Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

The_Russian

Low Level Pilot
I've posted on the military section a few times now asking you guys questions. First, I would like to thank you guys for the good advice. So now I have an "interview" with an officer recruiter on thursday to fly in the Marines. Any thing you guys can think of that I should prepare ahead of time? Maybe a resume or something on paper?

I would say that a resume wouldn't be bad. The USMC recruiters aren't very hard to impress. Just be yourself and make sure you let them know how much you want to be a Marine before anything else.

Last, make sure that you really want to do this. It will happen fast and I can tell you that chances are you will be in the June class. As long as you pass the ASTB (very easy as long as you study).

Oh...yeah...almost forgot. Do you like running?

USMCAirWinger said:
The USMC recruiters aren't very hard to impress.
Uuum.... enlisted recruiters, yes. Or maybe it was just every OSO I have ever met has been the devil. Marine Officer recruiters will take an extremely hard look at you and they will make you prove to them that you are worthy of being an officer in the Corps. Don't expect them to give you the sales pitch. You should show up expecting to put the sales pitch on the OSO. Expect some OSO's tend to be a bit tense and have the attitude of "why should I let this deuchebag be a Marine Officer?"

But once you sell yourself to them, you're golden......... just as long as you can run the 3 mile in 21:30....... AT LEAST.

MarineGrunt said:
Uuum.... enlisted recruiters, yes. Or maybe it was just every OSO I have ever met has been the devil. Marine Officer recruiters will take an extremely hard look at you and they will make you prove to them that you are worthy of being an officer in the Corps. Don't expect them to give you the sales pitch. You should show up expecting to put the sales pitch on the OSO. Expect some OSO's tend to be a bit tense and have the attitude of "why should I let this deuchebag be a Marine Officer?"

But once you sell yourself to them, you're golden......... just as long as you can run the 3 mile in 21:30....... AT LEAST.

I agree wholeheartedly with the above. If I were you I wouldn't mention anything to the OSO about wanting to fly. (Except in the very unlikely event he happens to be a pilot himself.) The two who I have dealt with were both grunts and didn't give a danm about airplanes or people who want to fly them. Running 21:30 3 mile will put you in the last 10% of the cats running at Quantico. I speak from personal experience. I was an enlisted Marine for 8 years and graduated from the PLC junior course in Quantico. Then I came to my senses and decided I probably ought to go to the service that actual mentions the AIR in it ;)

Bottom line, you want to be a Marine Officer, go to OCC. (Or OCS, depending on your circumstances.) If flying is the number one priority... Well... Just think about the mission of each individual service.

Thanks for the advice guys. I still have a lot of work to do to get into shape. It seems to me that you guys think the Corps is not the best choice for flying. Is there any way they can screw you even if all the paperwork and contracts are in order? Can I take the Class I before signing?

Huggy,
My status with the Makos is in limbo. I have talked to them but I don't know anyone in the unit itself. I have two guard units that like me, but I am trying for active duty first.

Thanks guys!

Russian,
They cannot screw you as long as you pass the AQT/FAR and ASFAB exams. Once you have a contract it's up to you. Don't worry about mentioning that all you want to do is fly. I did, made through and loved every minute, if I could waive my disability retirement I'd be driving Snakes in Iraq right now. My only suggestion is to invest in a pair of raquetball goggles for night nav at TBS. You'd hate to lose an eye running through the woods. (One guy in my company did) I loved the Corps and I would have never traded my Dress Blues in for a skirt just to have the word Air in my name. It is a great experience and once you survive PLC and TBS you won't regret it. PM me if you have any questions.

Russian - One thing I forgot to mention, which was touched on above, is DO NOT join the Marines because you want to fly. It is likely you will end up very unhappy. In the past, I wanted to fly for them because I wanted to be a Marine and serve my country. Flying was a distant third from those two. When my first child was born, family trumped the Marine life, so I went guard. Don't join unless you wouldn't mind ending up as an infantry officer some day. Not saying this will happen, it's just the attitude you need to have.

If you just want to fly, don't go military. If you want to serve your country first and do some flying while you're at it, go AF or Guard.

Good luck in whatever you decide. If you want to go guard and need some help with your application(s), feel free to PM me.

Marine Grunt is right, don't join the Corps to be a pilot. Join to be a Marine, if you get to fly that is gravy. And whatever you do, when you are at OCS/TBS don't mention the air contract. The instructors will make your life hell if they think the only reason you are there is to fly.

Latest resources

Back