• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Vote NO on ASA PBS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fellow former ASA pilots. You will be voting in a concession. I have personal PBS experience. I hope you are good friends with scheduling, you will need all the favors you can get.

Fellow former ASA pilots. You will be voting in a concession. I have personal PBS experience. I hope you are good friends with scheduling, you will need all the favors you can get.

You only know a system that you and your union had no say in how it was run. That is not the system that is being proposed at ASA.

Personally I think anyone who is considering voting NO is doing so for some very good and strongly felt reasons.

They are mostly tired of being stuck in the non-upgrade or downgrade cycle, or maybe bitter over the inequities in the reserve and seniority system in general. They see a senior heavy pilot group which has no concern for the junior pilots. 'Junior pilot' once meant someone with less than two years with the company. That is no longer the case due to the perfeact storm of the economy and 65.

I am pretty much in this position. Junior CA on the 200. I've been 20 away from the bottom line since Sept of this year. Reserve can really suck! But I see nothing but either no change or much better improvements for me in this LOA. So it will be a yes for me.

I hear through the grapevine that the new reserve coverage is expected to be around 10% instead of the current 25%. Anyone know about this?

Whenever the union (people you're paying good money) is pushing a concessionary piece of language, BEWARE. I understand they put a lot of time into it, and somehow think of it as their "baby", but WTF. I didn't ask for it, and I don't want it. If I did, I would have asked.

Nice how the company is 100% sure it's gonna pass not having to one bit of the dirty work, well that's just icing on the cake. It cannot be a good thing, regardless of all the bells and whistles.

I was originally against PBS, if for no other reason maximizing time off for vacation under the current system. After looking over the LOA and listening in during the presentation in the crew lounge I am voting yes. Mostly for the same reasons as previously posted. As in everything in life, there is a trade-off. I like being able to convert a week of vacation into 17 days off, even if it costs me some money. Having said that I am willing to give part of that up to get the improvements in IOT and MOT with the ability to break trips up. After the learning curve peaks, I think the pilot-to-pilot trade board is going to be very active as people work the system swapping/picking up parts of trips.

I haven't really seen anything concrete from the no voters that would convince me to vote no. Is any system perfect? No, but I am comfortable with the language of the LOA.

Why I Am Voting No

Instead of all the hyperbole and conjecture, could someone please offer facts and/or for instances?

Having read the LOA a number of times, asked questions of the reps in the lounge, and attended a road show, I am voting no. Generally speaking, I do not feel the Union and Company have made an adequately compelling case for trading one seniority based bidding system for a bidding system that further favors the senior at the expense of the junior. They did a passable job of demonstrating what the software will do, but did not present a convincing argument about why we should accept it. Specifically, the following items have contributed significantly to my decision:
  • No language to prevent line holders from working more than four days in a row. As a matter of record, one of the union reps I talked to in the lounge commented that working five or six days in a row was actually probable for mid seniority and junior line holders. Under the current system, line holders will only work a maximum of four days in a row, excepting integration. There is no such guarantee under the new system.
  • No minimum trip credit value (trip rig) language. One union rep said the Company flat out refused to budge on minimum trip credit values. In my opinion, a minimum value for a trip is sine qua non to a preferential bidding system. With such language, pilots would be assured of efficient trip construction, resulting in either more days off or a higher paycheck. Without this language, mid grade and junior pilots can expect five or six days of work in a row with minimum days off in a month, along with a paycheck near guarantee.
  • The Vacation Issue. The Union reps used a profligate excess of words detailing how the vacation system could be better under PBS. Underneath the verbiage is the fact that pilots are still bidding on days off for vacation, with no language to prevent a trip on either side of a vacation. The current system guarantees a drop of conflicting trips. I prefer the iron clad language of the current system.
  • The shameful treatment of Reserves. I feel that reserves got tossed some "improvements" that appear as almost an afterthought to garner their votes. Much more should have been done. There has been much rhetoric implying that we should accept this LOA now, and work out the reserve issues in negotiation. The last negotiation took over five years. The Reserves deserve better than the sentiment of "line holders get theirs now, and Reserves will get theirs in half a decade".
Again, I will admit the sentiment petty, but the hubris displayed by the Union and the Company in their contemptible smugness regarding the passage of PBS irks me. I find their "Trust me...I know what is better for you" attitude condescending.
The Union and the Company have offered views of the failure of PBS passage ranging from the dramatic to the passive. I have heard that if we don't accept PBS then Delta will drop ASA, which will soon cease to exist as a company. I have heard that PBS is absolutely essential to ensure growth. I have heard that the United flying is dependent on the passage of PBS. These arguments contained much melodrama and passion, but no facts. If true, then the Union failed to demonstrate or document these alleged imperatives.
I do not subscribe to such pessimistic views. Given that the economy is showing signs of revival and that Age 65 will soon trigger significant retirements bordering on massive exodus, the negotiating landscape could look much, much different in three to five years. Pilots could conceivably be in a much, much stronger bargaining position as ASA struggles to keep pilots as mainline carriers begin hiring in earnest.
In conclusion, I don't feel that the proposed LOA offers a significant improvement over the current system. Honestly, I feel that the LOA is bad for over half the pilots (the bottom half of the line holders and all of the Reserves). I also think that there must be a minimum trip credit to ensure the construction of pairings that will ensure PBS generates schedules that are effecient for the Company and enhance the quality of life for the pilots. Further, I do not feel that there is a significant peril with voting down PBS, and despite all the dinning to the contrary, the situation in three to five years might actually be more favorable for negotiation.
Finally, and at the risk into straying into the aforementioned hyperbole, I would like to address the sentiment that PBS is inevitable. I don't believe in inevitable, and accepting some fate because there appears no way to avoid it is dangerously conformist groupthink, and un-American. What if George Washington had accepted the inevitable after the loss of New York? What if the USA had accepted the inevitable of the ruin of Pearl Harbor? What if Rosa Parks accepted the inevitable? Vote your intellect; vote your conscience; vote your emotion; but don't vote because you lack courage in your convictions and go along with the group. Vote yes or no because you actually believe it is the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Poppa!!

