• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"VFR on top" clearance. . .

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't know if the US ever had them, but I'll see your timed approache with a DME Homing & Descent from Oz. Or is foreign currency against table rules in this game? :p

Speaking of all but defunct approaches, did the US ever have DME Homing & Descents, as we once had in Oz?

Tinstaafl said:
Speaking of all but defunct approaches, did the US ever have DME Homing & Descents, as we once had in Oz?

I haven't ever heard of them, and I'm pobably more interested in obsolete trivia than the average pilot (I fly a DC-6, for example) How did were those approaches done?

C-141/C-5 said:
4. So, what it boils down to is little bug smashers getting impatient getting the VFR on top and screwing up the airspace up more for the bigger jets. Reminds me of the idiots on the road in the left lane and going 5mph below the speed limit and you can't get by.
Well most jets are flying in the flight levels where VFR ON-TOP is prohibited.

So my question is, are you flying a C-5 below FL180? IF so

STOP WASTING MY TAX MONEY!

Last edited:
Tinstaafl said:

Not that I know of - I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it doesn't sound familiar. I'm pretty interested in all that stuff, too - Wish I could go for a ride in A Squared's DC-6!

Ndb/dme

I remember reading about NDB/DME app's, once apon a time. I cannot remember what I was reading or where I was reading about them. Or if I did read it at all.

Maybe it was something else entirely. Anyone know?

Denizen said:
I remember reading about NDB/DME app's, once apon a time. I cannot remember what I was reading or where I was reading about them. Or if I did read it at all.

They exist. I've always heard about them being in Alaska, though I'm sure there are probably some that are in the lower 48. Remember that DME is not strictly associated with VORs.

PADK NDB/DME 23

Denizen said:

Sure, there's NDB/DME approaches, quite a few of them in Alaska. In fact, at many airports that was the only approach until GPS approaches started becoming common.

I don't think Tinstaafl was referring to NDB/DME approaches though.

No, You are probably correct Asquared, I was having a scotch induced memory and I knew someone here had seen, or heard of the NDB/DME. Or done one.

I didn't think that was what the other gentleman was refering to. Sorry for the thread creep.

As an aside, I was at some airport that I can't remember, drinking old coffee that I should not have been drinking, trying to stay awake for "just one more leg", when I saw tacked to the wall some really neat "Radio Range" charts for that part of the country.

No mind you I have a limited idea of how these approches worked, I was more impressed by the charts themselves...seems like someone spent alot of time making them rather artfull.

Anyway, thanks for refreshing my memory.

Denizen said:

Yeah, there are NDB/DME approaches around, like this one at Maui. I think he's talking about something else entirely, though. If he doesn't come back and clarify, I'll go ask on PPrune, since I am a bit of a trivia nut.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back