• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin fuels fare war between U.S. airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And let's look at the TA you guys almost voted in. With just over 60% voting it down and 10+% not even voting, how do you take the moral high ground on this one?

We voted it down and recalled the union leadership by huge margins. If it wasn't for the scare campaign that the former union leadership engaged in, you probably would have seen 80+ percent vote down the TA. Irrelevant, though, because that crappy TA was still far superior to what the VA guys have. The top payrate in that TA was $182/hr.

Guess the govt should have denied VA an operating permit so we could go back to regulation.

Yes, now that you mention it, we should go back to regulation. This industry is a disaster and it's about time that the government admitted that deregulation was a huge mistake.

A fare war. Wonderful. Just what this industry needs.

Hey Virgin America pilots: thanks for undercutting the rest of us so VA can slash fares. :uzi:

Come on now, why does everyone blame the pilots? RJ pilots fly for peanuts because they want PIC time for a major in most cases. Low fare pilots enjoy descent compensation and job security as an alternative to crappy mgmt and furloughs at majors. Everyone is trying to pay the bills and stay flying to do so if they can. If you were having trouble finding good employment as a pilot and VA called you for an interview, would you turn it down out of principle? Would you take a hard stance and go sell shoes before flying a 747-400 at a great company with great service and lots of potential? I do not think most of us would. If you want to blame someone blame law makers or even mgmt. Pilots just show up to work and do what they are told. Just my humble opinion.

Am I a VA lover? Nope, they scare the hell out of me. I don't hate their pilots though!

Come on now, why does everyone blame the pilots?

Because pilots are their own worst enemies. While some of us are trying to build this profession back up, others are taking jobs at a fraction of what the rest of us are.

If you were having trouble finding good employment as a pilot and VA called you for an interview, would you turn it down out of principle?

I didn't even apply to these kinds of places. Wouldn't even apply to JetBlue because they were non-union. It's better to keep your RJ job where you make industry-standard RJ pay than to take a job flying an Airbus for a fraction of what everyone else flies it for.

Again: Now THAT'S funny!

PCL_128:

So, when you were single handedly building up the industry, you took your job at Airtran when they were paying better than UAL, AA and DAL?

Didn't this guy go to GIA? Now he is barking about bringing the industry down?

Last edited:
Because pilots are their own worst enemies. While some of us are trying to build this profession back up, others are taking jobs at a fraction of what the rest of us are.

I didn't even apply to these kinds of places. Wouldn't even apply to JetBlue because they were non-union. It's better to keep your RJ job where you make industry-standard RJ pay than to take a job flying an Airbus for a fraction of what everyone else flies it for.

Quit throwing stones PCL......6 years ago Airtran was the epitome of what you seem to be complaining about and deregulation allowed you to get started.

Your ancestors over there were the VA and Skybus pilots and now you have the nuts to call them down??"

Now that you are established, "let's close the doors to all new entrants!!"...sounds good, but screams hypocracy when that is exactly the same playbook Valuejet/Airtran used before you got there.

Wow. Keep your mouth shut and some people will think you are stupid. Open your mouth... and you remove all doubt.

... and the sad part... you don't have any idea do you?

PCL_128:"I bought my job and now, I am mad as hell!"

Please!

Geez.....lighten up people. Why are we chucking rocks at each other. Someone slams Virgin, then someone slams UAL, someone slams AirTran....yada yada yada......

Yesterday someone said it was AirTran, Today it's Virgin America and Skybus. Who will it be tomorrow? I know a certain Airline that will soon be training monkeys to take our jobs because they will work for crew bananas only.

You people are starting to get on my nerves....blah blah blah.....my Airline invented flying...blah...blah..blah....

someone had it right....we are our worst enemy.

The only reason Southwest is in SFO is to kill vigin america. United and Southwest will cut fares as long as it takes to put VA under. Then Southwest will leave SFO, again, and things will be back to normal. SFO is going to be an even bigger mess this winter with the extra flights.

Scott

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back