Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dude!!

Ya had to turn it into an ALPA bash!!??

Just couldn't talk about PBS...could ya??

Well, let me ask you this. Which PBS system would you rather work under? The one Skywest has or the one ALPA has negotiated for us?

Those are your only two options, here and in reality. You can't answer my question with a question and you can't come up with another option!!

C'mon!! Answer the question. I know you really wanna answer!!!

I'll answer the question truthfully....

First off, I would rather work under the current line system....I can do better with vacation under it.

That being said, I am voting yes so as to be able to "stay in the game"....

I would rather work under the ALPA PBS, than the Skywest PBS to answer your question.

Now, since I answered your question, can you answer a question for me. Would you rather work under Skywest's PBS and grow, or ASA's PBS and shrink?

Those are your only two options....I know you want to answer.....

By the way...How do you figure that I turned this into an "ALPA bashing" issue?

I predict that PBS will pass by at least 2/3rd's of the 150 pilots who will vote! That means that 100 pilots of the required majority of 76 of 150, will get to decide how the other 1500+ of us bid out schedules from then to eternity! Somes things are totally predictable!

If 1500+ choose not to vote they don't have the right to complain about the outcome. I tend to think this vote will see a little more participation than the furlough fund vote though.

PBS won't make us less expensive than Skywest....nobody is saying it will. This vote comes down to one thing....Whether or not we are willing to work with Jerry...We don't have to be the cheapest...We don't have to be cheaper than Skywest....We do have to work with Jerry, or he will take his ball home.

The most job security we have is through the contracts that Jerry negotiated with both Delta and United....How much has ALPA achieved in the "job security" department....

As pilots, we are tought to look ahead and look at all the possible outcomes...What are the possible outcomes to Jerry deciding that ASA ALPA can't be dealt with?

I have a sincere question for you. Do you really think that it doesn’t matter that we will be more expensive than Skywest? Do you really think that all business sense will just fly out the window and they will lose money because we will “play ball”? They have already demonstrated that is not the case with the 900 thing a few years ago. Just put yourself in Inc’s shoes. Would you rather make a little money by giving ASA work or make more money by giving it to Skywest. That’s as simple as it can get. This is business.

You mentioned job security. There is a saying that goes “if you can’t beat them, join them”. That’s our only hope at job security. We can’t get cheaper then them, it’s one of the drawbacks of being a senior airline. So our only hope is a merger and without the leverage of PBS if it comes to a merger it will not be favorable for us. Just look at history and what has happened to other airlines in our position.

Alright fair enough, Sorry for the post but in regards to Pinnacle taking over for mesa, I have to disagree with you there. If we would have voted the TA in then you would have every right to say that but we are trying over here. It just so happens that we have not shut the airline down yet to get the contract in place. It is very, very hard to do that in the bases we operate in, especially with the old NWA block times. Now that we have a significant presence in ATL maybe that would be easier. As far as our management goes, we were not lucky enough to be bought by skywest, we have what we have. I almost wish someone would buy our half of the operation and let the crooks deal with colgan but maybe due to this investigation they will all get tossed or something, I don't know.

I'll answer the question truthfully....

First off, I would rather work under the current line system....I can do better with vacation under it.

That being said, I am voting yes so as to be able to "stay in the game"....

I would rather work under the ALPA PBS, than the Skywest PBS to answer your question.

Now, since I answered your question, can you answer a question for me. Would you rather work under Skywest's PBS and grow, or ASA's PBS and shrink?

Those are your only two options....I know you want to answer.....

By the way...How do you figure that I turned this into an "ALPA bashing" issue?

1. Answer to part of your first unfair question: I would rather operate under the ASA PBS, but I don't think we'll shrink as a result. I'm not claiming we'll grow either. And by the way, there is a term for a question with self disqualifying rhetorical elements, but I can't remember it. At least my question was fair!!

2. Your ALPA bash consisted of: The most job security we have is through the contracts that Jerry negotiated with both Delta and United....How much has ALPA achieved in the "job security" department....

