• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAirways Pilots Offer 12% Pay Cut

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let's look at this new proposal from my US Airways brothers. A pilot making $150/hr at 85 hous a month times 12 months would earn $153,000. By increasing the monthly flight hours to 90 and applying the 12.5% paycut the same pilot would make $141,750. A difference of only $11,250, or a 7.35% paycut. They will also provide 17,500 more flight hours of productivity to the company per month. That equates to 206 pilots either no longer needed or 206 pilots who will be further delayed on their recall. The average flight hours/month at most majors on in the upper 70's. As a furloughed U pilot for over 2.5 years now, I do not see our union showing any concern for the furloughed pilot. Sure they'll auction off mainline flying to companies like Mesa, Chittaqua, and Transstates and say I can take 1 of every 2 seats of my flying that they gave away, at these lower than industry standard paying companies. Or I could go to this new Midatlantic, which as of today still doesn't have a working agreement. Mainline union can spit out a proposal for themselves, but can't finallize a Midatlantic contract that has been in the making for almost 2 years. I understand US Airway pilots are trying to save their jobs, and as history has shown they are great at looking out for #1, but they have abandoned a large chunck (almost 1800 pilots) of their so called brothers. While other airlines, who are hurting too, try to at least work on a schedule to recall their pilots, US Airways pilot group has found yet another way to keep us on the street.

InclusiveScope said:
General,
Don't plan on getting any from the ASA or CMR pilots. We have subsidized your pay long enough.
This statement is getting so tiring that I had to reply. It seems most of you guys at CMR and ASA point out that our company shows you guys as showing a profit. That is an ability they, meaning Delta management, have since they do all the books. Tell me how much profit you would have shown if you were an independant organization? You know pay for your on reservation centers and the likes. I bet not very profitable. But I can show you below where Big D is getting a lot of our debt. From our 10-k statement:

"During 2004, we expect capital expenditures to be approximately $1.2 billion, covering $600 million for aircraft expenditures, which includes approximately $500 million for the acquisition of regional jet aircraft"

$ 500 mil capital expenditures for RJs.Fact.

"We have approximately $1.0 billion of debt maturities due during 2004, ... These maturities include approximately $300 million due under short-term financing arrangements associated with our acquisition of regional jet aircraft."

So we, meaning mainline, finance $500 million this year for jets we, meaning mainline pilots, don't even get to fly AND about 1/3 of our debt for 2004 is due to RJ financing. So tell me again how you subsidize the mainline pilots?

I think some forget that USair had DCA closed on them for like 2 months wasn't it? How would American be right now if LGA was closed for a month? Or delta if SLC was closed for 2 months? Usair had some horrible luck as well in all of this. I think the average age of mainline usair pilots is 53....so i guess that means on average usair pilots are worried about the next 7 years. Might be part of the reason delta appears more concerned about its furloughees compared to usairways. Would it be safe to say that about half of the 1800 furloughed at usair have moved on to better things and will not be coming back? Half of that number would be 900 waiting for the call back to mainline. Just random thoughts.

DAL737FO said:
This statement is getting so tiring that I had to reply. It seems most of you guys at CMR and ASA point out that our company shows you guys as showing a profit. That is an ability they, meaning Delta management, have since they do all the books. Tell me how much profit you would have shown if you were an independant organization? You know pay for your on reservation centers and the likes. I bet not very profitable. But I can show you below where Big D is getting a lot of our debt. From our 10-k statement:

"During 2004, we expect capital expenditures to be approximately $1.2 billion, covering $600 million for aircraft expenditures, which includes approximately $500 million for the acquisition of regional jet aircraft"

"We have approximately $1.0 billion of debt maturities due during 2004, ... These maturities include approximately $300 million due under short-term financing arrangements associated with our acquisition of regional jet aircraft."

So we, meaning mainline, finance $500 million this year for jets we, meaning mainline pilots, don't even get to fly AND about 1/3 of our debt for 2004 is due to RJ financing. So tell me again how you subsidize the mainline pilots?
All due respect, I'm not sure you have demonstrated that we are not. You pose some questions that there are really no answers to at least for those of us outside the inner sanctum.

