USMC + The Russian

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
inthewind said:
I loved the Corps and I would have never traded my Dress Blues in for a skirt just to have the word Air in my name.
Ouch man............ :laugh:

MarineGrunt said:
If you just want to fly, don't go military. If you want to serve your country first and do some flying while you're at it, go AF or Guard.

I might be wrong, but I don't believe his ambitions for military service are in question. While we're on the topic, though, I thought http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?p=814150#post814150 was a pretty good read, especially for those currently in the application process.

AD SUPT Hopeful said:
I might be wrong, but I don't believe his ambitions for military service are in question. .

you missed his point. jarhead officer recruiters are a bit gung ho and not too impressed with zoomey wannabees and officers in the marines are pilots 2nd. :)

Last edited:
First off, Russian, there is no resume you need to take to the OSO's office. You will during the course of your application have to fill out a length application, which the OSO will help you with. Taking a pre-resume, however, will not serve any purpose.

Secondly, Jafar's advice should be stricken from the record. An applicant has to tell the OSO if (s)he is interested in flying. You can get into a Marine Corps commissioning program as a 1) ground contract, 2) SNA contract, 3) SNFO contract, 4) law contract. So by not mentioning that you want to fly, you could apply for and possibly be accepted for a ground job.

If you're joining only because you want to fly, yes, you're making the wrong choice. If you want to be a Marine, then being able to fly is a nice byproduct. As far as keeping your air contract a secret, it's not a secret, if you try to hide it you only bring your character into question. At OCS we were required during inspections to say "Good time of day, sir/ma'am. Candidate Name, Some University, Air (or ground) contract" when the inspector stepped in front of us. Don't lie about it. At TBS you will have to fill out rosters and all manner of paperwork with your MOS on it. Student pilots have a different MOS from ground officers. You will have meetings for air contracts. Your SPC will want to talk to air contracts.

You got more questions, shoot. I've been in 11+ years. Went from enlisted to officer through MECEP. I'm in Pensacola now in training.

MECEPGrad said:
Secondly, Jafar's advice should be stricken from the record. An applicant has to tell the OSO if (s)he is interested in flying. You can get into a Marine Corps commissioning program as a 1) ground contract, 2) SNA contract, 3) SNFO contract, 4) law contract. So by not mentioning that you want to fly, you could apply for and possibly be accepted for a ground job.

Oh no! Don't strike me from the record! :D Seriously I should clarify my statement. Of course they need to know you wish to be an air contract, the point I was trying to make is don't go in there with your logbook telling them all about your hours and how bad you want to fly Hornets. I had an air contract myself and I got it by passing the ASTB, passing the flight physical, and signing the air contract. 7 months after my flight physical, the OSO called me and said that I was now going to be an NFO, because Pensacola said I had a slight astigmatism on my left eye. Now again this is 7 months after the physical, the very same physical in which it was determined I had 20/20 vision near and far in both eyes. Apparently the cycloplegic determined my "cylinder" measurement of my left eye was out of range. I promptly took myself down to the local lenscrafters, NAMI regs in hand, and had a full cycloplegic exam done. They determined my left eye was close to, but still within standards. I took the results back to the OSO, had them sent up to NAMI, and was given more run-around. After a couple more months I decided to move on. My enlistment contract was over, so I decided I'd try out another service. I don't regret it. Now If you hard chargers don't mind, I've got to get back to ironing my skirt. :rolleyes:

semperfido said:
you missed his point. jarhead officer recruiters are a bit gung ho and not too impressed with zoomey wannabees and officers in the marines are pilots 2nd. :)
Correct. That was the point I was after.

Jafar said:
the point I was trying to make is don't go in there with your logbook telling them all about your hours and how bad you want to fly Hornets.

Now that I agree with. Only pilots like pilot talk. OSOs only like to hear "pilot" when it involves an air contract. That skirt remark, however, should be stricken from the record.

As stated before. The Marines are looking very hard for pilots. I'm prior enlisted and as of 3 months ago I was set to go to OCS until I turned it down and took a Guard Viper slot.

When I went for the physical I had 5 other dudes going through the process and let me tell you that:

a: Their ASTB scores just met the minimums.
b: They had absolutely no flying time at all.

Some will argue that the Marines are looking for leadership qualities rather than other things but let me tell you that as long as you are willing to play the "I want to be a Marine first and foremost" game they will work with you.

If you meet the minimums scorewise and can get around a 270 PFT I can almost guarantee that you will get the job. Thats just how it is right now...may not be tha case in a couple of years. Just ask the Navy and Air Force.

Latest resources

Back