• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Vanity Fair article on the GOL 737 and Legacy mid-air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Those who flew for PanAm, TWA and the like 40 or more years ago would be grossly appalled at the lake of skills these two possessed (the Legacy crew).

Oh, and the author's description of FSI as creating pilots who fear bureaucrats was right on.

What is this Lake of Skills of which you speak? I know there was a Lake of Skulls in a He-Man episode. Come to think of it, that must have been a pretty good job for those guys if they could afford to buy a lake! Sure it wasn't just a little pond?

I am sure your aviation powers far exceed your editing powers. I bow before you in awe, and offer you a sacrifice of two virgin FOs and one shrubbery!

No, I think I shall refer to you as a feminine cleansing product instead.

I have never flown an Embraer, but to call it questionable is a flat out lie. There are 1000's of these things flying and I can't recall an accident that was attributed to it being a "questionably" built airplane.

I think he was talking about business jets in general being questionable.

Tree hugger.

It's in the article early on. Very critical of the concept of a biz-jet in reference to the environment. He is offended by the very existence of any biz-jet.

The Legacy occupies a position toward the high end of private jets—among airplanes like Gulfstreams, Challengers, and Falcons—which by political, ethical, and environmental measures are abhorrent creations, but which nonetheless are masterworks of personal transportation. The Legacy weighs 50,000 pounds fully loaded, and is powered by twin Rolls-Royce turbofan engines mounted aft against the fuselage, delivering a total of 16,000 pounds of thrust at a price to the atmosphere and global oil reserves of about 300 gallons an hour.
I wonder if the two Falcons his employer, Vanity Fair, operates out of GSO are also abhorrent.

Last edited:
Get Off of My Lawn!!!

Those who flew for PanAm, TWA and the like 40 or more years ago would be grossly appalled at the lack of skills these two possessed (the Legacy crew).

Third world controllers manage to get two airplanes in the same piece of sky and they hit each other. These guys got a crippled plane on the ground in the middle of the Amazon and save everyone on board. What an appalling lack of skills. Yeah.

If only they were more like those infallible, superhuman old school PanAm and TWA guys.

I'm sure the crews of PanAm flights 806 (CFIT), flight 812 (Failed cross check in Bali), Flight 845 (set the bugs wrong), flights 759 and 214 (flew into thunderstorms) and flight 151(unauthorized descent below minimums) are spinning in their graves over the appalling lack of skills displayed by these guys who got the plane on the ground.
Let's not forget Tenerife. No breakdown in the chain there, right?

How about the amazing old school omniscience at TWA? Flights 3,128, and 514 are CFIT. Flights 2 and 266 are MIDAIRS that didn't make it to a runway. Hikers call it the 'TWA Canyon' now after flight 260.

You're just another in a centuries long line of losers that refuses to let facts and common sense get in the way of making irrational, ridiculous claims that people who happened to be alive in the "good old days" are somehow superior to those who happen to have not had the unbelievable honor of being born then. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone saw the piece on 20/20 about a week ago about this incident. It was interesting to say the least. I'll try to get a linky.

Third world controllers manage to get two airplanes in the same piece of sky and they hit each other. These guys got a crippled plane on the ground in the middle of the Amazon and save everyone on board. What an appalling lack of skills. Yeah.

You forget to mention that this was with the help of the 1st world pilots that turned the transponder off right?

Latest resources

Back