Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Top Spirit pay tops out at $185/hr.

That's about 50k per year more.

To be more accurate, you need to compare rates at years of service. That is the only unbiased way to compare things. Virgin does not have a published pay rate beyond ten years because the most senior pilot on property is still six years away from that pay. To say that our pay "tops out at $133" is at best a gross oversimplification. Suffice it to say as Virgin America has 15 year captains, you will see pay rates published for those years of service. If you think otherwise, you are an ignorant fool. At this point there is simply no need for the company to publish pay rates that it will not have to pay for over a decade.

Spirit has 15 year captains so clearly they need to publish those rates as they are clearly applicable to their pilot group.

If you really want to compare raw numbers though, lets compare what a three year pilot a Virgin America is making versus a three year pilot at Spirit is making (hourly rate x min guarantee):

Virgin America - $92,400
Spirit - $57,024

A three year pilot at Spirit is still a junior FO, whereas a three year pilot at Virgin America is a senior captain. And I'd much rather have an extra $35,000 at year three, than an extra $7,500 at year ten.

I'm not going to argue JetBlue vs Virgin rates since JB paid $85/hr when everyone else was paying $200+/hr.

BUT....

our COO in his last conference call mentioned how your payrates were going to be included in our peer set since soon you'll be a "major" airline. So your payrates absolutely and directly affect ours.

I empathize with our pay or lack there of, but this is not the VA pilots problem. Who we include in our peer set is up to... well not us. not to mention that I don't think there is any comparison with VA to anyone right now. they are only 4ish years old. The fact that RM wants to compare is bogus. We could go on and on about who to include as peers, but we get nothin until we have a say in the matter.

Latest resources

Back