• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Usapa has to go.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That was the SWA business plan about 5-7 years ago. Too bad for you that didn't happen.

I've got some news for you: this, and other companies, aren't going away. You're going to have to live with the competition. And the wages it earns. Which is, of course, why you are on this thread: you have the most to lose. Happy holidays!

Yeah- I've heard that SWA was poised to pounce-
But actually, I think it would have been better for you too- you could have moved on from your bk wages and divisive mgmt
We may just have to live with the competition and those wages-
But if we come down to you when we earn what SWA drivers earned in 1972 adjusted for inflation, is that a good outcome for anyone? Is that a good outcome for you?

I think the vast majority are quite content to let it ride indefinitely. They have their DOH list, so far anyway. A fence going on 6 years now. Another year and attrition kicks in and all those upgrades go to east pilots. LOA 93 sucks but considering everyone was weeks away from unemployment in '05, not the worst possible outcome. And there is the growing belief that staving off nic. implementation 'till a possible AA merger might mean a do-over; a SLI starting from square one using the three lists.

No rush to dump USAPA. It is doing exactly what they intended it to do.

That is the funniest thing I have heard, since "Full Pay to the Last Day!"

Aka: the best scenario for all involved would have been to let usair go out of business-

I'm not a big fan of what the east pilots did to the west either. Your "best scenario," has implications on people that have families.
It's real easy to spout something without putting any thought behind it.
Try to remember that when saying something, well......STUPID.

Actually, ripping off the band-aid quickly would have allowed the people and their families to get hired at a stronger airline improving the security and income for their families. Dragging it out simply burned up valuable days of life.

Actually, ripping off the band-aid quickly would have allowed the people and their families to get hired at a stronger airline improving the security and income for their families. Dragging it out simply burned up valuable days of life.

Well said^^^

I just simply believe that pilots are inconsistent: we rail against bailouts of mismanaged banks- yet bail out mismanaged airlines time and again -
Loa93 is a bail out, and wages are so low, that I can make the case that starting over would be better for a vast majority of east pilots
I'd rather spend my career as an FO for SWA than be a wide body capt for Doug Parker

A pilot who returned to USeast after a 5-8 year furlough is letting nostalgia cloud his understanding of the value of time. Having been on furlough before from an airline job for 4 1/2 years, I now know what a waste that time was. Give your old airline (or in certain economies , any airline) 18 months max, then move on without looking back.

Maybe for the few thousand people that could get hired at another airline. But what about the other 30,000 that rely on this job to support their families (and aren't in a position to move)? Had US Air failed, even the pieces that would have been picked up would have been considerably smaller (somewhere around 33-50%). What about the other 50-66%? Let them fend for themselves? Nice.........

No, they would have found a new career more satisfying than watching their current one slowly crater.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Some would have found a better career, certainly. But, a whole lot of them would have suffered immensely in the meantime... How quickly we forget that there are 28000 non-pilot employees here, and this place doesn't revolve around the pilots or our petty disputes (no matter how much we want it to). Many of them are quite happy here, and would take exception to your ideas that they would be better off if their job went away.

Latest resources

Back