Washington Post: DL & NWA to file by Sept

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
skykid said:
For someone who appears to knows so little and who's posts are so superficial, you certainly are arrogant. I'd quit on the 32 month thing if I were you, it might make you look foolish later.

Kind of like when I recommended you quit on the "look at the cost savings with the new Delta pilot contract" you repeated over, and over, and over, and over, and over. "Just wait for the savings to kick in" - over and over.

You called me "Nostradamus" for pointing out to you several months ago the situation that Delta is in now. That was no great stretch on my part, it was as obvious as can be.

I wish the best for Delta and you - just try to back up what you say. "Debt goes away in Ch11, or a lot of it" - c'mon guy. That's as superficial as it gets. You ought to do some serious research on the debt situation Delta is in right now and apply that study to an in-depth look at what could happen in Ch11.

There you have it, I have erased my stupid comment with the stroke of a key. (at least on my side) I have admitted that I do not know much about the process, and you probably do know more since you have been embroiled in it longer. That is true. As far as your Nostrodomas name tag, how do you know what will happen? Do you talk to our mangement team? Thinking you knew the outcome so long ago really is arrogant. Sure, we have debts and pensions problems, but Grinstein has tried to get the savings to cover it. He would have been on track, but high gas prices haven't helped. But, you knew that gas would stay high.... Come on. Get over yourself and trying to say that "YOU KNEW ALL ALONG THAT DL WOULD GO TO COURT." You could have thrown the dice and had a different outcome. I am getting sick of your know it all attitude. I have admitted as of late that we probably will go to court. Grinstein has been saying he would try to avoid it, and he speaks for the company.

Also, bankruptcy may be hard on us employees, but it will also finally be hard on the creditors. We, the pilots alone, have agreed to give $5 billion back (7500 pilots) over 5 years. That was huge for management, since the creditors only gave $100 million in concessions. Sure, AMEX and GE have given us some more loans, but no concessions. Will that liqudate us? Did it liquidate you or USAir twice? A good judge from GA (just like the DC judge for USAir that stated "I will not liquidate USAir) and your judge in Chicago that has allowed you 32 months) will help the situation. I don't have to have any experience in Bankruptcy to know that Judges are influenced by State officials that don't want any job losses. Even TWA stayed alive for many many years until AA bought them. That is what I predict here, Delta will be around in some form or another, but I am no Nostrodamas.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Aviation consultant Robert Mann said that if Northwest breaks the union, it will be AMFA's fault for demanding to be paid more than most other airline mechanics.

Northwest is letting the union "hang themselves. They're giving them enough rope and they're going to hang themselves. I hate to use that analogy, but Northwest knows where the rope is."

Inconceivable said:
The pilots still have something worth keeping--a pension and scope. Something almost everyone else has pi$$ed away.

NWA pilots (in 2000) may not have been the best paid but certainly have had their six covered. .

Well, Inconceivable,

I guess you guys still have your pensions?

Tref said:
As they say in Minnesota road hockey, "Game on!" :mad:

NWA has just replaced a scheduled A319 flight from DTW-DFW-DTW with a Champion 727 in clear violation of the NWA ALPA scope clause. Tighten your belts, it's going to get bumpy!

If DL is going to sell CMR and/or ASA, a smart buyer, or group of buyers, would wait until an actual BK filing. Once a BK judge gives the OK, CMR/ASA get sold at a price more favorable to the buyer.

With all the specualtion about a DL Chpt. 11 filing being imminent, why pay a premium when a fire sale is pending? I don't see DL getting anywhere near their original investment back from CMR/ASA.

In 1980, AA acquired 15 727-200s from Braniff for $25 million. Braniff was doing what it could to raise cash just to stay in day-to-day operations. At the time, 15 727s were worth more than $25 million.

I agree. The Bankruptcy judge could also lower the ASA and Comair wages first, and then sell them. That would make ASA and Comair even more attractive to SkyWest and Mesa. They could all have the same low wages. Great idea Slim.

Bye Bye--General Lee

The judge?????

The judge will not reduce wages. first the company will use your fear of loosing your job against you. then if that doesn't work the company will then threaten using the 1113 filing to scare you into voting for wage cuts. after the wage cuts then the company will try to negotiate all other contracts with vendors, cities , fuel ect.

So no you won't take an immediate pay cut unless you vote for it.

By the way it is not wages that are causing airline economic problems. It is the lack of revenue. The airports are haveing record numbers of enplanments. so don't believe mngt .

Latest resources

Back