USair retirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jimdandy

Does anyone have the number for USair retirements? Wondering what career progression will look like once the merger occurs.

Also any info on America West retirement numbers?

Try a search..........I think the #'s were posted here before.

USAir ~ 200-300 / year

AWA ~ 50 / year

Quite a few of the AAA retirements for the next few years are already out on medical/loa. So it doesn't reflect the amount of active pilots that will retire.

Doug Parker said:

USAir ~ 200-300 / year

AWA ~ 50 / year

Probably add another 50-100 a year leaving going to UPS, Fed Ex, Southwest, JetBlue, Cathay Pacific and Emerites to name a few.

Older pilots going to Cathay and Emerites to subsidize retirement.

Thanks...

I did a search and foud the AWA info but no joy on the USair folks. I would imagine that in the next 10 year almost all of the active pilots will be retired?

stb said:
Doug Parker said:

USAir ~ 200-300 / year

AWA ~ 50 / year

Probably add another 50-100 a year leaving going to UPS, Fed Ex, Southwest, JetBlue, Cathay Pacific and Emerites to name a few.

Older pilots going to Cathay and Emerites to subsidize retirement.

Exsqueeze me? You're way off there. Cathay Pacific and Emirates do not take anyone over the age of 46 (Cathay) and 48 (Emirates). A bunch of furloughed US pilots went to Emirates, some active. I know of six US guys that went to Cathay Pacific Cargo and they were/are all active US pilots. UPS has hired a handful of US guys; all except one under the age of 50. FedEx has a policy that does not offer job interviews to active pilots at the majors. JetBlue has a lot of US guys furloughed and active; Southwest has hired maybe 30 US guys in the past few years...something about a "US Air stink"...

As for older pilots, I know of a few senior Captains that resigned and went to work for JAL cargo, and a bunch are flying corporate after retirement. Right now the aforementioned 200 a year retirements is correct.

Last edited:
The PLUG at U has nearly 20 years seniority. I believe someone ran the numbers and figured that 90% + of the current U list will be retired within the next 15 years.

I suspect the AWA list is much younger. With a merger and a reasonable economic turn around, it'll be a good place as far as seniority progression goes. Likely the best out there, relatively speaking.

TheDonger said:
stb said:
Exsqueeze me? You're way off there. Cathay Pacific and Emirates do not take anyone over the age of 46 (Cathay) and 48 (Emirates). A bunch of furloughed US pilots went to Emirates, some active. I know of six US guys that went to Cathay Pacific Cargo and they were/are all active US pilots. UPS has hired a handful of US guys; all except one under the age of 50. FedEx has a policy that does not offer job interviews to active pilots at the majors. JetBlue has a lot of US guys furloughed and active; Southwest has hired maybe 30 US guys in the past few years...something about a "US Air stink"...

As for older pilots, I know of a few senior Captains that resigned and went to work for JAL cargo, and a bunch are flying corporate after retirement. Right now the aforementioned 200 a year retirements is correct.

FedEx has hired pilots actively flying at the majors.

Southwest does not think badly of USAir pilots.

Don't know about the other stuff you post, but try not to hurt yourself with the FedEx and SWA misinformation.

FlyBoeingJets said:
TheDonger said:
FedEx has hired pilots actively flying at the majors.

Southwest does not think badly of USAir pilots.

Don't know about the other stuff you post, but try not to hurt yourself with the FedEx and SWA misinformation.

Read an internal email that was sent to all FedEx pilots on this forum http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=44663

I'll give you the Cliff's Note version:

" 4. Only sponsor zero-risk pilots. Pilots have “risks” if:
....they are currently employed or furloughed by another major airline."

I know a lot of pilots trying to get interviews....some have 11 recommendation letters from fellow FedEx pilots but Jack Lewis says no interviews to pilots that have jobs at the majors. I find it ironic that a former Eastern Airlines pilot, who got a second chance at the majors, refuses to interview from such a qualified pool of candidates. IMHO, FedEx's loss.

As for SWA, it's true, they aren't hiring a lot of US Airways pilots. And the "USAir stink" comments came right from the SWA hiring department. I hope you're right and they are hiring more.

Latest resources

Back