• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America Cuts Airbus Order, Delays 30 Jets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the CEO is talking to the employees in terms of operating profit which is not the same as net loss/profit. The company is making money from it's operations which is revenue minus operating cost but this doesn't include the cost of servicing (principal and interest payments) the debt. There is a loss at the bottom line which includes the cost of servicing the debt. So the company would be making money without the debt but the debt exists so operating profit is a somewhat irrelevant number. It would be like a household saying how well they would be doing if only they didn't have to pay the mortgage and the credit card bills.

I might be wrong but I think that accounts for the difference in numbers.

LOL! That is a blast from the past. Thanks.

I actually got hired, but chose not to take the job. A quick read of that 2008 post shows the reasons why.

Sure you did. :rolleyes:

That's why:

Yes VA pay is lower that most. but where I am it is a 12 year upgrade and reserve is 3 years. At VA I can get a line in a month, upgrade in 1 year and make more at their low captain pay than at my "Major Airline" FO pay. If VA stays around they will migrate to industry standard and the pilots will unionise if not treated fairly.

All those predictions for you would have been true, and you would have been a senior Captain right now. But of course, "you turned it down" based on what some ALPA chest-thumpers posted on that thread. Right.

Sure you did. :rolleyes:

That's why:

All those predictions for you would have been true, and you would have been a senior Captain right now. But of course, "you turned it down" based on what some ALPA chest-thumpers posted on that thread. Right.

Relax, I am still at my Major airline with a 12 year upgrade, my pension, and ALPA chest-thumpers. All those predictions have come true. I am now on 5 yr pay and off reserve. You are correct. If I took the VA offer I would be a senior captain. The fact is my airline just ordered 50 more aircraft to be delivered before VA gets its first NEO and is making more money than any time in its 80 year history. VA has lost $800,000,000.00 and is deferring aircraft. Was it the right choice? Ask me when I retire. I'm comfortable with my choice so far.

I think the CEO is talking to the employees in terms of operating profit which is not the same as net loss/profit. The company is making money from it's operations which is revenue minus operating cost but this doesn't include the cost of servicing (principal and interest payments) the debt. There is a loss at the bottom line which includes the cost of servicing the debt. So the company would be making money without the debt but the debt exists so operating profit is a somewhat irrelevant number. It would be like a household saying how well they would be doing if only they didn't have to pay the mortgage and the credit card bills.

I might be wrong but I think that accounts for the difference in numbers.

Good lord. Stick to your day job.

Latest resources

Back