Valuable ratings VS. Just more money

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PilotOnTheRise said:
When it comes to getting a pilot slot through Active Duty, or Guard/Reserve, having previous flight time, and some ratings under your belt are a good thing. It only helps your chances.

My question is;
What ratings are good to get, and help your chances, vs. what ratings are simply burning more holes in your pocket, and don't make a difference.

For example, is having a private, and instrument sufficient, along with a good amount of flight time, or if one can, does continuing on, and getting a commercial, etc., etc., help even more.

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but if you get a pilot slot, obviously you are getting trained, and will receive all of these ratings through the military, free. Is it worth spending $20K+ for all of these ratings past the instrument civilian?

Back on the topic....Since you have not gotten selected for a pilot program yet, you always have to have a back up plan, and not put all your eggs in one basket. Life can always hand you a $hit sandwich.

Getting your private and Instrument would not only help your packet, but it would also show people you like aviation enough to put your money and time into getting your ratings. Also, having flown instruments before can only make your time in Flight School a little easier, since you will have that base of knowledge.

Until you have been selected, you don't have the option to Uncle Sam pay for your ratings. Yes, there are plenty of lucky guys who have never had to pay a dime for their flight time or licenses. Personally I like to hire guys who I know have put their own money and effort into their careers, not just the ones that only get the ratings that the Military Gave them.

Latest resources

Back