• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Goose Egg

Big Jens
Hey all,

Today I had a little time and I thought I'd sit down and figure out just how much crosswind I had landed in a few weeks ago. To my nearest estimation, it was a crosswind component of 22 knots (good story). The maximum demonstrated value for the Cessna 172R is 15 knots, and so here's the question.

If I, your average 1000 hour CFI, can land a C-172 in a 22 knot crosswind, then why can't those super-test-pilot types that help determine the value in the book? It's not like it was a daring feat of piloting skill. It was just a landing. So what's the deal with that demonstrated value? A test pilot could have certainly duplicated what I had done.

-Goose

Hey all,

Today I had a little time and I thought I'd sit down and figure out just how much crosswind I had landed in a few weeks ago. To my nearest estimation, it was a crosswind component of 22 knots (good story). The maximum demonstrated value for the Cessna 172R is 15 knots, and so here's the question.

If I, your average 1000 hour CFI, can land a C-172 in a 22 knot crosswind, then why can't those super-test-pilot types that help determine the value in the book? It's not like it was a daring feat of piloting skill. It was just a landing. So what's the deal with that demonstrated value? A test pilot could have certainly duplicated what I had done.

-Goose
They get to the test flight where they need to demonstrate x-winds, and run with it. If the winds they can find are 15kts when the testing schedule calls for x-wind component demo, they go with 15kts. If they can get 17kts, then 17kts it is. They do find something reasonable and don't just demonstrate 5kts of x-wind.

If I, your average 1000 hour CFI, can land a C-172 in a 22 knot crosswind, then why can't those super-test-pilot types that help determine the value in the book?

The "maximum demonstrated cross-wind" is not the highest wind that the super-duper-test-pilot-type can manage. I don't know what it is.

Some say it is just whatever wind was blowing that day and the test pilot could handle it, others say different things and I don't recall any official publication that defines it. It is another source of OWT. Old Wives' Tales.

But it isn't the strongest crosswind that the airplane is capable of.

I also think the aircraft company has 'liability' in mind when establishing this number.

I also think the aircraft company has 'liability' in mind when establishing this number.

I'd lean much more towards this. Its a fine line between accurately displaying what the aircraft is capable of and telling Joe "I fly one weekend a month" Pilot he should go try to land in some strong crosswinds. For a 172, 15kts is something that is more than you'll see on 98% of your landings yet it is something managable with moderate pilot skill. You could probably do a 30kt crosswind in a 172 if you really really were on top of things, but then if you publish that number in a book and Joe Pilot does it and kills himself in the process, you might have some legal trouble to work out. Going above the 15kt demonstrated number, I personally feel, is a wakeup call that says "Hey, you're starting to get in some pretty strong wind for this aircraft type, make sure you're up to the challenge before you do it."

I've always been told its the maximum crosswind that was demonstrated by the engineers during certification.

It's not the maximum the aircraft can tolerate though....

§ 25.233 Directional stability and control.

(a) There may be no uncontrollable ground-looping tendency in 90° cross winds, up to a wind velocity of 20 knots or 0.2 V SR0, whichever is greater, except that the wind velocity need not exceed 25 knots at any speed at which the airplane may be expected to be operated on the ground. This may be shown while establishing the 90° cross component of wind velocity required by §25.237.
(b) Landplanes must be satisfactorily controllable, without exceptional piloting skill or alertness, in power-off landings at normal landing speed, without using brakes or engine power to maintain a straight path. This may be shown during power-off landings made in conjunction with other tests.
(c) The airplane must have adequate directional control during taxiing. This may be shown during taxiing prior to takeoffs made in conjunction with other tests.

§ 25.237 Wind velocities.

(a) For landplanes and amphibians, a 90-degree cross component of wind velocity, demonstrated to be safe for takeoff and landing, must be established for dry runways and must be at least 20 knots or 0.2 VSR0, whichever is greater, except that it need not exceed 25 knots.
(b) For seaplanes and amphibians, the following applies:
(1) A 90-degree cross component of wind velocity, up to which takeoff and landing is safe under all water conditions that may reasonably be expected in normal operation, must be established and must be at least 20 knots or 0.2 VSR0, whichever is greater, except that it need not exceed 25 knots.
(2) A wind velocity, for which taxiing is safe in any direction under all water conditions that may reasonably be expected in normal operation, must be established and must be at least 20 knots or 0.2 VSR0, whichever is greater, except that it need not exceed 25 knots.

§ 25.233 Directional stability and control.

(a) There may be no uncontrollable ground-looping tendency in 90° cross winds, up to a wind velocity of 20 knots or 0.2 V SR0, whichever is greater, except that the wind velocity need not exceed 25 knots at any speed at which the airplane may be expected to be operated on the ground. This may be shown while establishing the 90° cross component of wind velocity required by §25.237.
(b) Landplanes must be satisfactorily controllable, without exceptional piloting skill or alertness, in power-off landings at normal landing speed, without using brakes or engine power to maintain a straight path. This may be shown during power-off landings made in conjunction with other tests.
(c) The airplane must have adequate directional control during taxiing. This may be shown during taxiing prior to takeoffs made in conjunction with other tests.

§ 25.237 Wind velocities.

(a) For landplanes and amphibians, a 90-degree cross component of wind velocity, demonstrated to be safe for takeoff and landing, must be established for dry runways and must be at least 20 knots or 0.2 VSR0, whichever is greater, except that it need not exceed 25 knots.
(b) For seaplanes and amphibians, the following applies:
(1) A 90-degree cross component of wind velocity, up to which takeoff and landing is safe under all water conditions that may reasonably be expected in normal operation, must be established and must be at least 20 knots or 0.2 VSR0, whichever is greater, except that it need not exceed 25 knots.
(2) A wind velocity, for which taxiing is safe in any direction under all water conditions that may reasonably be expected in normal operation, must be established and must be at least 20 knots or 0.2 VSR0, whichever is greater, except that it need not exceed 25 knots.

FAR 25 is for transport category aircraft.

Latest resources

Back