Comair are profitable, why would they go into
bankruptcy," Ashcroft continued. "Profits at those
regionals and other wholly-owned subsidiaries are
completely notional. Delta is free to arrange those
contracts and books any way it wants, and can make
them look as profitable or unprofitable as it likes."
(Regional airline analyst Robert Ashcroft of UBS
Investment Research)

I am waiting for an answer.....You guys might be next---I don't know...??? Ask Gerry---not me.

Bye Bye--General Lee

We won't give General, we are making money. Here you go AGAIN - have you read this yet?
http://www.bts.gov/press_releases/2.../bts016_04.html

Delta brought down the industry, when they let their management fly all those rjs by non delta pilots, forcing others to do the same. Delta union sold us all out when they brought a d-scale to the airline industry. They were the first to give up a strong scope clause most airlines had.

marty

Last edited:
MCDU,

I think national ALPA $crewed that up by not thinking that RJs were good enough for mainline fleets. Delta pilots brought the industry pay average way up in 2000--and then things fell apart in 2001 after 9-11. The large RJ order erased all of our props--and brought in good revenue at the time.

Inclusivescope,

The reason you guys are profitable is because you fill a lot of your planes---but those planes used to be full 727s or 737s. All you are doing is providing a smaller replacement, when we could have larger planes on the same route bringing in more needed revenue. But, we parked all of the 727s, L1011s, and Md-11s---and other planes have had to be placed on those old routes as well. So, you guys now have planes that can't carry the same amount of people as advetised (due to the new weight system) on warm Summer days, and people don't prefer those planes anyway. Re-read my quote from the regional analyst---he has it right saying that Delta can manipulate the data anyway it wants to show profits. But, people will always prefer larger aircraft---and the LCCs are getting more and dumping the RJs.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
MCDU,

I think national ALPA $crewed that up by not thinking that RJs were good enough for mainline fleets. Delta pilots brought the industry pay average way up in 2000--and then things fell apart in 2001 after 9-11. The large RJ order erased all of our props--and brought in good revenue at the time.

Inclusivescope,

The reason you guys are profitable is because you fill a lot of your planes---but those planes used to be full 727s or 737s. All you are doing is providing a smaller replacement, when we could have larger planes on the same route bringing in more needed revenue. But, we parked all of the 727s, L1011s, and Md-11s---and other planes have had to be placed on those old routes as well. So, you guys now have planes that can't carry the same amount of people as advetised (due to the new weight system) on warm Summer days, and people don't prefer those planes anyway. Re-read my quote from the regional analyst---he has it right saying that Delta can manipulate the data anyway it wants to show profits. But, people will always prefer larger aircraft---and the LCCs are getting more and dumping the RJs.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Finally General, we can agree on something. ALPA did screw up big time - and now they are paying for their mistakes. As far as only making money because
"you fill a lot of your planes", I believe you need a little econ 101 lesson General. This industry has lost all pricing power. The best way to regain pricing power is to leave a few people behind. That will drive the price up (supply and demand in case you were sleeping during that part). This isn't a welfare program for big airplane drivers - it is a business. We need to drive demand up, not put in more seats and drive demand down. I hope you fly better than you understand economics.

Inclusivescope,

Econ 101, huh? The only way to combat lower fares is to have more seats available on each plane to spread out the costs. A 50 seat RJ and low fares do not work well together. Sure, there is excess capacity out there---but there are also LCCs. They have driven the fares down---and it will be interesting to see if Independance can be profitable using mostly CRJ-200s. They will need to run those things 15 hours a day to have a chance at squeezing out some revenue---and with bad wx and constant ground delays in the NE---it will be a sight to see.

Airtran and Jetblue are growing---in our backyard. We need to offer flights that compete on a price and comfort level---or we will lose. To have a chance at making any money on those routes--we will need to inundate the market with our product---one that is pleasing to the pax. Song, which has been doing better and even has surprised Grinstein (he stated that at the end of that last article that was posted about Delta) has 199 seats--and using the lower fares of Jetblue--we can actually do well with that many seats. (even with the higher priced Delta pilots---imagine that!) Capacity will work its way downward naturally with the market---some other carrier will eventually bail out--and capacity will go to normal levels--eventually raising fares. Then the carrier with the most seats will really win. Econ 101.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
They are fighting for their lives over there, and bringing down the rest of the industry.
. . . an unbelievably arrogant statement from someone who obviously hasn't walked that mile. My compassion lies with those in the fight rather than those who criticize from afar.

Red

Hey, if you read my quote again you can see that I know they are fighting for their lives---and at the same time the industry is going down with them. You can think it was a slam, but it wasn't. I was saying that most of our wages are going down with them. Read into that any way you want to--it is true.

Bye Bye--General Lee

It took a while, but the generals colors finally have shown. "The Delta professionals" are back. Give me a break.

General Lee said:
Hey, if you read my quote again you can see that I know they are fighting for their lives---and at the same time the industry is going down with them. You can think it was a slam, but it wasn't. I was saying that most of our wages are going down with them. Read into that any way you want to--it is true.
Spoken like someone who's never been there. I read it, and even quoted it. Re-read it yourself, you state first they (USAirways pilots) are fighting for their lives, and they (USAirways pilots) are bringing down the rest of the industry. Pretty specific criticism. If that isn't a slam on a proud pilot group and their families trying to survive, I don't know what is. A bigger person would apologize rather than spin his words.

Remember, dude, "time wounds all heals", so I'd wait until the dust settles at Delta before commenting on the trials and tribulations of the U pilot group, because you know not of what you speak.

Red

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back