Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

altimaklr

Just got my revisions today...

Due to a recent AD, we can no longer use the flight director during take-off. The new procedure will be -

TOGA - PF removes the FD - take off, pitch for TEN degrees - ref + 10, call for speed mode. ( I may be off slightly but this is the basic jist).

Anyone else doing this? Seems really wacky to me. Evidently they don't want people rotating to 15 degrees due to some recent issues with CRJ's over rotating during take-off. I'll be interested to see how many people actually do it.

Add another stupid procedure we have to do when cleared for takeoff. Pretty soon it's going to take a full 5 minutes to start rolling down the runway after clearance is given.

SkyWest too...

Same here at ASA. I think this procedure is totally unsafe and unnessasary. With all the FAA stuff going on about runway incursions and trying to reduce the amount of time were heads down in the cockpit during ground ops how can they put this procedure into affect! It takes at least 20 seconds to get the FD to do what you want! Once you put it in pitch mode the FD wants to go to zero degrees. When you try and roll it up to 10 degrees it keeps falling back down to 0 degrees!
Just think your taxing out of some airport like LEX at 6am on reduced rest and while your taking the runway your F/O is heads down f@$&ing with the flight director! This is crazy and I have already sent an email to the FAA about it!

By the way were not doing this because of some MESA pilot cant rotate right are we?

OH MI GOD ... takeoff without the flight director! You will surely die unless you use all of the automation possible!
You can also do a runway update if you don't want to hit to use TOGA buttons.

See this kind of stuff was not an issue when people actually had to have some kind of time to come to an airline. Now we have to cater to the lowest common denominator (200 hr fo's). It is remarkable to me that a so called trained professional can't figure out to only rotate to 10 degrees and let the airplane accelerate.

See this kind of stuff was not an issue when people actually had to have some kind of time to come to an airline. Now we have to cater to the lowest common denominator (200 hr fo's). It is remarkable to me that a so called trained professional can't figure out to only rotate to 10 degrees and let the airplane accelerate.

This AD has nothing to do with low time F/Os here in the U.S. It came from a few non-us airlines that had a problem with pilots over rotating with ice on the wings and stalling the airplane.

Latest resources

Back