• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CaptJax

US Airways will stop movies on domestic flights

Thursday, July 10, 2008

(07-10) 04:53 PDT Tempe, Ariz. (AP) --
Better bring a book on flights. US Airways says it will start removing in-flight entertainment systems on domestic flights in November to save about $10 million annually in fuel and other costs.
Spokesman Phil Gee says the movie systems weigh about 500 pounds each, forcing planes to use more fuel to get around the country.
Jet fuel costs have skyrocketed in recent years, slashing profits and leading to thousands of layoffs and flight cuts throughout the industry.
Gee says US Airways will cut the movie systems from about 200 aircraft. But it will keep movies in its widebody aircraft for international flights and trips to Hawaii.
US Airways says it will test a lighter, seat-back TV system later this year. However, Gee says a new entertainment system is a long way off.

Here it is! The answer to all of our problems with the cost of fuel. And it was right in front of us all along! Take that, other airlines who are installing high end entertainment systems that the public is asking for!

Another in a long series of embarrassments. I suppose a lot of them we're MEL'ed anyway.

IN 3,2,1
Easties Suck !!!!!
No you Westies suck even more!!! (SO THERE}

I figured I would save everyone the 4 or 5 pages that we all know this thread will probably turn into.

Parker spoke to our ground school a while back. Someone asked him about the in-seat entertainment systems and if we'd ever be getting them. His logic was if you want to watch movies then bring your laptop.

remove 500 pounds..to save gas thats sad.....in that case theyll save a heck of a lot more without any passenger weight.

Here it is! The answer to all of our problems with the cost of fuel. And it was right in front of us all along! Take that, other airlines who are installing high end entertainment systems that the public is asking for!

Another in a long series of embarrassments. I suppose a lot of them we're MEL'ed anyway.

They're literally trying to stay in business. Yes the public demands top of the line entertainment, but if the numbers don't work then they've got to be fixed somehow.

"Thanks for flying US Airways..."

remove 500 pounds..to save gas thats sad.....in that case theyll save a heck of a lot more without any passenger weight.

Believe me, when selecting an air carrier, the ability to watch a crappy J-Lo movie is way near the bottom of my list.

Latest resources

Back