VFR Flight Following Why?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotyip

Observation while flying VFR in the mightly C-172 the other day. Approaching TOL from the south at 5,500' on a 50 mile visibility clear blue day, I thought I would advise TOL approach I was overflying their airspace at 5,500'. I could not get a word in edgewise, there must have been 10 VFR airplanes asking for VFR flight following. So I finally made the call and was told to "Standby and remain clear of class C airspace". That was cool I was doing it anyway. I continued to moniter the freq. The controller kept telling the VFR airplanes he had a VFR aircraft at 5,500' unconfirmed at xxo'clock, etc. He was overloaded, plus he handels the IFR handoff's at CRUXX intersection for traffic going in YIP and PTK. To the point, why is it on a beautiful VFR day pilots have to be talking to someone? Is not the beauty of flying VFR the escape from the constant chatter on the radios? Why do pilots seek to have VFR flight following?

pilotyip said:
Observation while flying VFR in the mightly C-172 the other day. Approaching TOL from the south at 5,500' on a 50 mile visibility clear blue day, I thought I would advise TOL approach I was overflying their airspace at 5,500'.

To the point, why is it on a beautiful VFR day pilots have to be talking to someone? Is not the beauty of flying VFR the escape from the constant chatter on the radios? Why do pilots seek to have VFR flight following?

I'm sorry - did you say you were flying VFR but felt the urge to talk to someone? Or is it only OTHER pilots that should get off the frequency, not you?

Yours is a valid question - but it seems you should be able to look to yourself and find an answer you can share with the rest of us.

pilotyip said:
Observation while flying VFR in the mightly C-172 the other day. Approaching TOL from the south at 5,500' on a 50 mile visibility clear blue day, I thought I would advise TOL approach I was overflying their airspace at 5,500'. I could not get a word in edgewise, there must have been 10 VFR airplanes asking for VFR flight following. So I finally made the call and was told to "Standby and remain clear of class C airspace". That was cool I was doing it anyway. I continued to moniter the freq. The controller kept telling the VFR airplanes he had a VFR aircraft at 5,500' unconfirmed at xxo'clock, etc. He was overloaded, plus he handels the IFR handoff's at CRUXX intersection for traffic going in YIP and PTK. To the point, why is it on a beautiful VFR day pilots have to be talking to someone? Is not the beauty of flying VFR the escape from the constant chatter on the radios? Why do pilots seek to have VFR flight following?

because its an extra set of eyes looking for aircraft along with yours.... and if there is an emergency your already talking to someone...

I always made my students get it, but I never got it for myself. Clear as mud?

I live in Ohio, and everytime I go up to TOL airspace they are overloaded with VFR flight following. I've never see it that bad any where else in Ohio or WV.

Which usually puts the controllers in a bad mood for any IFR traffic.

Was it a weekend with CAVU weather?

Our insurance at the school requires either a fligth plan or flight following whenever you go cross country. If I am doing a short hop for my side job, as mentioned before, to have an extra set of eyes and and I don't have to worry about one extra thing if I need to holler "MAYDAY!" (twisting up 121.5)

TiredOfTeaching said:
Our insurance at the school requires either a fligth plan or flight following whenever you go cross country. If I am doing a short hop for my side job, as mentioned before, to have an extra set of eyes and and I don't have to worry about one extra thing if I need to holler "MAYDAY!" (twisting up 121.5)
Flight following can be done in house by company...

Never mind flight following, I want to know why any of us bother to talk to anyone at all. I mean, all those pesky control towers and approach facilities and ARTCCs just get in the way and keep us from having the precious in-flight silence that we all deserve as strapping aviators. Some people say that it increases safety and our ability to prevent mid-air collisions, but I just don't buy it--we should be able to fly wherever and how ever we want. Screw public safety. If they can't avoid falling debris, that's their own effing problem. Oh sure, there will be a few "squares" down at the FAA who won't dig the "goose" philosophy, but I think it'll catch on eventually.

-Goose

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back