I never heard another word from the cab company in my situation.

A verbal contract is a contract. End of story.

I ask one question these days. Do you take Mastercard? Bill it to NetJets and let them worry about it.

Works great until T and E decides that your cab fare was above the "normal and customary" amount, calls the cab company and gets a lower fare quote for the trip resulting in your per diem getting garneshed.

Try that for he said, she said. I'd rather fight he cabbie than T and E.

Don't think the above scenario can happen? Think again.

Why did you pay it?

I've had issues with cab companies in the past (rymes with Mellow Cab) and called the police myself to get resolution.

Don't cower to a cabbie if you are in the right. Ever. Most are 3rd world country immigrants trying to make sense of the American dream... don't get caught up in their "reality".

You got had. All you needed to do is walk away or call the police.

We called the police, and even talked to the cab dispatcher. The police said that they put the cab company on notice, but since the policeman wasn't there when the cabbie announced the "fare", then he couldn't do anything. It was ridiculous, and I told the dispatcher I would never use his company again, and he said "fine." I didn't pay for it regardless (the owner did eventually), still I thought I would post it here on this board for you guys.

You are the one wearing the uniform. Act accordingly. By default, you have the percieved socio-non verbal upper hand over the Somali from Yellow Cab in any conflict scenario.

He said, she said? Oh, boo!

The schedule of fees charded to taxi passengers is hardly as convoluted as how the airlines charge for tickets. A simple anonymous call to their company with all 3 of you presetn should be all the matter takes to achieve resolution.

When the cabbie I had started acting like a thief and I called him on it, he initially got pissed. 2 mintutes later when it became apparent that the PoPo was coming he simply left. Guys he realized his story wasn't so strong.

I never heard another word from the cab company in my situation.

A verbal contract is a contract. End of story.

Not in East Hampton. That is why I posted this ridiculous story. And, you sound like a know-it-all who really doesn't know it all. You weren't there.

This was meant as a friendly warning to others out there who might fall victim to this "bait and switch" as someone else pointed out. I agree - look out for the woman cab driver when you fly into HTO.

Last edited:
Actually in NY, a verbal contract is binding.... Just make sure your FO, or someone from the ramp heard, and you're set.

Airport to East Hampton Inn, 80 bucks and we were the 5th! drop off trip took 1hr 20 minutes. Cabby made 400 dollars in one trip.

so, if an owner asks you how how long the flight is, and you end up being off by more than 10%, is all the extra time free of charge?

Actually, it is.

Most operators give a round trip quote. Say, you want to go from TEB-MIA, the customer gets a quote to put the plane there and back to TEB. Now, if it is a one way, the price is the same. But, if you get a hold for an hour a long the way, you don't tack an extra hour on to the price, the operator absorbs it.
That is why the customer does not get a reduced price if you can pick up a backhaul, these "added revenue" flights help pick up the difference when the operator underquotes. It all evens out way down the line.

Anyway, that's the way I used to do it.

Hung

Latest resources

Back