• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America Passes Proving Runs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe all the Blue Pilots should consider this milestone by Virgin America. Lets see what their payscale and benefits package looks like; I'm willing to bet you'll see new lows for A320 sized compensation. Additionally, the addition of another possible contender at JFK requires our airline to be conservatively cautious in the way we do business and handle ourselves. I look for VA to be up and running by April 2007-- they have 9 airplanes already!

BLUE BAYOU;1203183-- they have 9 airplanes already![/quote said:
But they still dont have an operating certificate. Something about "foriegn investors". They claim that Branson isnt involved, but I hear that he is having a "raffle" for one lucky employee to have a week vacation on his private island. Kind of hard to convince the feds that branson is not involved when he is having this kind of raffle.

I guess we will see in a few months.

No, I'm betting that Skybus out of Columbus will set even lower Airbus pay levels with ex-Indy drivers... JetBlue pay will look generous in comparison.

But they still dont have an operating certificate. Something about "foriegn investors". They claim that Branson isnt involved, but I hear that he is having a "raffle" for one lucky employee to have a week vacation on his private island. Kind of hard to convince the feds that branson is not involved when he is having this kind of raffle.

I guess we will see in a few months.

I heard today from a reliable source that VA will not get DOT approval, at least not in the near future

Ok, proving runs all for nought:

Virgin America expects federal rejection

San Francisco Business Times - 12:00 PM PST Friday

• print_icon.gif
    Print this Article
  • email_icon.gif
    Email this Article
  • reprints_icon.gif
    Reprints
  • rssfeed_icon.gif
    RSS Feeds
  • most_viewed_icon.gif
    Most Viewed
  • most_emailed_icon.gif
    Most Emailed
The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Virgin America Inc., the Burlingame-based brainchild of Sir Richard Branson, expects federal authorities to reject its application to start a low-cost U.S. airline. Competitors had raised concerns that foreigners such as Branson would wield too much influence in the venture.
U.S. law requires that Americans control domestic airlines flying within the country and that foreigners hold no more than 25 percent of a domestic airline's stock.
B1826135.3;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=300x250;ord=cxiKey,bcyyzRaexKsf

Virgin America has been waiting more than a year for a decision.
"We are hearing that there is going to be a negative order coming," Fred Reid, Virgin America's CEO, was quoted in the Wall Street Journal. He expects a decision as soon as next week.
An outright rejection is possible. It's also possible that the Transportation Department will tell the company how it might address concerns raised about foreign control or other matters.
On Tuesday, Donald Carty, Virgin America's chairman and former American Airlines CEO, was named chief financial officer at computer maker Dell Inc.
Carty's appointment to the Virgin America board in February had lent cachet to the airline's attempts to get federal approval for its license to fly. Carty also invested an undisclosed amount of money in Virgin America.
A Virgin America spokesman said Carty's new job at Dell would not affect his status as the airline's non-executive chairman. The spokesman declined to say how much time Carty will devote to Virgin America.
The airline has taken delivery of planes and had launched a massive hiring effort. Virgin America had plans to offer low-cost domestic air service like JetBlue Airways Corp. and Southwest Airlines Co. One of its first routes will be between San Francisco and New York City.
Branson raised $177 million in startup capital for the airline in December 2005 from U.S. private equity firms and Branson himself.
Rival airlines have objected to Virgin America's application to fly. They questioned whether Virgin America is under control of U.S. citizens, or by Branson. Virgin America has said it complies with U.S. law and that Branson does not control the enterprise.
Virgin America is a separate business from other airlines begun by Branson, including Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd., which offers trans-Atlantic service.

Latest resources

Back