Use of WX radar to mitigate birdstrikes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

suupah

Does the use of modern day WX radar help mitigate birdstrikes? I know the ones in the fifties had that effect.

You couldn't even paint a house with the CRJ radar much less a flock of birds. I personally like the ol' Mark 1 eyeball.

I didn't mean mitigating Birdstrikes by being able to see them, but is there something about the radar transmission that birds can sense and at close range makes them flee out of the way?

If they are within 4 feet of the antenna, they flee away from the painful burning sensation.

P.S. It's way more effective if you turn the gain to +3 and tilt to -22

Old wives tale. They did a test once where they targeted flocks of birds with a 60's era missile tracking radar... the type that would make you sterile just looking at it. There was no effect on the birds.

I did hear a story about some navy guys shooting seagulls down at close range with the CIWS radar.

Just a story.

thats a myth. At the altitudes where we are most likely to hit birds we are doing like 300-500 ft/sec. Even if it had any affect on the bird at all they still won't have time to get out of the way. AND which way would the bird go? away? How would they turn away? They cant see or hear the airplane coming. Or know which way the airplane is coming from. jeez I put a lot of thought into a myth. I guess I just wish it really worked.

Latest resources

Back