Welcome to Flightinfo.com

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

VA GI Bill approved flight school

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web


Well-known member
Mar 19, 2002
Does anyone know where I can find a list of schools where my GI Bill can be applied to flight training? Specifically, I'm wondering if AllATPS qualifies. Thanks.

There is no "list" per se. The school needs to be part 141 to use your benefits. ATPs is not part 141, so you can't use your GI bill there. Many of the AF aero clubs are part 141.
I'm not sure if they all work with the VA but I think one of the big selling points for a school to be part 141 is to attract the VA students. All of the 141 schools I looked at did VA.
It's been a while since I used it, but here's what I remember...

A flight school must be approved by the state. Part 141 implies, but doesn't guarantee approval. In theory, a Part 61 school could be approved, but I don't know of any.

Unless things have changed since 1993(the first time I used my benefits), you must apply for benefits for each training course. I had to apply for the benefits for my CFII and MEI seperately.

Start with the 141 schools in your area. If you don't like what you find, keep looking. American Flyers in Addison, TX is where I used my benefits. I haven't seen any of their ads recently but I believe all their locations are approved for GI Bill. Quantico MCAS was approved.

Fly safe!
You can not use any GI benifits at ALL ATPS.

The best GI benifit, wham bam, flight training place is St Charles flying service in ST Louis. I know a bunch of people who have used them, they know how to work the system, and are a rare place that lets you solo in a Dutchess after only 25 hours in it. Check them out. They are the best bang for your buck. You can also get a sallie mae loan to finance the rest of what the VA does not cover.
Try Mazzei Flying Service in Fresno, CA. Part 141, VA approved, guaranteed in writing to complete all of your training for a fixed cost, been around for 50+ years, same owner for the past 25 years. They'll do a great job for you. BTW, if you get your AMEL with them they will rent you the a/c solo as soon as your certificate is signed (about 10 hours total). Their logic is that if they signed you off for your ride you must be qualified to fly the plane or else you don't get signed off. They've been around long enough and are good enough at what they do that their insurance company agrees with them.

I was allowed to use my VA funds in a military flying club that was not 141, that was between 7 to 10 years ago. I used it to get my comm SEL and CFI.
the absolute best place is any military flying club. I used my VA benefits at a navy flying club. dirt cheap prices, no taxes, instruction was usually from a military pilot mostly helo guys trying to get fixed wing time. When I went for my multi-engine rating i did it in a Baron for $145 an hour and was able to take trips on my own as soon as i passed my checkride with about 15 hours. there are additional rules you have to follow especially if you fly off the military airfield.

Latest posts

Latest resources