Your premise seems to be that there is a Delta management conspiracy to make us appear profitable when we are not. That is entirely possible, but it is also possible that we are in fact making money. If this is the case why should we take pay cuts?

As for Delta paying for our airplanes, it is entirely possible that the cost of those airplanes has been accounted for at our end of the equation and not left for mainline to pay for from theirs as you suggest.

General Lee said:
They are fighting for their lives over there, and bringing down the rest of the industry.
this has to be the most naive and hypocritical statement from a pilot who is going to give back a majority of his "industry leading" contract.....

-------

"We don't want to kill the golden goose; we just want to choke it by the neck until it gives us every last egg it has."

Last edited:
XRMEFLYER,

I never said that you weren't profitable, I said there is no way to tell as Delta does the books but if I had to bet it would be that you weren't. There is no doubt that Leo and his boy "RJ" Reid loaded the company with RJ debt. Don't get me wrong the RJ served it's purpose very well right after 911 when no one else had them and we had an aramada. The only numbers that I can find are public and they are in our filings which show that for the past few years we have financed billions of dollars of capex and interest for airplanes that we do not fly. I've never said a word about this because it is the nature of the relationship of our company, however for people to continually harp that they are subsidizing my salary, not mine because I'm furloughed but you get the idea, gets real tiring. The only way CMR or ASA could claim to be a profitable organization is if they were stand only companies with separate books.

B-727 freight dawg
used to be a Delta Pilot

DAL737FO said:
XRMEFLYER,

I never said that you weren't profitable, I said there is no way to tell as Delta does the books but if I had to bet it would be that you weren't. There is no doubt that Leo and his boy "RJ" Reid loaded the company with RJ debt. Don't get me wrong the RJ served it's purpose very well right after 911 when no one else had them and we had an aramada. The only numbers that I can find are public and they are in our filings which show that for the past few years we have financed billions of dollars of capex and interest for airplanes that we do not fly. I've never said a word about this because it is the nature of the relationship of our company, however for people to continually harp that they are subsidizing my salary, not mine because I'm furloughed but you get the idea, gets real tiring. The only way CMR or ASA could claim to be a profitable organization is if they were stand only companies with separate books.

B-727 freight dawg
used to be a Delta Pilot
When you refer to the RJ debt that the company has been "loaded" with are you suggesting that the revenue generated at DCI by those planes is insufficient to cover their cost?

DAL737FO said:

http://www.bts.gov/press_releases/2.../bts016_04.html
Once again DAL737FO, go to this link.
You will see that ACA, AirWisc,XJT, and SKYW actually have more revenue per seat and higher yields than ASA and CMR. These carriers are not wholly owned subsidiaries. If they are profitable as stand alone companies, why is so hard to imagine that ASA and CMR are not? In fact one could argue that our numbers might be better if we were indepenent. Take a look at the numbers and then report back...
http://www.bts.gov/press_releases/2.../bts016_04.html

please

General

Since when are you a member of the DAL finance committee or sitting in on meetings with the CFO? Are you a Harvard MBA?

Actually you just drive the freaking bus from A to B, so save the Econ 101 and Econ 401 Advanced lessons, seat revenue, all that horsesh1t. Gimme a break.

Go back to what you get paid your huge salary for, to release the parking brake, and get from A to B, and re-engage the parking brake.

Something your "commuter" brothers do 3,4,6 times a day, in all sorts of weather, at a fraction of what you get paid

save your garbage for the local flight school where people go "ooooohhhh he is a real airline pilot" and you can impress 21 year old kids with your captains hat.

please

Satpak77,

OK, what? Will you be one of the "kids" with wonder on your face? I''ll tell you are great story.... And guess what? I flew the "commuter" thing too and got paid half of what you do(8 years ago)---so get off your high horse.

Jbucpt,

I didn't mean it the way you think I meant it, and there was no way to edit it after 10 minutes due to the new format. Re-read it and think objectively----I was saying UNFORTUNATELY as they fight for their survival--the rest of us will continue to have our wages lowered. It is the truth, and I feel sorry for them and know it could be us next. If you want to read into it more than that--go ahead.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back