Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jonjuan

Honey Ryder
http://www.flightglobal.com/article...gin-america-signs-mou-for-up-to-60-a320s.html

FARNBOROUGH: Virgin America signs MoU for up to 60 A320s
By David Kaminski-Morrow

Virgin America has signed a memorandum of understanding for up to 60 Airbus A320s.
Its agreement, disclosed at the Farnborough Air Show, covers 40 firm and 20 optioned jets.
The aircraft would be delivered from 2013, says the carrier.
No engine selection has been given.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/06/24/343674/virgin-america-shrinks-1q-losses.html
Virgin America shrinks 1Q losses

San Francisco-based Virgin America narrowed its losses year-over-year for the first quarter, posting a $35.5 million loss versus a $40.3 million loss for the year prior.
The carrier's operating loss for the first quarter of 2010 was $21.6 million, an improvement from the $31.6 million posted a year ago. In a statement outlining its first quarter financial performance Virgin America claims if fuel prices remained constant year-over-year, it would have generated an operating profit during the first quarter.
The average cost per gallon of fuel for Virgin America in the first quarter grew 72% year-over-year as it consumption increased 27%.
During the first three months of 2010 Virgin America hedged 70% of its fuel consumption, and for the remainder of the year has hedged 85% of its projected consumption at an average crude call strike of $85 per barrel.
The carrier posted a 46% rise in revenues during the first quarter to $146 million as unit revenues grew by 21% to 8.29 cents.
Virgin America's overall expenses increased 28% year-over-year driven largely by fuel costs. Its unit cost excluding fuel fell 11% to 6.43 cents.
While its operating margin remains negative, Virgin America did improve that line item by 16 points to negative 15%.
The carrier's traffic grew 31% during the quarter on 27% growth in scheduled capacity, which led to a 4 percentage point rise in load factor to 76%.
Carrier CEO David Cush says despite the rise in Virgin America's fuel costs, "our top line progress continues to exceed our expectations and we remain on track for full year operating profit in 2010".
Virgin America ended the first quarter with $28 million in restricted cash and total liquidity of $102 million.

http://www.flightglobal.com/article...n-america-seeks-approval-to-serve-mexico.html

Virgin America seeks approval to serve Mexico
By Dan Webb
Virgin America announced on 29 June it will file with the US Department of Transportation (DOT) for authority to begin flying to Mexico later this year from its Los Angeles and San Francisco focus cities.
The San Francisco-based carrier intends to fly to Cancun from Los Angeles and San Francisco, and also hopes to receive the authority to fly to San Jose Del Cabo from San Francisco.
"The nice thing about Mexico is that it helps balance out our network. There is strong traffic to these beaches in the first quarter which is our weakest quarter," Virgin America CEO David Cush told ATI today on a flight celebrating the launch of its new Toronto service.
Schedules in the Innovata database show that United currently flies to Cancun from San Francisco, and Delta, United, and Mexicana fly there from Los Angeles. Alaska Airlines recently ceased service on 6 June.
"I think that's more of a network strategy that Alaska has than any comment on the market," says Cush. "We've looked at the numbers, we think it will be successful." He notes that he thinks Alaska has been focusing on "redirecting their network to Hawaii".
The airline will face competition from Alaska Airlines and United Airlines on the San Francisco - Cabo route.
Cush explains that all of the routes have open route authorities and that "we're quite optimistic that we'll get approval for these and get them quickly".
The current bilateral agreement between the USA and Mexico only allows three American carriers to have authority for a route. There are currently three US Airlines - United, American, and Alaska - that are flying from Los Angeles to Cabo, for example.
According to a regulatory filing submitted to the DOT, Virgin America's proposed service from Los Angeles to Cancun and from San Francisco to Cabo will operate five times weekly. Flights from San Francisco to Cancun will run three times weekly.

Skybus orders 65 A319s!
http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1161853212.html

October 26, 2006
Airbus said on Thursday that US low cost airline Skybus had signed a firm contract to buy 65 Airbus A319 planes.
The first A319 will be delivered in late 2008.
"The Airbus A319 is a 'state of the art' aircraft" said Ken Gile, Skybus President. "It fits perfectly with our business model, which includes high utilization of aircraft and quick turnaround times on the ground."
Airbus officials said the Skybus order was among the largest ever received from a startup US-based carrier.
"It is exciting to get in on the ground floor of such a promising operation as Skybus," said John Leahy, Airbus Chief Operating Officer. "It has been a few years since an order of this meaning and magnitude has come from a low-cost start-up airline. It's a true testament to the airline's confidence in our product and our people."
The A319 is the third derivative in the popular Airbus A320 family, which has generated firm orders for more than 4,500 aircraft from 166 customers. The standard A319 seats 124 passengers.
Financial terms of the order were not announced.

(Reuters)

:D

PHOENIX, Oct. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- America West Airlines, Inc. (NYSE: AWA) announced today an agreement in principle to acquire up to 34 new aircraft from Airbus Industrie. This new order replaces an order for 24 aircraft that was entered into in 1990.
Twenty-four of the aircraft will be A320s, 12 of which are subject to cancellation. The balance of 10 aircraft will be A319s and/or A321s at the airline's option. All three aircraft are common type-rated, simplifying flight crew assignments, training and maintenance. America West has not named an engine supplier. …

M

On November 6, 1996, just following the re-branding to US Airways, US Airways placed an order for up to 400 Airbus A320-series narrowbody aircraft, with 120 firm orders at the time of the order signing. At the time, it was regarded as the largest single aircraft order in history. In 1998, they followed that up with an order for up to 30 Airbus A330-series or A340-series widebody aircraft, with an initial firm order for 7 A330-300 aircraft. These orders accomplished two goals. They allowed US Airways to replace older aircraft with newer, more efficient aircraft, and they also helped with the re-branding and repositioning of US Airways as the "Global Carrier of Choice".

:laugh:

This is great news!

Although I don't work for VA, I feel obligated to help VA survive by helping anyway I can.

It's tough for a start-up to pay an adequate salary to pilots to live near their job at places like SFO for VA. I just feel obligated as a legacy union pilot to give a non-union VA pilot a free jumpseat ride to work since he probably can't afford to live near VA's SFO crewbase.

they need help. Everybody should do their part to chip in. :erm:

This is great news!

Although I don't work for VA, I feel obligated to help VA survive by helping anyway I can.

It's tough for a start-up to pay an adequate salary to pilots to live near their job at places like SFO for VA. I just feel obligated as a legacy union pilot to give a non-union VA pilot a free jumpseat ride to work since he probably can't afford to live near VA's SFO crewbase.

they need help. Everybody should do their part to chip in. :erm:

No kidding-and when you're furloughed from your major job in a few years due to their predatory fares/routes, maybe they'll give you a preferential interview. Then again, like now, they won't look at furloughees knowing that they'll leave if things get better elsewhere. ALK should pay no attention to them-they're Skybus II.

So I think I read that right. They lost $20 million for Q2 and only have about $20 million left in the bank.

Latest resources

Back