I am voting yes, but...

Best put NO vote synopsis I've read. I don't agree with enough of what you said to change my mind, but very well put!!

Having read the LOA a number of times, asked questions of the reps in the lounge, and attended a road show, I am voting no. Generally speaking, I do not feel the Union and Company have made an adequately compelling case for trading one seniority based bidding system for a bidding system that further favors the senior at the expense of the junior. They did a passable job of demonstrating what the software will do, but did not present a convincing argument about why we should accept it. Specifically, the following items have contributed significantly to my decision:
  • No language to prevent line holders from working more than four days in a row. As a matter of record, one of the union reps I talked to in the lounge commented that working five or six days in a row was actually probable for mid seniority and junior line holders. Under the current system, line holders will only work a maximum of four days in a row, excepting integration. There is no such guarantee under the new system.
  • No minimum trip credit value (trip rig) language. One union rep said the Company flat out refused to budge on minimum trip credit values. In my opinion, a minimum value for a trip is sine qua non to a preferential bidding system. With such language, pilots would be assured of efficient trip construction, resulting in either more days off or a higher paycheck. Without this language, mid grade and junior pilots can expect five or six days of work in a row with minimum days off in a month, along with a paycheck near guarantee.
  • The Vacation Issue. The Union reps used a profligate excess of words detailing how the vacation system could be better under PBS. Underneath the verbiage is the fact that pilots are still bidding on days off for vacation, with no language to prevent a trip on either side of a vacation. The current system guarantees a drop of conflicting trips. I prefer the iron clad language of the current system.
  • The shameful treatment of Reserves. I feel that reserves got tossed some "improvements" that appear as almost an afterthought to garner their votes. Much more should have been done. There has been much rhetoric implying that we should accept this LOA now, and work out the reserve issues in negotiation. The last negotiation took over five years. The Reserves deserve better than the sentiment of "line holders get theirs now, and Reserves will get theirs in half a decade".
Again, I will admit the sentiment petty, but the hubris displayed by the Union and the Company in their contemptible smugness regarding the passage of PBS irks me. I find their "Trust me...I know what is better for you" attitude condescending.
The Union and the Company have offered views of the failure of PBS passage ranging from the dramatic to the passive. I have heard that if we don't accept PBS then Delta will drop ASA, which will soon cease to exist as a company. I have heard that PBS is absolutely essential to ensure growth. I have heard that the United flying is dependent on the passage of PBS. These arguments contained much melodrama and passion, but no facts. If true, then the Union failed to demonstrate or document these alleged imperatives.
I do not subscribe to such pessimistic views. Given that the economy is showing signs of revival and that Age 65 will soon trigger significant retirements bordering on massive exodus, the negotiating landscape could look much, much different in three to five years. Pilots could conceivably be in a much, much stronger bargaining position as ASA struggles to keep pilots as mainline carriers begin hiring in earnest.
In conclusion, I don't feel that the proposed LOA offers a significant improvement over the current system. Honestly, I feel that the LOA is bad for over half the pilots (the bottom half of the line holders and all of the Reserves). I also think that there must be a minimum trip credit to ensure the construction of pairings that will ensure PBS generates schedules that are effecient for the Company and enhance the quality of life for the pilots. Further, I do not feel that there is a significant peril with voting down PBS, and despite all the dinning to the contrary, the situation in three to five years might actually be more favorable for negotiation.
Finally, and at the risk into straying into the aforementioned hyperbole, I would like to address the sentiment that PBS is inevitable. I don't believe in inevitable, and accepting some fate because there appears no way to avoid it is dangerously conformist groupthink, and un-American. What if George Washington had accepted the inevitable after the loss of New York? What if the USA had accepted the inevitable of the ruin of Pearl Harbor? What if Rosa Parks accepted the inevitable? Vote your intellect; vote your conscience; vote your emotion; but don't vote because you lack courage in your convictions and go along with the group. Vote yes or no because you actually believe it is the right thing to do.

Now that was an answer! (And Papa, stop doing that. This is FI)
But, it was good to see an intelligent, well-thought out response to an issue rather than the non-sensical emotional spouting of nonsense. Thanks for taking the time to air your views. I agree with some, and disagree with others.....but at least it wasn't the same old 'I'm mad about some other issue that has nothing to do with this, so I vote no!'

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back