The Delta and Jerry part is true, but you could also ask "What has ALPA done to cure cancer?" Stupid question, but it works as a slam on ALPA by making them look like an organization that kicks puppies and hates old people.

How about a compliment about what our MEC has negotiated? How about a compliment about their ability to work with management on this one?

How about mentioning there is a good chance this system will migrate over to the Skywest side in some form as another preemptive move to keep a union off their property? Another benefit for the Skywest side at our expense, maybe?

It is obvious we are definitely the current beneficiaries of many years of fantastic productivity and cooperation between Skywest management and their pilots. If not for their collective performance, we would be a southern version of Comair, or worse.

But as important as that recognition is, it is also important to recognize our impact on the Skywest pilot group. They have enjoyed a slight raising of the bar due to our efforts and stand to do even better if this PBS LOA passes at ASA.

Your points are spot on, but sometimes you really peeeess me off with all the griping about ALPA while you know very well the level of pay and QOL we have is very much due to that very organization's effort at both the local and national level. And while ALPA is a hydra with many heads, some not so pretty, positive recognition is due.

Any hope of fair debate mandates a spaghetti western view of things: (good, bad, ugly)

And another thing Joe!!

Did you go to a road show and get the vacation thing explained?

It was much better than I thought.

i did not perceive an ALPA bash from Joe. As he stated CLEARLY, ASA pilot job security, IF there is any, is related to the marketing agreement that was signed with Delta and confirmed by the Bankruptcy Judge. That is an accepted truth.

That is what I said, if you would only read my post. But I also said there is no reason to turn that well made point into an ALPA bash.

All jobs and their respective security originate with business. ALPA and unions in general give us the ability to conduct collective bargaining, protected as an expression of free speech. This is very much the same option many highly paid executives and other employees have, when working under contracts. The unions simply extend this same option to a collective group.

But like I said, Joe's ALPA slam was: The most job security we have is through the contracts that Jerry negotiated with both Delta and United....How much has ALPA achieved in the "job security" department....

The Delta and Jerry part is true, but you could also ask "What has ALPA done to cure cancer?" Stupid question, but it works as a slam on ALPA by making them look like an organization that kicks puppies and hates old people.

That sir, is an ALPA slam. And by itself, not very important.

This tent is big enough for an anti-ALPA train of thought. I'd rather have some guys like that in the room than a bunch of guys who will nod their heads in continue to march on in lock step. I believe that we stamp out any dissent in this regard, we are ultimately hurting ourselves. Without those voices, who is going point out the cliff that may being our path? Just like the angry anti PBS guy in the crew room, don't shut them up. Take an honest look at what they have to say. Be objective about it. Dissenting voices are sometimes just that, angry. But other times, they offer valuable insight.

Buscap, did ALPA truly get the job security issue taken care of or was it a team effort from the union and company to work together? Joe's point is that ALPA can not accomplish anything on its own. It must have a complicit counter part or nothing happens. I'll give credit where both sides have truly made an effort to work together to have a situation in which both sides come out ahead.

This tent is big enough for an anti-ALPA train of thought. I'd rather have some guys like that in the room than a bunch of guys who will nod their heads in continue to march on in lock step. I believe that we stamp out any dissent in this regard, we are ultimately hurting ourselves. Without those voices, who is going point out the cliff that may being our path? Just like the angry anti PBS guy in the crew room, don't shut them up. Take an honest look at what they have to say. Be objective about it. Dissenting voices are sometimes just that, angry. But other times, they offer valuable insight.

Buscap, did ALPA truly get the job security issue taken care of or was it a team effort from the union and company to work together? Joe's point is that ALPA can not accomplish anything on its own. It must have a complicit counter part or nothing happens. I'll give credit where both sides have truly made an effort to work together to have a situation in which both sides come out ahead.

Well said and very much my point. The man never throws ALPA a bone of compliment, just the criticism. While much criticism is deserved, there should be a "but" in there somewhere.

His dissent is invaluable and sorely needed, but let's give some credit to ALPA or unions in general where credit is due.

We can be "Fair and balanced" like FOX NEWS or we can actually be fair and balanced.

Latest resources

Back