Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wanna fly a LCC 787 out of JFK? Norwegian Longhaul hiring JFK based pilots...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just saw this - it might impact hiring...

ALPA Lauds U.S. House Action to Block Federal Transportation Funds from Skewing Marketplace against U.S. Airlines
Would Block U.S. Foreign Air Carrier Permits for Flag-of-Convenience Models Such As NAI
WASHINGTON??The Air Line Pilots Association, Int?l (ALPA) commends an amendment passed unanimously by voice vote today by the U.S. House of Representatives that would help safeguard the U.S. airline industry?s ability to compete on a level playing field by making certain that federal transportation funds are not used to grant foreign airlines that violate U.S. law or the U.S.-EU Air Transport Agreement access to U.S. markets.
?Thanks to the tremendous leadership of Rep. Westmoreland and Rep. DeFazio, this amendment specifically prohibits shopping for cheap labor and simply requires the Department of Transportation to follow the law and provisions agreed to in the U.S.-EU Transport Agreement,? said Capt. Lee Moak, ALPA?s president. ?Congress has a responsibility to make sure that U.S. airlines do business in a fair marketplace and that the U.S. government?s transportation funds don?t hand an advantage to foreign airlines that try to cheat the system.?
Introduced by Rep. Lynn Westmoreland (R-Ga.) and Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-Ore.), the amendment to the Transportation, Housing, and Urban Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2015 (H.R. 4745) stipulates that none of the funds in the bill may be used to approve a foreign air carrier permit or application ?where such approval would contravene United States law or Article 17 bis of the U.S.-E.U.-Iceland-Norway Air Transport Agreement.?
The amendment passed today would prevent the Department of Transportation from approving Norwegian Air International?s (NAI) foreign air carrier permit application because the airline?s operations would contradict the U.S.?EU Air Transport Agreement, which specifically prohibits any efforts to undermine labor standards.
Despite the fact that Norwegian Air Shuttle, NAI?s parent company, has centered its operations in Norway and that NAI does not plan to fly to or from Ireland, the company has gained permission from Ireland to operate its long-haul flights as an Irish airline expressly to avoid Norway?s employment laws. With an Irish air operator certificate, NAI will outsource its flight crews through a Singapore employment company using individual contracts with wages well below those of the company?s Norway-based employees.
?By passing this amendment that blocks the Norwegian Air International scheme and any similar bid to contravene the U.S.-EU Air Transport Agreement, the U.S. House has taken a strong stand for fair competition for U.S. airlines,? said Capt. Moak. ?We urge the U.S. Senate to support the U.S. House position and send a clear signal that Congress is committed to ensuring U.S. airlines and their employees do business on a level playing field.?
Founded in 1931, ALPA is the world?s largest pilot union, representing more than 51,000 pilots at 32 airlines in the United States and Canada.

Just a not of caution for young or not so young guys who want to fly a big, shiny jet for this place. You will likely not get an interview with a major US carrier after working for this kind of operation. And, if you do, you will probably not get hired. Remember, hiring panels are comprised of pilots. Union pilots for major carriers do not look well on people coming from what they perceive as predatory, non-union, "scab" operations. Working for NAI may be similar, career wise, to having CAL or EAL on your resume from the late 80's or early 90's. Also, it's not just the union pilots that will shun you. Airline management sees this place as a huge threat to their bottom line. Flying a 787 directly from a regional job may sound appealing, but just remember, more than 90% of upstart airlines fail in 5 years. Do you want to have this on your resume when ALL of the US major airlines are hiring hundreds of pilot per year? Be careful, early career decisions will follow you around for the rest of your career life. Ask some early 90's CAL guys if you don't believe me.

Last edited:
This is very true, because at Spirit there is not even one Gojet pilot. That's why it always amazes me when pilots will take jobs at places like that with no regard for their future.

No, don't "wanna" fly for a scumbag, flag-of-convenience, soon-to- (hopefully) suffer-the-fate-of-Laker, bottom-feeder airline.

And "wanna" is as much word as irregardless.

This is very true, because at Spirit there is not even one Gojet pilot. That's why it always amazes me when pilots will take jobs at places like that with no regard for their future.

I don't think that's accurate. I met one who was a newhire last fall...?

Either way, despite the tough talk, in no way is flying for NAI comparable to being a Continental, Eastern or United scab of the 1980's. If I were still a regional pilot with no prospects, I would not hesitate to take that (the NAI) opportunity. It's easy for those of us who have 'made it' to discourage pilots from taking a job at NAI or Emirates or Qatar, but the reality is we can't offer most of these regional pilots a viable alternative.

I don't think that's accurate. I met one who was a newhire last fall...?

Either way, despite the tough talk, in no way is flying for NAI comparable to being a Continental, Eastern or United scab of the 1980's. If I were still a regional pilot with no prospects, I would not hesitate to take that (the NAI) opportunity. It's easy for those of us who have 'made it' to discourage pilots from taking a job at NAI or Emirates or Qatar, but the reality is we can't offer most of these regional pilots a viable alternative.

I don't think any major airline hiring board would take issue with regards to hiring someone from a legit foreign carrier (Qatar, Emirates etc.), but NAI is a whole other ballgame...

I do get the point that it's easy for those of us who have "made it" (did I mention I was furloughed for 10 years by a major airline?) to tell young bucks what to do, but there could be negative consequences in allowing yourself to be seduced by one of these doochbag operators.

I think most guys and gals would do better to hold out for a "good" airline. It will be relatively easy for a regional pilot to get on with the majors in the near future, without having to whore yourself out.

Last edited:
I don't think any major airline hiring board would take issue with regards to hiring someone from a legit foreign carrier (Qatar, Emirates etc.), but NAI is a whole other ballgame...

I do get the point that it's easy for those of us who have "made it" (did I mention I was furloughed for 10 years by a major airline?) to tell young bucks what to do, but there could be negative consequences in allowing yourself to be seduced by one of these doochbag operators.

I think most guys and gals would do better to hold out for a "good" airline. It will be relatively easy for a regional pilot to get on with the majors in the near future, without having to whore yourself out.

There could be negative consequences, but most likely there won't be any. We have 'forgiven' scabs and let them back into our union, in no way does flying for NAI approach that. I do agree that in the next few years many regional pilots will have opportunities at better carriers. But again, I'm not the one waiting for the opportunity - they are.

Latest resources

Back