• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America orders 40 A320s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought you were not in support of jumpseat wars? So any Union count if is not ALPA are you going to deny AMR, SWA, F9, Any teamsters carrier. Sure a lot of Mainline pilots in the JS on companies like SkyW would hate to see them not get to work since much of the flying is on RJ's now. To each there own but to deny a fellow pilot the jumpseat is pathetic. I didn't asked to be furloughed does that mean you will deny me!

I don't care what union a pilot group is affiliated with. Become a branch of the Association of Dog Walkers, I don't care. Have a crappy initial contract, I don't care, just make the effort and get to that first step of certifying a union with the Department of Labor.

Read my post again. My "3 year" limit starts tomorrow or sometime in the future with Carrier XYZ, not sometime in the past.

Hope that makes it a little more clear. By the way, I'm not ALPA.

It's not even a real order.

It's just an MOU.

Subject to change, ratification and more importantly a down payment.

Maybe not the only ones...

From the DAL CEO:

"...But Delta’s chief executive, Richard H. Anderson, indicated on a conference call with analysts on Monday that Delta’s capacity would grow 5 to 7 percent in the fourth quarter to make up for last year’s sharp pullback. He also forecast capacity growth of 1 to 3 percent in 2011. Delta is not planning to increase the number of planes it has; rather, it wants to fly them more often."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/20/business/20air.html?partner=yahoofinance

Hey TZ.....

All those airplanes were pulled out of service 2 years ago when VA had one plane. The capacity rise comes from planes back from the desert, that's it!

Nobody on my side of the house is running around Farnborough purchasing 60 jets or anything.....

No Jumpseat wars.....UNSAT!

They can get enough $hit when people see them in the terminal and see those "hip" unis.

So I think I read that right. They lost $20 million for Q2 and only have about $20 million left in the bank.

No you read it wrong. Q2 results have not been released. As of the last financial report, Q1, we had $28 million in cash and $108 million in total liquidity. Also as of Q1, financials were ahead of planned and were on track for a total year profit. Funny how everyone seems to forget that last part when predicting our demise - our financial performance is ahead of expectations and we will make a profit for the year.

No Jumpseat wars.....UNSAT!

They can get enough $hit when people see them in the terminal and see those "hip" unis.

Have yet to hear anything negative said about the uniforms other than here on FI. Are you guys pilots or auditioning for new episodes of 'Queer eye for the straight guy' with all your fashion sense?

Ding Ding Ding!

It's not even a real order.

It's just an MOU.

Subject to change, ratification and more importantly a down payment.

Virgin America Signs MOU for 40 More Airbus A320 Aircraft

News >> Civil Aviation >> Sales & Contracts Released on Thursday, July 22, 2010

Virgin America set to acquire 40 more Airbus A320 Aircraft
Virgin America and Airbus signed a non-binding Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for 40 Airbus A320 aircraft today at the Farnborough International Air Show.

The order will triple Virgin America's fleet going forward. The airline indicated it would announce its choice of engines for the additional aircraft once the purchase agreement is finalized.

"The low operating costs and cabin comfort of the A320 fit our growth plans as well as our guests' high expectations for comfort, style and efficiency in their travel," said Virgin America President and CEO David Cush.

"A repeat order from Virgin America � a U.S. airline growing quickly both in terms of their route network and their reputation for excellent service � is a great affirmation of the benefits of operating the A320 Family," said John Leahy, Airbus Chief Operating Officer, Customers. "We are very pleased they have chosen to expand their reach with even more of our aircraft, and we look forward to continuing to support their Airbus fleet."

Virgin America already operates 28 Airbus aircraft (10 A319s and 18 A320s) and will put a total of 22 more purchased and leased A320s into service by the end of 2012. Once finalized, the MoU announced today would expand the Virgin America fleet to a total of 90 Airbus aircraft.

What better way for both Airbus and Virgin America to come away with some big press releases.

My understanding of a non-binding MOU is that nothing is required to be exercised and no money is lost if they are not. No surprise the official Virgin America Press Release (even the one released internally prior) spin this as much as possible that they are orders while all of the actual aviation news companies clearly report it for what it is...a possible order.

Yeah Branson isn't exactly press shy.

Got to make a little noise at the Air Show.

Anything is possible. Time will tell.

doesn't this belong on the LCC board?

Yay, 400 more of the worst paid, non-union, pilots in this country get to be added to the dime-a-dozen ranks.

doesn't this belong on the LCC board?

Yay, 400 more of the worst paid, non-union, pilots in this country get to be added to the dime-a-dozen ranks.

WN was once here as was B6.....tick, tock, tick, tock....

Latest resources

Back