• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

v2 to 1500 agl??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tried V2 to 1500 at my previous job (560 Ultra)......just for fun and we were empty. Pitch was somewhere between 20 and 30 degrees......good times

Most of our profiles are ~V2+15 until acceleration height (normally 500AGL), which is when we retract flaps and accelerate to our normal climb speed (200 or 250 kts depending on airspace, etc.)

blzr said:
Just line up with the flight diretor and take what it will give you. V2 is a single engine speed. In our jet, the profile calls for flaps up @400' with a speed of >140kts. If we are holding V2 with both engines at 99%, it would be rather uncomfortable for the pax.
Wrong answer. Thank you for playing, you just failed your line check. Back to the right seat for you. :D

Most airlines run V2+10-20, all the way from gear up to acceleration altitude (which changes between aircraft and higher-than-standard terrain cleanup altitudes).

Secondly, normal takeoff thrust is almost never 99%.

Lastly, when's the last time you took off in the back of a DC-9? Those boys put you back in your seat every time. Jumpseating you'll see them do the same thing, pitch for the flight director as soon as they clear ground effect then adjust their pitch to maintain speed which their V2+10 speed is actually bugged on the ASI.

Every airline is slightly different, but pitching for the command bars with no respect to speed in the CRJ (not selecting speed mode but leaving it in TO/TO) this time of year when the aircraft is near-empty will make you bust 200 kts before you clear the airport boundary. These engines were built for low-altitude, high-speed maneuvering and they work very well down low.

Getonit, to answer your question, I've been through 3 different schools (Flight Safety, Simuflight, and Pan Am in Miami) for Lear training, and not a single one has ever said to pich for V2 to acceleration altitude and their training is standardized for all jets they teach. V2+10 to V2+20 in 2nd segment climb for pretty much every business jet out there I know of.

Last edited:
What up Nick... Did you ever get your money back that we paid to ride on our own plane to Mem.

Lear70 said:
Wrong answer. Thank you for playing, you just failed your line check. Back to the right seat for you. :D

Most airlines run V2+10-20, all the way from gear up to acceleration altitude (which changes between aircraft and higher-than-standard terrain cleanup altitudes).

Secondly, normal takeoff thrust is almost never 99%.

Lastly, when's the last time you took off in the back of a DC-9? Those boys put you back in your seat every time. Jumpseating you'll see them do the same thing, pitch for the flight director as soon as they clear ground effect then adjust their pitch to maintain speed which their V2+10 speed is actually bugged on the ASI.

Every airline is slightly different, but pitching for the command bars with no respect to speed in the CRJ (not selecting speed mode but leaving it in TO/TO) this time of year when the aircraft is near-empty will make you bust 200 kts before you clear the airport boundary. These engines were built for low-altitude, high-speed maneuvering and they work very well down low.

Getonit, to answer your question, I've been through 3 different schools (Flight Safety, Simuflight, and Pan Am in Miami) for Lear training, and not a single one has ever said to pich for V2 to acceleration altitude and their training is standardized for all jets they teach. V2+10 to V2+20 in 2nd segment climb for pretty much every business jet out there I know of.

If you are correct, then we can't put our flaps up at 400ft which is what the checklist calls for...> 140kts indicated. Our t/o chart calls for 99% (1000 ft field elevation) unless we get above 25c. Pitch for the V-bars and everything seems to fall into place. We keep it safe and comfortble for the pax. Never busted a line check or any other checkride, for that matter. However, your point is well taken.

Fly safe.

blzr said:
If you are correct, then we can't put our flaps up at 400ft which is what the checklist calls for...> 140kts indicated. Our t/o chart calls for 99% (1000 ft field elevation) unless we get above 25c. Pitch for the V-bars and everything seems to fall into place. We keep it safe and comfortble for the pax. Never busted a line check or any other checkride, for that matter. However, your point is well taken.

Fly safe.
What aircraft are you in and at what company? Are you referring to N2 speed or N1?

Our N1 speed is almost always something around 86-90% if using reduced thrust / flex takeoff numbers, 92-96% if going max thrust.

Most of the companies operating the CRJ that I've jumpseated on (3 besides ours) use 200 feet speed mode, 400 feet heading mode, 600 feet autopilot on (most people hand-fly for a while), at 1,000 feet AGL (if no obstacles), select 200 knots, and as the aircraft accelerates through V2+12 (flaps 8) or v2+20 (flaps 20), flaps up.

Selecting climb thrust happens differently for most of them or no one's standard, I don't know what their books actually say but 2nd segment seems to be pretty standardized, never seen 400 feet acceleration for any jet I've flown, but I'm sure there's someone else out there who does.

Latest resources

Back