• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAirways off the runway at PHL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You idiots need to wait until the facts are out. You all sound like those jackasses on CNN speculating and guessing for hours on end.
Well, all those jackasses except for Kit Darby, right? I mean, he is THE authority on all things aviation, isn't he?

Airborne twice? On takeoff? She's got some splaining to do!!
Wait to see the photo of the aft fuselage floating around. 20 feet of tail scrape. Looks like an over rotation followed by a reject but popped airborne first. Big question will be why the over rotation.

Wait to see the photo of the aft fuselage floating around. 20 feet of tail scrape. Looks like an over rotation followed by a reject but popped airborne first. Big question will be why the over rotation.

Maybe there was no over-rotation at all. Maybe the tail scrape could have happened after as they settled back on the runway... Maybe the blowout happened at the same time as V1, tire pieces flamed out one or both engines, with plenty of runway remaining, they decided to abort and stop on the ground remaining, scraping the tail as they settled back on the runway. I doubt an over-rotation of any magnitude could blow out a nose-wheel tire...

Who can really say until we get the official data.

Maybe if the Concorde crew had aborted at high speed and ran off the end of the runway and only seriously injuring passengers instead of taking it it the air, they could have been hero's... Speculation sucks...

Last edited:
Maybe there was no over-rotation at all. Maybe the tail scrape could have happened after as they settled back on the runway... Maybe the blowout happened at the same time as V1, tire pieces flamed out one or both engines, with plenty of runway remaining, they decided to abort and stop on the ground remaining, scraping the tail as they settled back on the runway. I doubt an over-rotation of any magnitude could blow out a nose-wheel tire...

Maybe if the Concorde crew had aborted at high speed and ran off the end of the runway and only seriously injuring passengers instead of taking it it the air, they could have been hero's... Speculation sucks...
Yes, that could be what happened as well.

Last edited:

Who says a blown tire occurred at all? The USAir PR people? They were just going with the flow to get the story to the back burner.

The tail scrape is deep.

Even your scenario; "they decided to abort and stop on the ground remaining, scraping the tail as they settled back on the runway" is exceptionally unlikely. Airplanes under any control at all don't land hard on their tail.

So far it looks like an over reaction to an over-rotation.

Last edited:
Who says a blown tire occurred at all? The USAir PR people? They were just going with the flow to get the story to the back burner.

The tail scrape is deep.

Even your scenario; "they decided to abort and stop on the ground remaining, scraping the tail as they settled back on the runway" is exceptionally unlikely. Airplanes under any control at all don't land hard on their tail.

So far it looks like an over reaction to an over-rotation.

Who is to say what really happened... I wasn't actually there. No more speculation from me at all... patiently waiting for an official report...

Latest resources

Back