• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Usapa lost!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Said the MDA F/O that never interviewed at Mainline or flew a mainline aircraft..........

:pimp:

The MDA FO who is still employed while over a hundred west pilots who actually DID interview at mainline and fly mainline aircraft for 4 years are on the street. Enjoy your windfall LearLove....

....It will only get worse. If this thing has any chance of moving forward, both sides need to mend fences with a joint contract that is fair to all involved. A cramdown of the Nic award by a Federal judge will only fan the flames.

Last edited:
OK, I'll bite.....what did we take?

It is obvious that the Nic award was a huge windfall for the AW pilots. Why else would SO much time, money, and energy be spent on implementing it intact. The west knows whats in the tea leaves. US Airways will retreat back east, as it has done in the past. Only base closures, mass furloughs, and displacements will be left in its wake.
The west guys know the Nic award is the ONLY life boat on the deck, and they're not about to let it go.

Here is an example of professionalism exhibited by an East pilot to a West pilot this morning. Talk about hostile work environment!

Attacked in SMF
The following event occurred in Sacramento, Ca on May,16 2009 at 8:00 am. On the hotel van to the airport were the crews from US 976 and US 42.

ME: Only one leg home today?

FO 976: (silence)

Me: Are there mostly 2 day trips in PHL?

FO 976: (silence)

Me (to my capt.): I think I'm getting the silent treatment.

FO 976: If your getting the silent treatment then why don't you shut up. I'm not giving you crap about your trip.

Me: I was just asking....

FO 976: I don't give a **** about you or your trip.

Silence from all for the rest of the van ride.

After exiting the van at the airport curb within earshot of passengers.

Me: I was just trying to be nice and have a conversation

FO 976: **** You !!

Me: I don't appreciate that language or hostility

FO 976: Go **** yourself. **** You. **** You. **** You. I don't give a **** about about you or your partner.

At this point we parted ways as he bypassed security (FFDO).

The flight attendants from Flight 976 then apologized for his behavior and thanked me for walking away from the situation

The FO was hired in 1989 and was on furlough at the time of the merger.
Have a nice day.

Cowboy75:

OK - you made me curious - so I looked up who was FO 976 on 16May09.
The name is irrelevant - but the issue is important. Sometime in the future we have to get a joint contract if we want to improve our lifestyles. I do not want to re-hash the last 5 years - so I just have two questions -

1. Why do the West refuse to agree to a 10 year condition and restriction from bidding each others base? That would protect the "attrition" for the east - and it would protect the west from getting bumped out of base from more senior pilots?

2. Why do the west believe that the phx Las furlough's are out of seniority when we are operating on two different contracts? Is that the same reason that some on the west believe the east should not be at parity for doing the same job since 2007?

Who knows what the future holds - for east or west. I don't want anyone on furlough. But what happens if their is a another merger and we are split up? Then we are all in more uncertainty - it could be good or bad for west and or east.

I do want us to get a joint contract - but in reality the east is not going to vote yes with the Nic as is - many of the senior 517 are getting a pay raise as they turn 60 and start receiving PBGC benefits - so they can live with LOA 93 for a few more years -

My two cents - not trying to flame - just would like a fair solution that benefits all 5000 of us.

Metrojet

.... A cramdown of the Nic award by a Federal judge will only fan the flames.

There is no cram down of the Nic. Both sides agreed that Nicolau should construct the list and that the list he would construct would be implemented as the integrated seniority list. Case closed. Time to honor commitments made.

That's a shame. I've seen bad behavior on both sides, although you guys seem a lot calmer after winning round one :)

But Metro your question about the fence is good: If it's all about the money, and you guys seem to think that the company will gush money on us if we can agree to something, and if you're honest that you don't want anything that wasn't yours before, then why not offer a fence and be done with it? No guarantee, but NIC with a fence might fly. I guess one problem is that your flying is shrinking, because your bases are mostly leisure markets, right? I'm not one of those armchair CEO's like a lot of y'all, but I keep hearing that AWA flying is contracting. I wonder what would have happened to you guys without this merger? I mean, I know Doug Parker told you all that it would have sucked, that you'd have gone CH11 and had to furlough, but I'm also sure none of you guys believe it or admit that it was true. Anyway, just sort of thinking out loud here. It takes two to have a disagreement this big, and your NIC-or-bust stance is obviously not helping.

Metrojet,

I appreciate the tone of your post. It is in the same spirit that I witnessed in the courtroom with East pilots I came in contact with. I understand the SMF incident had been reported and the parties involved will have some explaining to do. Sure, we can vent on these boards, but not in public.

Those of us on the West have been accused of some sort of windfall. Hundreds of furloughed East pilots were recalled after Parker & co put the deal together. America West was hiring in 2005, US Airways was not. 175 West pilots who brought jobs to the merger are on furlough or slated to be. Most of all of the furloughs from the East were hired after operations were moved to Tempe. Evidence was introduced at the trial showing a trend of traditionally West trips being flown by East metal.

I can tell you my life was better prior to 2005 and pre-US Airways. Downgrades, seeing friends furloughed and going back on reserve is my windfall. I thought the Nic was a fair integration by giving your pilots the top 500 spots and then using a ratio to keep us at our same relative positions that we held prior to the merger. If you were a flying West pilot pre-merger you kept your position. If you were a furloughed East pilot, you had an opportunity to return to a position with the newly merged company, stock symbol LCC. What were the career expectations for the furloughees of an airline facing liquidation other than finding another job?

I'm in favor of East parity. Obviously we differ on how we get there from here.

We'll know a lot more in the next few weeks.

I'm not one of those armchair CEO's like a lot of y'all, but I keep hearing that AWA flying is contracting. I wonder what would have happened to you guys without this merger? I mean, I know Doug Parker told you all that it would have sucked, that you'd have gone CH11 and had to furlough, but I'm also sure none of you guys believe it or admit that it was true. Anyway, just sort of thinking out loud here. It takes two to have a disagreement this big, and your NIC-or-bust stance is obviously not helping.

Maybe this contracting Bull s h i t will end if those USAPA morons win this arbitration for us westies - you know, the one about the 3,000 block hours per month that were illegally transferred to the East..........

:cool:

why not offer a fence and be done with it? No guarantee, but NIC with a fence might fly.

Sorry Sparky, the east's opportunity to make that argument has come and gone.

Latest resources

Back