Vision Airlines to fly struck Spirit Flights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

Vision Air has 16 aircraft which include 9 Dornier 228/328s.
Spirit has 31 airbuses.
So is Spirit planning on flying about 20% of their flight schedule and still make money???

cliff
LFW

Spirt does not have that many airplanes. I'm sure there's tons of 737 charter ops that are not too busy that could cover the flying. The problem is will these 737 pilot risk their jobs by not flying struck work? If they all say no, then it would be hard for their management to agree to do the flying. The other issue for Spirit, is even if they do cover the struck work, what then? They'll have to train pilots out of seniority and terminate the rest. I think it's all BS, management probably has the new contract ready to go but you just never know and Spirit prides itself in being an ultra bottom feeder and those are the most dangerous.

If one company is not union and they pick up routes for another company that is I think it is hard to call the pilots scabs as they are just doing their job. It is a very bad position to be in for the pilots as they have no protection whatsoever and it is not like spirit will hire them after they are fired from their airline for not flying. This is a scenario that I have been comtemplating for a while as I am not currently in that situation but could be in the future. would really like some good opinions on the whole thing.

If one company is not union and they pick up routes for another company that is I think it is hard to call the pilots scabs as they are just doing their job. It is a very bad position to be in for the pilots as they have no protection whatsoever and it is not like spirit will hire them after they are fired from their airline for not flying. This is a scenario that I have been comtemplating for a while as I am not currently in that situation but could be in the future. would really like some good opinions on the whole thing.

They would be Scabs. It's very simple. Their only choice would be to collectively say no.

thats a hard "no" to say when not everyone will be on board. Maybe a third would have the guts to do it, the others wouldn't, and now they are fired becuase of no protection. now are the guys that they hire to replace those fired also scabs? Is everybody who is not willing to risk their livlyhood for someone else's benifet also a scab. it is very easy for someone to say " not my problem" and turn the other side. I just don't think it is that simple. I would like to think that they aould convince the company not to do it as I am sure that a pay raise at spirit would benefit them as well just not in their shoes so hard to say.

If you fly struck work you are a scab. There aren't really any exceptions. Yes it would suck to lose your job over someone elses strike, but it would also suck to be stuck at visionair for your entire career because you're on a list.

I do not post a lot, but this is important.

I "en-Vision" historically higher number of go-arounds with any Spirit-fed flight operating after their MEC walks.

I'm only saving my company money with the reduced braking costs and the lower use of fuel with by using minimum thrust reverser. Unfortunately that requires a longer rollout and more time on the runway.

Suggest ATC space those flights out at 20 miles if anyone wants to get in.

Good luck Spirit

Most of the guys flying at Vision, the 737 ops, are furloughed Ual and out of work ATA. ALPA has done nothing for the guys at ATA after the shutdown. These guys are lucky to be flying at all in this economy. Are they supposed to risk being fired for Spirit? Just a thought....

Yes

The answer is yes.

I am former ATA who has found work at another airline. I would never consider flying struck work. While I am no lawyer, I believe labor laws are such that you can not be fired for refusing to cross a legal picket line which is exactly what you would be doing.

Those that take a Vision Air aircraft into the air to fly a Spirit flight will forever have the Scab notation next to their name. Your picture will be posted on the internet for all to see. Good luck on your commute or finding another job at an ALPA airline.

Latest resources

Back