• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wasn't this Scott Hall's job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It sounds like you guys really need a Corporate Culture Department over there - complete with a V.P., a director and at least two managers.

Brilliant! They could do a film series nobody has time to watch, and stuff like that. We're so short staffed (in October) it's absurd. What is going on here?????? Are the reserves the only pilots that actually operate the aircraft at the airline, or are the line holders equally as busy? You'd think they have forgotten how to upgrade people at this here airline.

Brilliant! They could do a film series nobody has time to watch, and stuff like that. We're so short staffed (in October) it's absurd. What is going on here?????? Are the reserves the only pilots that actually operate the aircraft at the airline, or are the line holders equally as busy? You'd think they have forgotten how to upgrade people at this here airline.

C'mon...........There were FOUR whole upgrades this year!

Have you ever thought the problem might not be with the F/O's? If you have flown 15 years and had very few F/O's "up to snuff", I think you need to look in the mirror and I think you will find the problem.

I've been here almost 20 years (CRJ side) and have flown with very few F/O's who were NOT "up to snuff"!!

Here's a few, let me know if anything is familiar:

1. Crosswind landings suck. I've seen the wrong rudder, wrong aileron...or nothing at all. Trying to make smooth touchdowns in gusty conditions...Over the threshold at the top of the bucket and 50' high, floating halfway down the runway. Landing distance calculations are predicated on touching down by 1500' down the runway. Do you know where that mark is on a precision runway? Probably not. That's why our next incident will probably be another overrun.

2. Don't know what RTM curves are and how they relate to performance. Have no idea how to fly CAS/MACH transitions....All they know (running 30 min ahead of sked) Balls to the wall, 5 kts below redline through moderate turbulence... Fun to watch~

3. Energy management problems, spoilers when not required, don't understand relationship between ground speed/altitude and required rate of descent, sloppy use of autopilot, over-banking in turns when hand-flying, speed busts, climbing at 2800 FPM 1000' from assigned altitude,

4. TOO LAZY/DON'T KNOW HOW TO TRIM AN AIRPLANE. Have you ever been flying around with the autopilot on, slip/skid brick hanging halfway to the window, yoke cocked 10 degrees in the direction of said brick, and no effort to correct this? Or do you just not notice? It's pervasive, and mark of poor technique and training.

5. Can't use a checklist. Doing the flow, missing items, and burying their noses in the checklist without visually verifying the item was done. Watch your FO next time. Guarantee this will be what he/she does. Guarantee you're not looking either if you think this kind of performance is "up to snuff". It kills (Air Florida).

6. 9/10 can't make an appropriate turbulence report. There's literature on that, but apparently no one has read it.

7. Can't use a weather radar. 6/10 don't know how to use the tilt. They raise it until everything looks clear and pretty. Well, son, you gotta understand the closer you get to a "threat", the more you have to tilt the plate down to see it. If you think because you've gotten 20 miles from a storm and it's "dissappeared" from the MFD, then you must be on top of it, right? WRONG.

These are just a fraction of these nefarious and ubiquitous "infractions". I hope y'all have learned a few things. Yes, this place has some great pilots, but the FO's I've flown with? Even after 5-6 years plying their trade? Not impressed. That's all I have to say about that. Flame away, flamers

Last edited:
Don't forget all the off the cuff comments asking why your still here, holding them down.

All that stuff written above is true. I can understand not grasping it out of initial training, but I can't grasp how it seems that learning stops after IOE is over.

The only concern is climbing the ladder, not actually achieving a high level of correlation of skills and knowledge that is the career.

Here's a few, let me know if anything is familiar:

1. Crosswind landings suck. I've seen the wrong rudder, wrong aileron...or nothing at all. Trying to make smooth touchdowns in gusty conditions...Over the threshold at the top of the bucket and 50' high, floating halfway down the runway. Landing distance calculations are predicated on touching down by 1500' down the runway. Do you know where that mark is on a precision runway? Probably not. That's why our next incident will probably be another overrun.

2. Don't know what RTM curves are and how they relate to performance. Have no idea how to fly CAS/MACH transitions....All they know (running 30 min ahead of sked) Balls to the wall, 5 kts below redline through moderate turbulence... Fun to watch~

3. Energy management problems, spoilers when not required, don't understand relationship between ground speed/altitude and required rate of descent, sloppy use of autopilot, over-banking in turns when hand-flying, speed busts, climbing at 2800 FPM 1000' from assigned altitude,

4. TOO LAZY/DON'T KNOW HOW TO TRIM AN AIRPLANE. Have you ever been flying around with the autopilot on, slip/skid brick hanging halfway to the window, yoke cocked 10 degrees in the direction of said brick, and no effort to correct this? Or do you just not notice? It's pervasive, and mark of poor technique and training.

5. Can't use a checklist. Doing the flow, missing items, and burying their noses in the checklist without visually verifying the item was done. Watch your FO next time. Guarantee this will be what he/she does. Guarantee you're not looking either if you think this kind of performance is "up to snuff". It kills (Air Florida).

6. 9/10 can't make an appropriate turbulence report. There's literature on that, but apparently no one has read it.

7. Can't use a weather radar. 6/10 don't know how to use the tilt. They raise it until everything looks clear and pretty. Well, son, you gotta understand the closer you get to a "threat", the more you have to tilt the plate down to see it. If you think because you've gotten 20 miles from a storm and it's "dissappeared" from the MFD, then you must be on top of it, right? WRONG.

These are just a fraction of these nefarious and ubiquitous "infractions". I hope y'all have learned a few things. Yes, this place has some great pilots, but the FO's I've flown with? Even after 5-6 years plying their trade? Not impressed. That's all I have to say about that. Flame away, flamers

I can apply all of your above points to some Captains as well!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back