Using a 737 type to get a job with a foreign carrier

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Way2Broke

Is it possible to get a job with a foreign carrier after obtaining a 737 type rating, and not having any time in type. If so what companies should I be looking at, if not, what is the best plan of attack to get time in type?

I received a grant to get the training, and I would like to use it to my benefit as much as possible.

most of the jobs i am seeing out there for the 737 require at least 100 hrs in type. i am not saying they are not out there i just haven't seen them. also just apply and see what they say. some jobs just want a type in a jet 737 or bigger so you will have that going for you. keep trying as i am right behind you in the process.

GAP Aviation told me they were hiring non-rated (and no time in type) FOs for Korean but you have to be under 45. Try them if you're not over the limit.

A guy I know was in China and asked a pilot provider there if he could do the same thing and the answer was, maybe. For me not enough to hang my hat on.

A guy who said his brother heard from this dude... ok

If you found money to fund a type rating that you don't have to pay back, by all means go for it.

If you are looking for an iron clad promise of a job, you won't find it.

The 737 type is probably the cheapest 'heavy iron' type to get. If you do go for it, make sure it is PIC type, and that there are no restrictions on it (such as circle to land VMC only) which many foreign carriers will require you to have removed.

F/O jobs are more difficult to come by, having PIC experience in a 737 or A320 can get you a job just about anywhere.

As far as India goes. The Indian goverment paid lots of money for many bright young lads to come to the US and get flight training in order to staff their airlines. Prior to that, they had to pay expat first officers exorbanent salaries. Now they have 300 hour wonder pilots waiting to fill those right seats.

It is a 737 PIC type, no restriction. Specifically it will be on the 300 series EFIS. I also have a DA-20 PIC type, but that does not seem to be helping me much these days. I guess the best way to put it is that I want to position myself for repositioning when the pendulum swings back our way. I am pretty happy with the layoff job I have found, but at the end of the day it is only keeping me current and putting food on the table. I realize how blessed I am too have found any work in this market, so for that I am happy, but my current job is not a career job, and I want the next one to be something that might be the last stop before the "planned" final stop.... wherever that may be.

In aviation things are either really good, or really bad. Either people are hiring and promoting, or laying off. There is no in between. Also, the engine is either running or it isn't. See.... its either really good, or really bad.

I heard a company out of Smryna, TN is buying 737's to start some EAS routes to Kirskvegas and Paducah

I plan on trying Miami Air actually. JetPig... I can see it now... CorpEx with 737s (we use to work at the same company)

If you could swing it, the 320 rating will open a lot more doors in the overseas market
depends on what other time you have to go with it..

Latest resources

Back