Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wrong Bob

katanabob said:
I'd accept this as a valid point if there was some move to select the 'best/safest/smartest' pilots to fly the larger aircraft. This is hardly the case, however. Does $5 an hour make you any safer? Smarter?
As a matter of fact, Bob, what you so glibly dismiss as 'hardly the case' is exactly what tends to happen when higher pay rates draw more senior, more experienced pilots to those aircraft. At SkyWest now, the most junior pilots in both seats are flying the 70 the most because the 70's are predominantly flown out of ORD and because there is no economic incentive for senior people to bid the aircraft. Do you deny the value of having more experienced pilots flying these aircraft?

Last edited:
Just checked about 5 minutes ago and Skywest stock was up $.75 in trading today alone. This brings it over $27 a share and some still feel that Skywest pilots should make less than others. Riiiiight!!!!!!

Cheers

Well, you know those high rates at quality operators like Mesa are an aberration. Soon, they'll have to take concessions or lose their flying...yeah, riiight.

Management to pilots: "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

Management to Wallstreet (Sept 22, 2005): "According to Kraupp, the structuring of the acquisition paves the way for continued profitability, and dramatic increases in the Company’s earnings-per-share." (Mike Kraupp is VP of finance)

Now, if they mislead investors they go to jail, right? Martha Stewart? Kenny-boy Lay? What happens if they mislead employees? Awkward moment or two at the company Christmas party?

Tool flying a mosquito

katanabob said:
I'd accept this as a valid point if there was some move to select the 'best/safest/smartest' pilots to fly the larger aircraft. This is hardly the case, however. Does $5 an hour make you any safer? Smarter? Is a 70 seater really any greater responsibility? (i.e. is the airplane more inherently dangerous?)

The only case that even begins to make your point is the 'more revenue' option. In that case, however, you jump right back into a set of arguments that favors paying more to the flight attendants/mechanics/etc. who likewise work to generate that revenue.

We need your IP address if your from UVSC. Your mosquito skills from provo are not accepted at any regional, SkyWest being no exception. Go back to instructing down there in provo. We don't need any more high altitude tight a$$es from provo. You are a complete tool and will never make it in this industry with your Ho jet attitude.

Is it just me, or does it seem that those who say that we shouldn't get paid based on seats probably aren't pilots? What don't you understand about larger aircraft having more responsibility? Wasn't there a study that put a human life at about $1.2mil?
The more seats = more $. More $ gets the execs rich. All the Skywest people are asking for is fair compensation. THEY are what take the payload from A to B and assume the most risk while doing it. If you think that they shouldn't get paid accodingly, then you don't fly passangers.

CheckandSet- What forensic arguments you bring forth. It's hard to believe you don't head a union somewhere. Oh, and only one of us flies a POS 50 seater.

Bluto- I don't discount the value of higher-time pilots, however, my argument was related to skill and responsibility. I've flown with plenty of high-time/low-skill pilots. With regard to responsibility, I just can't accept that there are crews who would react differently in a given situation based on whether they are carrying 50 people or 70. Why don't we just call it what it is? Senior people should get paid more.

Halo- I'm not familiar with this Provo flight school. Do you still have something against one of your instructors there?

OCP- If human life is $1.2mil, the difference between 50 and 70 seats truly is negligible. You really think you'd be able to pay off 50 lives but not 70?

There is a well-defined difference between RISK and LIABILITY. Experience or skill only affects the former.

katanabob said:
CheckandSet- What forensic arguments you bring forth. It's hard to believe you don't head a union somewhere. Oh, and only one of us flies a POS 50 seater.

Bluto- I don't discount the value of higher-time pilots, however, my argument was related to skill and responsibility. I've flown with plenty of high-time/low-skill pilots. With regard to responsibility, I just can't accept that there are crews who would react differently in a given situation based on whether they are carrying 50 people or 70. Why don't we just call it what it is? Senior people should get paid more.

Halo- I'm not familiar with this Provo flight school. Do you still have something against one of your instructors there?

OCP- If human life is $1.2mil, the difference between 50 and 70 seats truly is negligible. You really think you'd be able to pay off 50 lives but not 70?

There is a well-defined difference between RISK and LIABILITY. Experience or skill only affects the former.

And everyone wonders why we continue to spiral downwards! When you can pick up your commercial and your MBA (aviation core) at the same FBO for a two for one price this is what you get.

Gawd help us all,

AA

Latest resources

Back