Use of WX radar to mitigate birdstrikes

suupah

Total Time
Does the use of modern day WX radar help mitigate birdstrikes? I know the ones in the fifties had that effect.

joepilot29

Total Time
You couldn't even paint a house with the CRJ radar much less a flock of birds. I personally like the ol' Mark 1 eyeball.

dougdrvr

Total Time
Does the use of modern day WX radar help mitigate birdstrikes? I know the ones in the fifties had that effect.
C-band might have but this crap we have now probably wouldn't.

suupah

Total Time
I didn't mean mitigating Birdstrikes by being able to see them, but is there something about the radar transmission that birds can sense and at close range makes them flee out of the way?

BoilerUP

Citation style...
Total Time
1500+
suupah said:
...is there something about the radar transmission that birds can sense and at close range makes them flee out of the way?
No...

Flyin2low

Indentured Servant
Total Time
If they are within 4 feet of the antenna, they flee away from the painful burning sensation.

P.S. It's way more effective if you turn the gain to +3 and tilt to -22

ackattacker

Client 9
Total Time
hah!
Old wives tale. They did a test once where they targeted flocks of birds with a 60's era missile tracking radar... the type that would make you sterile just looking at it. There was no effect on the birds.

Axel

I did hear a story about some navy guys shooting seagulls down at close range with the CIWS radar.

Just a story.

BEfly

Regular User
Total Time
thats a myth. At the altitudes where we are most likely to hit birds we are doing like 300-500 ft/sec. Even if it had any affect on the bird at all they still won't have time to get out of the way. AND which way would the bird go? away? How would they turn away? They cant see or hear the airplane coming. Or know which way the airplane is coming from. jeez I put a lot of thought into a myth. I guess I just wish it really worked.

Dubya

Part time genius
Total Time
I use it to prevent United rampers in ORD from breeding.:uzi:

DoinTime

Total Time
6000+
Sounds like a question for Mythbusters.

crj567

I use it to prevent United rampers in ORD from breeding.:uzi:
Perhaps we could adapt that rardar to sterilize the gangstas on the ATL ramp as well.

jws717

registered abuser
Total Time
loads
I have flown with a few old timers who fire up the radar to scare birds. They say it messes with the birds sense of navigation.

Sometimes the old dudes know something, sometimes they have had too many reduced rests in a lifetime. I can say that I have not had a bird strike with the radar on.

DrewBlows

Go Tigers!
Total Time
I think the FAA should just make birds use a transponder...problem solved.:D

av8tor19

Total Time
I have hit one with the radar on and one with the radar off. It doesn't seem to make a difference.