Violating an FAR

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stifler's Mom said:
Have you ever broken sterile cockpit? Chit-chatting during the taxi out or in.
It never stops where I fly!

Theres one captain I fly with that if its my flying leg, and its good weather out, he will go on and on and on babbling while I'm coming down final. It's almost distracting because he's just talking about the most random, insignificant stuff. Of course I'm good at blocking him out and not letting it get in the way of my concentration.

Then every single time, on cue, the second we hit 50 feet AGL, he'll rapid-fire say "LAST 50 FEET - STERILE COCKPIT" and then sit up real straight and professional in his seat staring straight forward. It never gets old, and theres rarely been a time that I haven't crossed the threshold laughing at this ridiculous comment.

Kingfisher,

One part you should consider is "Intent". For a moment driving you car at 56 mph in a 55 zone is breaking the law. However, Driving your car at 140 mph to evade the police is a different story.

Rules and regulations are there to set a bench mark. Many times for your own (and others) safety. What your intent is when you are going past that mark is important.

Just my thought on the subject.

JAFI

Fly_Chick said:
Transponder, that is a good one. Add to that forgetting to call ATC when entering the hold, not being able to climb/descend 500' per minute, ETA is off by three minutes or more, not calling ATC when the cigarette lighter/adapter has failed (reporting any equipment malfunction), failure to report unforecast wx (cig bkn 5000' as opposed to bkn 8000').

The first and last are the only regs I know of in the list.

NYCPilot said:
Momentarily not maintaining VFR cloud distance due to traffic?

I always use not maintaining VFR cloud clearence on a dark night. It's worked so far.

Later

My buddy used the "i got a little close to clouds" one and got called for school a week ago. They just want to see what you'll say.

Fly_Chick said:
Transponder, that is a good one.
Particularly if you're an instructor. You were managing a difficult student and it just got by.

Fly_Chick said:
Add to that forgetting to call ATC when entering the hold,
Not regulatory.
Fly_Chick said:
not being able to climb/descend 500' per minute,
Again, not regulatory in nature.
Fly_Chick said:
ETA is off by three minutes or more,
Still not regulatory.
Fly_Chick said:
not calling ATC when the cigarette lighter/adapter has failed (reporting any equipment malfunction),
Also not correct from a 91.213 point of view
Fly_Chick said:
failure to report unforecast wx (cig bkn 5000' as opposed to bkn 8000').
Now this is an FAR but you're not going to get in trouble because the ceiling is 5000' instead of 8000'.

Oh, and let's not forget the catchall - reporting anything that adversely affects safety of flight. In a single-pilot environment you might be a little busy to make a carefully-worded, liability-busting report of such to the appropriate ATC facility.

have you ALWAYS made left turns at non-towered airports?

Make sure its about something you did accidentally, or an oversight.. NOT "I had a NAV light out, but no one was around" That is intentionally breaking a FAR.
A)they don't want pilots who break FARS intentionally.
B)they certainly don't want pilots who admit to breaking FARS intentionally after the fact!

Latest resources

Back