• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

VA GI Bill approved flight school

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The problem for me and military flying clubs is that I'm stationed in Germany and that limits my options quite a bit. Do Aero clubs typically allow members / students who are separated from Active Duty and / or in the Guard? Maybe when my Active Duty stint is over and I'm back in the states I can utilize an aero club. Also, does the VA still only pay 60% when flying with a military flying club? Thanks.

-Brett.

Last edited:
I think the only way you can use the aero club after you are out is if you are retired. If you're in the reserves, you still have access. The VA still only pays 60%, aero club or off-base

actually if you join the civil air patrol you can still use the aero clubs, at least Navy clubs you can.

IMHO military aero clubs are the worst place to knock out ratings. First of all it is tied to the military, so lots of red tape and bs. Many of the IPs at those places are retired military guys, not hungry enough to fly their asses off. Not the fastest way to get things knocked out, and a pain in the ass even to be a renter there. A lot less hassle at mom and pop FBOs to rent.

I can't speak for aero clubs OCONUS, but CONUS-based aero clubs should let Reserve/NG in as associate members. That's how I did things at Quantico MCAS. A NCO in my last ARNG unit is active in the WPAFB flying club.

I was typing you a responce and spell checking it and lost the message, send me a PM with a phoe number and I will call you and answer a lot of questions for you. I used my VA to get me up to my ATP. I have all three cfi's and two ground instructor ratings. Dont rush into a flight school. try this link

http://www.gibill.va.gov/Education/LCweb/search.asp

also look at the VA web site to get the real story. www.va.gov

Any flying club is only as good as its members. I am sure that you will get a lot of extra quality training and advice at a club. And for anyone looking into using ALLATPS for training I will ask the chief instructor in JAX on monday it think they just got there 141 cert so pepole can do add ons.

Military Flying Clubs are OK

The reply about a lot of red tape at military aero clubs was correct, but, old airplanes maintained to military standards means one less thing to worry about. The prices are low, the fuel is lower than on civilian fields, you must find the instructor you "mesh" with, and yes, the time may be longer, but, worth it. If you are not retired, a reservist, civil service worker or family member of all mentioned, join the Civil Air Patrol. You do not have to go to meetings only pay your annual dues. Plus, you can fly single-engine aircraft for the lowest rates anywhere (only pay the fuel). And, because CAP requires you to maintain proficiency levels, there are some tax benefits to being in CAP and flying to maintain proficiency (check with your tax advisor). One thing I did not like about military aero clubs was the requirement to attend the monthly safety/information meetings. I lived more than an hour from my last club and they always met at 5 p.m., not during the early evening. Because of work, that put a strain on my attendance (and if you missed three in a row you were suspended from flying until the club mgr. cleared you).

Latest resources

Back